Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How about

Biba
    Erica
    Freya
    Hella
    Stella
    Edith
    Louisa
    Millicent/Milly (I think Abigail and Milly sound lovely together :o)
    Roberta/Bobbie

Stella is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

toadfly wrote: »
    Stella is lovely!

I love Stella, but himself vetoed it! In fairness it sounds far better with my surname than his.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I love Freya and Edith but himself isn't too keen! Not sure about Milly at all, I know too many woofy Milly's :o
    OH suggested Lauren last night, it's growing on me :pac:

Oliver was my top boys name (til himselfs cousin used it) and I know loads of Ollie dogs! And one pug who is most definitely Oliver, not Ollie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Not big on names starting with P to be honest! :o
    We did have Poppy shortlisted for Abigail for a while, but it feels more like a dog's name than a girl's name now! I love Lilah but OH thinks it's a stripper name. I've told him I'm not picking any more names and he'll have 24 hours to agree to one in the hospital after I give birth :cool:

It'll be Lilah then, I'd put money on it :rolleyes:
    I know a little girl calle Lilah. It's lovely but will be forever mis-pronounced/mis-spelled. Which is not something ye would have encountered with Abigail. I don't think that's a reason to not pick a name you love though, my daughter has one of those lifetime of being mis-pronounced/mis-spelled names!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Has Faye been suggested?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Has Faye been suggested?!

And rejected lol, fussiest dad going!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 butterfly234

How about -
    Kate/Katie ( I know its your husbands name choice!)
    Meredith,
    Emilia,
    Anna,
    Colette,
    Pia,
    Adeline,
    Chloe,
    Poppy,
    Grace,
    Sophie/Sophia,
    Alice,
    Evelyn,
    Eleanor Rose,
    Ella May,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ok, both of you write down a list of names, no more than 10. Names that you love. Then you each take turns crossing off you least favourite name. Whatever's left is what you name your child!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Or wait until your baby is born to see what name suits it. TBH I think the name needs to suit the little person and I'm not into set lists of names. You'd be surprised how the name will come to you when you see your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Stella is lovely!

I think of the beer "Stella Artois" when I hear this name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thoughts on the name Hugo for a boy? My husband isn't mad keen but I don't think its too out there? I don't want to give our child a name that makes him or her a target for teasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

detoxkid wrote: »
    Thoughts on the name Hugo for a boy? My husband isn't mad keen but I don't think its too out there? I don't want to give our child a name that makes him or her a target for teasing.

I think Hugo is a cool name. Definitely not too out there. Im biased though, my name is Hugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Whatever happened to normal names. Seems these days people are trying to out do each other for the most unique baby name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I feel like my names are very boring compared to what's being suggested here. We just found out that we're having a girl so our names so far are meabh, Aoife, Einin, aoileann. Sorry, phone refuses to do fadas!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

yellow hen wrote: »
    I feel like my names are very boring compared to what's being suggested here. We just found out that we're having a girl so our names so far are meabh, Aoife, Einin, aoileann. Sorry, phone refuses to do fadas!

I'm totally biased here but 100% Meabh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'm totally biased here but 100% Meabh :D

That's the preferred name here too. Meabh Brid after my mum :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

That's the preferred name here too. Meabh Brid after my mum :)

Yep, it's really lovely although we spell it Maeve. I think you should go for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pink One

We're expecting our second child. We love earthy, hippie kind of names. We have loads of girls names but only a few boys names! I love 2 girls mixed together like Rosanna, Elizabeth etc. Our daughter already has a two name name and I don't think we can go for a shorter name for the second as it wouldn't sound right, even though I love Zoe.

-Holly Anne
    -Meadow
    -Annie
    -Lizzie
    -Anais
    -Zoe
    -Sophie
    -Chloe
    -Mara
    -Angeline
    -Annabella
    -Summer
    -Evie

Boys
    -Heath
    -Finian.

We will keep adding to this list I'm sure :)

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Whatever happened to normal names. Seems these days people are trying to out do each other for the most unique baby name.

Your baby is unique though. Why would you not want to give them a unique name. I gave my first daughter an unusual name, it really suits her but at the same time it's not too far out there or made up. I'm a teacher and I hear the same names a lot.

On the giving your child an Irish name, I have a neighbour who named her daughter Sadhbh. Fair enough, it's a beautiful name but my neighbour tells people that Sadhbh is the Irish for Sarah. No it is not. Sorcha is the Irish for Sarah. If you going to call an Irish name, know the English version or just stick to the Irish imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

detoxkid wrote: »

I really like the name. It's relatively popular around here (a small town in , and I know of 3 Hugos) but I think it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Yeah I didnt think Hugo was uncommon either. I think my husband just associates it with the film. I'll have to sow the seeds for the campaign ;)

Lovely names. I wouldn't go for Aoife just coz it's so common 'popular' already but I love Maeve, Eanín, Aoileann (I presume that's Eel-an?)

I know an Eanín, that means little bird does it?

Pink One wrote: »

Boys
    -Heath

Seriously?!

Pink One wrote: »
    On the giving your child an Irish name, I have a neighbour who named her daughter Sadhbh. Fair enough, it's a beautiful name but my neighbour tells people that Sadhbh is the Irish for Sarah. No it is not. Sorcha is the Irish for Sarah. If you going to call an Irish name, know the English version or just stick to the Irish imho

I met a pregnant Mummy at a playgroup recently who was telling me she's giving her baby an irish name ''Saoirse''
    She said they are going to change the spelling and the pronounciation though so people can pronounce it so they're going to pronounce it Sor-sha and spell it ''Sorsha''
    I didn't say anything but the next week at the playgroup I pulled her aside and wrote out the 2 names for her. Saoirse which is the irish for freedom and Sorcha - an unconnected name which is the irish for Sarah which is what she in fact is calling her daughter (with slightly modified spelling) she was like ''Oh! I didn't realise, I'll stop telling people I'm calling her Saoirse so''. In fairness she is american though (i.e. not irish)
    I guess it would be a little more difficult for you to call your irish neighbour out on having the wrong interpretation of her daughter's name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Lucuma wrote: »
    I met a pregnant Mummy at a playgroup recently who was telling me she's giving her baby an irish name ''Saoirse''
    She said they are going to change the spelling and the pronounciation though so people can pronounce it so they're going to pronounce it Sor-sha and spell it ''Sorsha''...
    Saoirse which is the irish for freedom and Sorcha - an unconnected name which is the irish for Sarah
    I'd say she landed on a mashup of the two names.I'm not sure your interpretation was right that it was a variation of Sorcha:
    Woman says:sorsha
    Sorcha:surka
    Saoirse:sare-sha

Did you mean she changed the spelling so much she was inadvertently calling her a different name?

Roselm wrote: »
    I'd say she landed on a mashup of the two names.I'm not sure your interpretation was right that it was a variation of Sorcha:
    Woman says:sorsha
    Sorcha:surka
    Saoirse:sare-sha

Did you mean she changed the spelling so much she was inadvertently calling her a different name?

In Cork Sorcha is pronounced as you say : Sur-aka
    But in Dublin Sorcha is pronoucnced Sorsha!

Just to make it even more confusing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Lucuma wrote: »
    In Cork Sorcha is pronounced as you say : Sur-aka
    But in Dublin Sorcha is pronoucnced Sorsha!

Just to make it even more confusing :p

I'm from Dublin and have never know Sorcha to be pronounced Sorsha. A group of friends were actually discussing the name last night conincidentally and all pronounced sur-aka. That's what I learned in school anyway!

I thought Sorsha was a D4 adaption of saoirse or something along those lines.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have a cousin Sorcha in Clare who goes by "sorsha" while my brother's Dublin girlfriend pronounces it "surka"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I always knew it and heard it to be Sore-Sha in both Monaghan and Louth. OH is Cavan/Dublin and he said he would pronounce it the same way.

Advertisement