Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've only ever heard Sorcha pronounced Sur-ka.

I've also heard of the name Seoirse, pronounced Sore-sha, which can be Irish for either George or Georgina (as far as I know.)

As for Saoirse, I've heard it pronounced both Seer-sha and Sair-sha - I'm not sure which is more "correct"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Interesting pronunciation guide site

http://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/_s

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Current favorites:

Róise (Row-sha)
    Cara
    Ciarraí (Keer-ee)

Tadhg
    Conn
    Rossa (Ross-a) Although looks a little like 'Rosa'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Current favorites:

Róise (Row-sha)
    Cara
    Ciarraí (Keer-ee)

Tadhg
    Conn
    Rossa (Ross-a) Although looks a little like 'Rosa'.

Personally I wouldn't call my child the irish for Kerry. Do you live in Kerry? I'd be worried about rossa as you say being thoug of as a girls name written down. I love Tadhg but my husband has vetoed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Personally I wouldn't call my child the irish for Kerry. Do you live in Kerry? I'd be worried about rossa as you say being thoug of as a girls name written down. I love Tadhg but my husband has vetoed it :(

I don't live in Kerry, however I feel it's not much different than naming someone Clare / Clár. The name Kerry itself is pretty popular too, and I think Ciarraí is pretty :)

Yea, I agree about Rossa. It's a shame because I really like the name but seeing it written reminds me of Rosa :/

Róise is still my fav. Although it could potentially get confused for 'Rosie'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I don't live in Kerry, however I feel it's not much different than naming someone Clare / Clár. The name Kerry itself is pretty popular too, and I think Ciarraí is pretty :)

Yea, I agree about Rossa. It's a shame because I really like the name but seeing it written reminds me of Rosa :/

Róise is still my fav. Although it could potentially get confused for 'Rosie'.

I think claire/ Clare only works because it's actually a French name meaning clear/ bright. It's not actually naming a child after the county generally! I have a thing about place names myself, especially if you live in the country. Would never call my child Erin or Kerry personally. Have an Australian friend and they called their kid Sydney. Thought it was weird! Like calling your kid dublin.Maybe it's just me though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think claire/ Clare only works because it's actually a French name meaning clear/ bright. It's not actually naming a child after the county generally! I have a thing about place names myself, especially if you live in the country. Would never call my child Erin or Kerry personally. Have an Australian friend and they called their kid Sydney. Thought it was weird! Like calling your kid dublin.Maybe it's just me though?

Im the same, place names for kids generally sounds weird - especially if you dont have some affiliation with the place in question! Claire is still a runner for our wee one when she finally gets here, and Id insist on the "i" in the spelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rachel_Ann wrote:

You could go with 'Ross'?

On Ciarraí, I'd agree it's a bit unusual to call a child the Irish for a county you've no connection to, especially when it's not a child's name already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Ciarrai is too cutsey. It's fine for a little baby but for a grown up? Going for job interviews etc tbh. Besides teenage kids find nothing more cringey than a cringey name. She'll be called Ciara by people anyways so I'd give her that name -ciara and you can use the pet name ciarrai yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Current favorites:

Róise (Row-sha)
    QUOTE]

I never knew how that name was pronounced, thank you!
    Lovely name. I like all your names except Ciarrai (can't do fadas on foreign computer)

I think Rossa would be grand, easy to pronounce and it doesn't make me think of Rosa. I mean Rosa isn't exactly a well known name in the first place? I've never met anyone called Rosa. I have heard of boys called Rossa though

• Advertisement

yeah I know a US/Ozzie couple that called their kid Sydney as well and I think it's weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Have to agree with the other posters, think Ciarraí is awful. It would be a name I consistently rolled my eyes at if I had to teach her in school.
    Oh and if you go with Cara, she will be one of about 4 in the same age group called Cara/Caragh/Clara
    Róise is the nicest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Is roisin ever heard of anymore? Tossing around the idea here and I really like it. Think OH could be easily convinced too

yellow hen wrote: »
    Is roisin ever heard of anymore? Tossing around the idea here and I really like it. Think OH could be easily convinced too

I think Roisín is absolutely gorgeous! Rosie is a lovely name for a baby/toddler too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Roisin is one of our favourites if we have a girl..
    :)

I think Roisín is absolutely gorgeous! Rosie is a lovely name for a baby/toddler too. :)

Sorry... I hear Rosie and I can hear my dad singing 'bang bang Rosie, Rosie bangs all day!'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Im the same, place names for kids generally sounds weird - especially if you dont have some affiliation with the place in question! Claire is still a runner for our wee one when she finally gets here, and Id insist on the "i" in the spelling!

I'm Clare without the "i" :D and Genies middle name is without too.

teggers5 wrote: »
    Roisin is one of our favourites if we have a girl..
    :)

Well I know it's a girl on the way here so I think we're narrowed to meabh or roisin. I'm not being ignorant with my fadas, my phone just refuses to play ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Love Roisin YH! Beautiful name, not overused.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Well I know it's a girl on the way here so I think we're narrowed to meabh or roisin. I'm not being ignorant with my fadas, my phone just refuses to play ball!

I love Meabh too but hubby is not sure.
    Our other girls name is Anna..
    As for fadas, Im not even sure how to do them on the phone! :D

• Advertisement

Oh I think Roisín is sooooo much nicer than Maebh/Maeve/Maedhbh/Maedhbhdhbhdhbh! :D

Oh I think Roisín is sooooo much nicer than Maebh/Maeve/Maedhbh/Maedhbhdhbhdhbh! :D

Me too. I think it's a lovely name to grow along with into adulthood. I have a boy eith an old Irish name so I'd like to choose something in line with that. Think this baby could be it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We went with Claire Holly in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

We named our little girl Lucy, just felt like it was lovely and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We went with Claire Holly in the end :D

Congratulations Sha Sha!
    Claire is a great name! :D:D, any spelling of it!!

It's such a hard thing to chose a name. I'm going to wait till the babies are born to decide but I tend to favour nice simple strong names as I have a very exotic affliction of a name myself that brought me nothing but heartache in school.
    For girls I like Mary or Darcy (but very aware of the arsey part of that name that kids could tease over).
    For boy i like Harrison. It can be shortened to Harry but is a nice string name for a man. I also like Will not William so much though.

screamer wrote: »
    It's such a hard thing to chose a name. I'm going to wait till the babies are born to decide but I tend to favour nice simple strong names as I have a very exotic affliction of a name myself that brought me nothing but heartache in school.
    For girls I like Mary or Darcy (but very aware of the arsey part of that name that kids could tease over).
    For boy i like Harrison. It can be shortened to Harry but is a nice string name for a man. I also like Will not William so much though.

I wouldn't call Darcy or Harrison simple names :)
    Mary would be a very rare name these days, sure to be the only one in the class I'd say?

Lucuma wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Darcy or Harrison simple names :)
    Mary would be a very rare name these days, sure to be the only one in the class I'd say?
    When I say simple I mean simple to spell and simple to pronounce.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Really like those names and see where you're coming from with darcy :D really, really dislike the name William but think Will is lovely. I love shortened names so long as the name is that and not something else on the birth cert. Also love Harrison but again don't see the point of it being shortened to Harry. If the preferred name is Harry then just call the child Harry.

• Advertisement

When I say simple I mean simple to spell and simple to pronounce.

Darcy defo fits that criteria
    harrison would forever be asked if there are 2 r or 2 s I'd say.
    Not that that's a reason to not go for a name but just pointing it out

Advertisement