Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

fondue wrote: »
    Be prepared for someone to pronounce it like that though!

Oh if that bothered me I wouldn't pick an Irish name full stop. No problem correcting people on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Digs wrote: »
    Oh if that bothered me I wouldn't pick an Irish name full stop. No problem correcting people on it :)

From years of living in the states mispronunciation of Irish names is what puts me off them! ;)

fondue wrote: »
    From years of living in the states mispronunciation of Irish names is what puts me off them! ;)

That's understandable! The states is a whole different kettle of fish to here luckily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That's the other bugbear of mine - not choosing names because in other countries, people might get them wrong.

The Irish language doesn't have a monopoly on difficult to pronounce names and anyone with an ounce of manners will make an effort to pronounce a person's name properly. I'm sure there are Russian, Mexican and Italian names that are just as commonly mispronounced as the Saoirses and Pádraigs in the States. Did parents in the large Polish community we have here veto names in case they ever moved to Ireland? I doubt it.

Should we go back to the old days and keep recycling Patrick, Mary and Bridget or just stick to names that are spelt exactly as they are pronounced in Hiberno-English?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

There are some irish names that even irish people get wrong though, like my 19 month old's name. Doesn't bother me though....

You either like irish names and the fact people will mispronounce/mis-spell doesn't bother you or you don't like them/that does bother you. Each to their own! I can appreciate both points of view but my love of irish names wins out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love irish names and the excuse of foreigners not being able to pronouce them is silly,I can not pronounce spanish or chinese names.
    I have a common english name and it is rarely spelt correctly.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Same here. And I've a well known saints name - Older people used to always say "Oh, like the saint" and still spell it wrong. I've even been told as an adult that "did you know you spell your name wrong?" :rolleyes:

I think if you have an unusual name or an unusual spelling to your name you would not mind in the slightest if someone asked you which way you spell it or how you pronounce it.

I've seen plenty of Polish and Czech CV's and one clever thing they do is put the phonetic spelling under their name. No reason why the Irish cant do that if they go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I have a daughter Áine Mary and just found out I'm having another girl who will be named Méabh Cecelia.

I was 20 when I had Áine and now 25 and my friends prefer trendier or popular names. Where as I love the oldy Irish. I'm used to people making a bit of a face when I say names, doesn't bother me at all. Also Mary was my grandmother's name and Cecelia was my fiancé's grandmother's name. Which wasn't actually a plan, the names just felt right :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

PLL wrote: »
    I have a daughter Áine Mary and just found out I'm having another girl who will be named Méabh Cecelia.

I was 20 when I had Áine and now 25 and my friends prefer trendier or popular names. Where as I love the oldy Irish. I'm used to people making a bit of a face when I say names, doesn't bother me at all. Also Mary was my grandmother's name and Cecelia was my fiancé's grandmother's name. Which wasn't actually a plan, the names just felt right :-)

We have picked our baba's names

Íarla Sean and Eabhan Cáit.

Like you, I really love oldy Irish names.

Neither first names are family names, but Sean is my husband's grandfathers name and a version of his father's name. Cáit is my mum's name. I can't wait to tell her :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

brokensoul wrote: »

Íarla Sean and Eabhan Cáit.

I love the name Iarla, I remember meeting a nurse by that name and he was really impressed that I knew how to spell it and that I knew it was Earl in English! :) Apparantly he has a lot of trouble with the spelling/pronunciation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My dad is suggesting Kenneth for a grandson

I love the name Iarla, I remember meeting a nurse by that name and he was really impressed that I knew how to spell it and that I knew it was Earl in English! :) Apparantly he has a lot of trouble with the spelling/pronunciation!

Our two will have an Irish surname anyway so they will just have to get used to spelling and pronouncing it for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

arla Sean and Eabhan C it.

PLL wrote: »
    I have a daughter ine Mary and just found out I'm having another girl who will be named M abh Cecelia.

I was 20 when I had ine and now 25 and my friends prefer trendier or popular names. Where as I love the oldy Irish. I'm used to people making a bit of a face when I say names, doesn't bother me at all. Also Mary was my grandmother's name and Cecelia was my fianc 's grandmother's name. Which wasn't actually a plan, the names just felt right :-)

arla Sean and Eabhan C it.

Like you, I really love oldy Irish names.

Neither first names are family names, but Sean is my husband's grandfathers name and a version of his father's name. C it is my mum's name. I can't wait to tell her :-)
    No need for the fada on the I in Iarla. "Ia" is pronounced like as in Liam, Cian Ciara etc.

This singer from the Gaeltacht spells his name with no fada: https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iarla_%C3%93_Lion%C3%A1ird

https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iarla_%C3%93_Lion%C3%A1ird

BarraOG wrote: »
    No need for the fada on the I in Iarla. "Ia" is pronounced like as in Liam, Cian Ciara etc.

This singer from the Gaeltacht spells his name with no fada: https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iarla_%C3%93_Lion%C3%A1ird

https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iarla_%C3%93_Lion%C3%A1ird

He is my husband's cousin!

I am not getting involved in the fada debate, my husband's family are the Irish speakers so they can debate it out among themselves ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Eabhan Cáit.

how do you pronounce that - Evan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Lucuma wrote: »

I was thinking the same. :o Source for confusion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I heard a new one today - Croiadh (fada on the i, can't figure it out right now!). It's a girl's name, never heard that before!

We had our second in April, and named her Avril. Not because it was April, just because we like the name (her due date was March :) ).

Brokensoul, are you waiting til the birth to tell your mum? There's just nothing like the feeling of making that phonecall :) Makes me cry even remembering it!!!

Eve-ann.

BUzyIzzy - yup, no one in our families know the genders not to mind the names!

Enjoy every second of it.It's amazing :-)

Eabhan C it.

Connemara pronunciation: http://forvo.com/search/Eabhan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    I heard a new one today - Croiadh (fada on the i, can't figure it out right now!). It's a girl's name, never heard that before!

We had our second in April, and named her Avril. Not because it was April, just because we like the name (her due date was March :) ).

Brokensoul, are you waiting til the birth to tell your mum? There's just nothing like the feeling of making that phonecall :) Makes me cry even remembering it!!!

I remember making that call too, we named our son after his great grandfather on his Dad's side and middle name after my father. There was lots of tears and that was just from the men!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just heard of a little girl called Lena (pronounced Lee-na), named after her mammy, Eileen. I think its lovely :)

https://forvo.com/search/Eabhan/ga/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Just heard of a little girl called Lena (pronounced Lee-na), named after her mammy, Eileen. I think its lovely :)

Oooh, that's LOVELY! Not just the name (personally I'm into spelling them the most common way, or spelling them how they sound) but the sentiment without replicating the name! And it helps that the name itself is super nice!

I am bumping this in the hopes trawling through page after page will provide divine inspiration for a girl!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    I am bumping this in the hopes trawling through page after page will provide divine inspiration for a girl!!!

Aw digs are you pregnant again? I remember you from the pregnancy forum before.
    What sort of names are you after? English? Irish? Classic? Old? Modern?

yellow hen wrote: »
    Aw digs are you pregnant again? I remember you from the pregnancy forum before.
    What sort of names are you after? English? Irish? Classic? Old? Modern?

Ah YH I hope you and the kids are doing well! I am expecting #3 in November! We don’t know what we’re having but have Tadhg or Rory for a boy. That’s where it ends, after naming two girls we’re struggling! My husband loves traditional Irish boys names but is less receptive to girls!
    This is what we have but none are completely grabbing us - Aoife, Laoise, Naoise, Ada. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Irish at this stage. I’d take anything that sounds attractive haha.

I know Naoise is a boys name before anyone murders me but it seems to be going 50/50 these days. My daughter has a girl Naoise in her class also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Aren't baby names just names?

Here are some names that we considered:

Ailbhe, Ailín, Ailís, Áine, Aisling, Aoibhe, Aoibheann, Aoibhín, Aoife, Aoise, Banbha, Bébháil, Bébhinn, Bláithín, Brenda, Bríd, Brídín, Cailín, Cáit, Caitlín, Caitríona, Caoilinn, Caoimhe, Cara, Clodagh, Clothra, Cobhlaith, Dearbhaile, Dearbhla, Deirdre, Doireann, Éabha, Eadan, Éadaoin, Eibhlín, Éile, Eileen, Eilís, Eimear, Éimhín, Éinín, Eirnín, Eithne, Éle, Ella, Fiona, Gráinne, Íde, Líadan, Máire, Mairéad, Máirín, Moire, Móirne, Muireann, Muirín, Neasa, Nóinín, Nóirín, Nóra, Nuala, Órla, Orlaith, Ríona, Róisín, Saoirse, Saorla, Seána, Shauna, Shona, Shóna, Sibeal, Síle, Sinéad, Siobhán, Síofra, Síomha, Síona, Sorcha, Tara, Treasa, Tríona, Uainín, Úna

Most of these names are pronounced here: https://forvo.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Congratulations digs. I love rory. Also love simple names like Seán and Tomás. For girls I like Ceola, Meabh, Eimear, Róisín.

Advertisement