Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'd be worried that if I had a girl called Nell and she went through my really fat teenage phase she would end up Nelly the Elephant or Smelly Nelly or something.

Really struggling with boy names and 9 weeks to go. Just don't love any.
    Thinking maybe Leo/Aidan but don't think hubby likes those or any others!!

My very slim sister is Ellie and gets called smelly Ellie, mostly by her family granted but sure what are families for :P

Friends of ours have a little girl called Nellie and I actually think it's adorable, not a name I'd use myself but very cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'd be worried that if I had a girl called Nell and she went through my really fat teenage phase she would end up Nelly the Elephant or Smelly Nelly or something.

Really struggling with boy names and 9 weeks to go. Just don't love any.
    Thinking maybe Leo/Aidan but don't think hubby likes those or any others!!

Do kids still know the lyrics of Nelly the Elephant :D

Leo was on my list of boys names, some others were

Lucas
    Oliver
    Patrick
    Robert
    Jacob/Jake
    Rowan
    Conal
    Billy/Will/William
    Sam
    Freddie
    Joel
    Gus
    Saul
    Louie
    Stan/Stanley

Oliver had been the front runner until Husbands cousin had a baby boy 6 weeks before us and used it, so it would most likely have been Billy/Will/William.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

I like Maisie- its a very pretty name. Could you choose 2/3 and wait until you have her and see 'what she looks like'?- I know a lot of people do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

What about Eily? A cutie modern version of Eileen. Similar sounding name to your original choice.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Ayla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

hana18

I don't have any suggestions for you but please bear in mind that a child with an unusually spelt name will constantly have to spell it out for people as they go through life...I have a cousin Saidhbh!!

btw...congrats on the pending new arrival.

It seems like you've misunderstood the purpose of this section - this is Forum Requests, which is for putting in suggestions for new sections to be created.

There is a Parenting section, which might be more useful?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

<deleted post>

I'm pretty sure in Irish the fadas go the other way, i.e. Éala rather than Èala.

If you're going for the English version, I prefer Ayla to Aylah. Similar names maybe Ayda or Íde.

To be honest, if you're worried about looking like you copied your friend, it'll seem that way with Éile just as much as with Éala! Or indeed with Ayla/Aylah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

<deleted post>

Yes the latter! It comes from Eileen. Aisle/I'll ee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What about Eilidh? It's Scottish and pronounced Ay-lee, I think it's beautiful and in a similar vein to the name mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭pooch90

Éile will be called eile, the Irish for other and pronounced Ella.
    I think you're going a bit too 'out there' for the sake of it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I have a Maisie so I'm partial to it lol.

Any tips with boys names? I like Ollie but it's too ie With Maisie. Is Alex really common?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I have a Maisie so I'm partial to it lol.

Any tips with boys names? I like Ollie but it's too ie With Maisie. Is Alex really common?

It was no 12 on the top 100 most popular names in Ireland in 2014 (CSO stats) so it's top 20, but not top 10

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Nope, little girl called Abigail :pac:
    Boy's name for future is set in stone as Elliot, which is why we had to negate on Ellen. OH didn't think when he picked it :o So a surprise boy popping out would indeed solve all of our problems :P

How about Elodie or Judith ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lucuma wrote: »
    How about Elodie or Judith ?

Both suggested at the start and he didn't like either :pac:

If it makes things any easier, I've gone through 9 different websites with lists of "old English names" for girls. So I've pretty much had them all turned down at this stage! Due in less than two weeks (actually closer to a week now) so I've formally given up.

If it makes things any easier, I've gone through 9 different websites with lists of "old English names" for girls. So I've pretty much had them all turned down at this stage! Due in less than two weeks (actually closer to a week now) so I've formally given up.

she's going to end up being called after the midwife that delivers her so! :P
    I have my baby's name 100% picked out but am telling hubby I haven't a clue when he asks me about names....I don't want to take the risk that he might try to block it so am going to wait til after labour and then spring it....he can't argue with me then ;)

How about Portia?

How about Portia?

Not big on names starting with P to be honest! :o
    We did have Poppy shortlisted for Abigail for a while, but it feels more like a dog's name than a girl's name now! I love Lilah but OH thinks it's a stripper name. I've told him I'm not picking any more names and he'll have 24 hours to agree to one in the hospital after I give birth :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

What about Delilah or Layla?

What about Delilah or Layla?

Delilah is a big enough no for me as it's my mother's classic karaoke pub song :P But in any case OH said it would just get shortened to Lilah anyway. There's a canine Layla in the family, so that's out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Does anyone know anyone called Cadan? Is Cadan a real name and not made up?

Seen it today under boy irish names but not sure it is pronounce the same than Kaiden/ Kaden which seem made up names.

Galego wrote: »

Seen it today under boy irish names but not sure it is pronounce the same than Kaiden/ Kaden which seem made up names.

Honestly it looks more like a made-up spelling to Kaden/Cayden/Kaiden and if I saw it written anywhere, I'd assume it was pronounced Cad-Ann!

Delilah is a big enough no for me as it's my mother's classic karaoke pub song :P But in any case OH said it would just get shortened to Lilah anyway. There's a canine Layla in the family, so that's out too.

Cecelia, Anastasia, Juliana?

We'll fine a name for this baby yet! :pac:

Cecelia, Anastasia, Juliana?

We'll fine a name for this baby yet! :pac:

Too many syllables :pac:
    Julie/Julia/Judie/Judith/Jenny were all choices of mine - himself was having none of it!
    Honestly wouldn't care if all the pink things I bought had to go in the bloody bin, a surprise boy would be a lifesaver now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Too many syllables :pac:
    Julie/Julia/Judie/Judith/Jenny were all choices of mine - himself was having none of it!
    Honestly wouldn't care if all the pink things I bought had to go in the bloody bin, a surprise boy would be a lifesaver now :pac:

Pull rank on the naming. I did, for each of mine. I carry them, give birth to them so I get to name them.
    With himself coming up with names like Brittany and Crystal it was a foregone conclusion he wouldn't have any say in the matter :D

Pull rank on the naming. I did, for each of mine. I carry them, give birth to them so I get to name them.
    With himself coming up with names like Brittany and Crystal it was a foregone conclusion he wouldn't have any say in the matter :D

Ah in fairness, his suggestions (however few) have been darling and its mostly been an unfortunate agreement between us both that the baby would be named after no-one and that there are certain kinds of names neither of us like.
    He suggested the first and middle name for our first daughter and I loved it, and has suggested Molly, Katie, Lucy, Ellen, Hayley, Georgia, Georgina and Willow :o
    We agreed no family names, no place names, no gemstone names, no dog names and no "Destiny/Hope/Treasure" type names either. We also ruled out obvious unisex names as we have found it frustrating enough with people approaching our bald daughter and instantly assuming she is a boy :o Also, most names beginning with "R" are out for both genders, as the surname makes them sound very gritty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Galego wrote: »

My american friend has a boy called Caden. Pronounced Kay - din

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Ah in fairness, his suggestions (however few) have been darling and its mostly been an unfortunate agreement between us both that the baby would be named after no-one and that there are certain kinds of names neither of us like.
    He suggested the first and middle name for our first daughter and I loved it, and has suggested Molly, Katie, Lucy, Ellen, Hayley, Georgia, Georgina and Willow :o
    We agreed no family names, no place names, no gemstone names, no dog names and no "Destiny/Hope/Treasure" type names either. We also ruled out obvious unisex names as we have found it frustrating enough with people approaching our bald daughter and instantly assuming she is a boy :o Also, most names beginning with "R" are out for both genders, as the surname makes them sound very gritty!

Crikey! You've quite the job to find a name so! :D
    Maybe it'll be one of those occasions where when you meet your bub you will instantly know the right name! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How about

Biba
    Erica
    Freya
    Hella
    Stella
    Edith
    Louisa
    Millicent/Milly (I think Abigail and Milly sound lovely together :o)
    Roberta/Bobbie

• Advertisement

How about

Biba
    Erica
    Freya
    Hella
    Stella
    Edith
    Louisa
    Millicent/Milly (I think Abigail and Milly sound lovely together :o)
    Roberta/Bobbie

I love Freya and Edith but himself isn't too keen! Not sure about Milly at all, I know too many woofy Milly's :o
    OH suggested Lauren last night, it's growing on me :pac:

Advertisement