Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options
1127128129130131133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Digs wrote: »
    Ah YH I hope you and the kids are doing well! I am expecting #3 in November! We don’t know what we’re having but have Tadhg or Rory for a boy. That’s where it ends, after naming two girls we’re struggling! My husband loves traditional Irish boys names but is less receptive to girls!
    This is what we have but none are completely grabbing us - Aoife, Laoise, Naoise, Ada. Doesn’t necessarily have to be Irish at this stage. I’d take anything that sounds attractive haha.

I know Naoise is a boys name before anyone murders me but it seems to be going 50/50 these days. My daughter has a girl Naoise in her class also.

A few that came to mind that you might like.

Aideen
    Saorla
    Blaithín (blaw-heen, meaning little flower)
    Alana
    Caoimhe
    Meadhbh
    Síofra
    Aoibheann

Not so Irish..

Sadie
    Hannah
    Freya
    Emily
    Zoe
    Ruby
    Lydia

Would any of those catch your eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I love Róisín, Caoimhe, Eimear & Alana but family rules them out!!

Aoibheann is actually one we both agree on but my sisters friend is called Aoibheann and she’s constantly correcting people, she was warning me recently it drives her nuts. People seem to get confused with the Aoibh, Aoibhe, Éabha type names. I know there’s the Eavan spelling but again is this going to cause her problems?

We’ve toyed with Saorla and Ceola too. Freya my husband mentioned last night aswell, I quite like it. Our other issue is my first daughters name ends in agh, and my second the letter A so we seem to be drawn to names that end in the ah sound, a trio of them sounds a bit rhymey :O

ETA: if we had a daughter in the morning we’d genuinely struggle. Didn’t have this on the other two! I don’t want to give a third girl a name I don’t love as much as her sisters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

The mispronunciation of Aoibheann drives me mad!

Some Irish girls names I like are ... Cora, Aoibhe, Sabdh, Macha, Una, Siobhain, Tara, Riona, Nora, Deirdre, Eadaoin, Clodagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My daughter is Deirdre, I like that it’s Irish but not very used in children lately. Must Deirdre’s I know are 40plus...
    Other names I Love are Clodagh, Grainne and Maisie.

I love Tiernan for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Lisha wrote: »
    My daughter is Deirdre, I like that it’s Irish but not very used in children lately. Must Deirdre’s I know are 40plus...
    Other names I Love are Clodagh, Grainne and Maisie.

I love Tiernan for a boy.

I had a little boy 2 weeks ago, was going to be named Tiernan or Lachlan but 2yo daughter couldn't pronounce either so we went with Jacob/Jake :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Love the more traditional Irish names - Ciara, Ròisín, Òrla, Aoife.
    Some of the make recent ones I am not a fan of. Also don't like names that are constantly mispronounced - esp of parents give the name the incorrect Irish spelling in the first place and then correct anyone who calls the chi,d the correct name for the spelling! Drives me nuts ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Digs I hear you on the struggle for girls names, we had a boys name straight away but struggling big time with a girl x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Maeve is another nice one that you rarely hear these days. My newest niece was very nearly named that recently, it's a beautiful name. (They went for Lucy in the end.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Thanks for all the suggestions! My husband loves the more traditional boys names but for some reason is a hard sell on the girls ones. He does like Aoife though and well think further on Aoibheann.

Maeve is just one I don’t like and neither does he. I’m not sure why but I think I associate it with a girl I went school with. Typical Irish response!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

My little boy is 5 weeks old and we named him Rowan :) mixed responses to it but we love it, people do think it's ronan tho!

• Advertisement
Advertisement