Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

keano_afc wrote: »
    My wife's sister is currently over there and she has a 5 year old called Cathal. He came home from school one day saying he hated his name because nobody could pronounce it.
    Dean3y wrote: »
    I too am considering Cathal for a boy, and Erin for a girl. Any thoughts? I am due in 4 weeks and finding it really difficult to decide.

I named my wee man Cathal. My hubbie wanted Charlie and I wanted an Irish name, he can call him Charlie if he wants. I'm smiling at your post keano as I had some craic explaining the pronunciation to my English cousins: "Coh-hil", "Cah haul?" "No, Coh-hill" "Caw hill?" "No, Coh-hill" "No, can't get it it" "Well, everyone up here (Donegal) pronounces it Ca-hill, if that helps....." "Oh Cahill! Why didn't you just say that?!":rolleyes:

And the poor fella has a Wesht of Ireland mammy who calls him 'Coh-hill', while everyone he'll ever meet up here will call him 'Cahill'. I actually get a kick out of hearing some of my in-laws trying to pronounce it my way out of politeness! And this is from people who pronounce the surname 'Bonner' as 'Bone-er'......:D

Dean3y, it's a great name - it's traditional and does turn up in the top 100 (#47 in 2009), but isn't too common. The only reason I have bother with the pronunciation is because of where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My name is Síomha and the amount of problems I've had with the name!

I wonder how many of you can even pronounce it! :P

She-va? It's gorgeous, what's the origin? I haven't come across it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

Dean3y, it's a great name - it's traditional and does turn up in the top 100 (#47 in 2009), but isn't too common. The only reason I have bother with the pronunciation is because of where I live.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Deemark, I love the name Cathal, and have a feeling its a boy.
    But if its a girl, I have Erin, Eavan, Leah.
    But no other boy names!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

How many unmarried expectant Mums are giving the baby the fathers surname instead of their own? Just interested to see why people choose one or the other. We will be giving the baby the fathers surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had all 3 while unmarried, the first i had at 19 and i gave her, her dads surname as i didnt want her having my dads parents surname (as i hate them). 5 years and 10 months later i had another one and 17 months later i had another one all of them have their dads surname (all have the same dad)

* we got married 2 years ago so now we all have the same surname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Winnie wrote: »
    How many unmarried expectant Mums are giving the baby the fathers surname instead of their own? Just interested to see why people choose one or the other. We will be giving the baby the fathers surname.

I have two daughters and am unmarried, both have my partners surname. I didn't really think about it, just done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Yeah i never really thought about it until my father was asking me why i chose my partners surname instead of my own......just seems like the natural thing to do to give it my partners surname!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

keano_afc wrote: »
    named our daughter Sadhbh last week and we're off to the UK in the new year. My wife's sister is currently over there and she has a 5 year old called Cathal. He came home from school one day saying he hated his name because nobody could pronounce it. I think with a bit of practice she shouldnt have any problems. I've been surprised with the amount of our friends who cant pronounce the name properly.

I suspect whatever part of the UK you go to live in [England Scotland wales or Northern Ireland], you will encounter daily problems with that name, I worked with an Aoife for years in Surrey, and it was a daily occourance on the phones 'How do you say that again luvvie' & hows that spelt again??? Sadhbh will cause major probs wherever you go, even here I suspect!

I couldn't even guess how its pronounced - sorry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

deemark wrote: »
    She-va? It's gorgeous, what's the origin? I haven't come across it before.

Congratulations!! :pac::D
    You're one of few who can manage that on the first go!

It's Gaeilge of course. Means Good peace - Síochain Maith. Apparently was the name of an abbess at some time. My parents just heard the name from my godmother though whose niece has the same name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Just a reminder to new moms that you baby will have your surname when in hospital, seems like a little thing but i know a couple who are married, but she does not use his name and their baby was 'baby hername' on all hospital docs and it really upset them. hormones can play funny tricks sometimes.

• Advertisement

lynski wrote: »
    Just a reminder to new moms that you baby will have your surname when in hospital, seems like a little thing but i know a couple who are married, but she does not use his name and their baby was 'baby hername' on all hospital docs and it really upset them. hormones can play funny tricks sometimes.

And it'll be the same with the PHN as they send the record from the hospital to the PHN so let the PHN know on the first visit so they can change it on their records too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah i never really thought about it until my father was asking me why i chose my partners surname instead of my own......just seems like the natural thing to do to give it my partners surname!

I was advised, to give my child the choice of either sir name if the worse happened,to name her both sir names without a hyphen. So thats what's on the birth cert. But in practice my child uses his sir name.

We are together more than 16 yrs but have no intention of marring.

I have friends who's kids have their fathers name and the relationship is no longer in existence and the only to have them have her name is deed pol.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm planning on giving the baby Dad's surname.. We discussed it and we are planning to some day marry, so don't want to confuse the child with changing of names etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Not married and the baby has my sir name:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

There's nothing to say that you have ot give the baby either of your surnames. I didn't take my husband's name when we got married (he didn't take mine either, so fair's fair!), and I will not allow our baby to have his surname either - I just don't like it! He says alright, but it can't have yours either...I can live with that! We considered using one or both of our mother's maiden names instead, but I don't particularly like the pronunciation of his mother's maiden name either, so we're back to square one...

Instead, we've decided to give the baby a totally new surname. if it has brothers & sisters in the future, we'll give them the same surname as well, but it just won't be the same as ours.

So it's a little unorthodox, but now we're thinking of possible new surnames. I will probably go with something from nature, Stone, River, or an animal name perhaps...

And it will never happen, but I was amusing myself with thinking about calling it XXX ..."the Astonishing" or XXX ..."the Magnificent!" What a name to live up to that would be!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

NMoore wrote: »
    There's nothing to say that you have ot give the baby either of your surnames.

From Citizens Information: Registering the birth of your baby
    The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General or a Superintendent Registrar in writing.

Not sure how easy/hard it is to get the new name through the hoops, but it's definitely useful to know. My wife has decided she want to use my long-winded five-syllable and hard to pronounce foreign surname, but I am not so sure (I know how hard it is to live with that here).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

pappolapadopados?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

finding it hard to pick a girls name....thank god we have 20 weeks left to ponder:D

hubby loves addison and ella, im now drawn to mya,we just cant agree, i like addison but it reminds me too much of madison and i know a few of them, argh its so hard:mad:

melsbells wrote: »
    finding it hard to pick a girls name....thank god we have 20 weeks left to ponder:D

hubby loves addison and ella, im now drawn to mya,we just cant agree, i like addison but it reminds me too much of madison and i know a few of them, argh its so hard:mad:

Go with Addison, it's a lovely name ;) (I'm biased though cos my daughter is named Addison!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

if its betweeen addison or ella im def on for addison, do you find people shorten her name?

• Advertisement

We shorten it to Addie, felt that people would do it anyway so if we did it we would have some control on the way the shortened one was spelled. Some people still spell it Addy... but it's not too much of a bother, I loved the name Addison, had it picked from the moment I found out I was pregnant and there were no other choices in the bag I loved it that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone ever hear of the girls name Cloe? I guess they left out the H by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

LordSutch wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of the girls name Cloe? I guess they left out the H by mistake?

Yes it's one variant of Chloe bit I think it's also a name of one of the Bratz dolls but not sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

My favorite thing about being pregnant so far has been choosing names but my OH is a quiet one on all that stuff, expecially until we have the big scan next Monday.

So far we love Lily-Rose (shortened to Lily) but I'm just so worried about the popularity of it. And we both agreed on Charlie last night for a boy.

I feel like we need more though because I don't want the baby to pop out (ignoring what actual childbirth is like and going with 'popping' for now! ;) ) and for it to not look like the names we've thought of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

NMoore wrote: »
    Instead, we've decided to give the baby a totally new surname. if it has brothers & sisters in the future, we'll give them the same surname as well, but it just won't be the same as ours.
    :D

I've heard of this before, but the couple in question would change their own name too, creating a whole new family name. What do you think of this? I personally love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 valz08

We called our Daughter Jazelle everyone was like what the hell but now everyone loves it.

I am expecting again and am undecided on names, so far i'm thinking:

Tyler and Noah for a boy (still not sure on them though)

Alyssa and Lexie for a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Good luck with the names. Just one point:
    A primary school teacher friend tells me that she has 13 Conors in one class. It seems to be the most popular name ever.
    So if you want the child to stand out from the crowd, that might be a consideration.

Also, think of the child as an adult. Suppose he / she becomes a High Court judge? Will Trixie-Lou work as well then, as when she was a cute little bundle?

A friend lives in America, and tells me that the name Caitlin (Irish for Kate or Kathleen and pronounced Kotch-a-leen, or thereabouts) is almost always pronounced Kate-Linn over there. Pronounced as spelled, in other words.

I love Flora, Anne, Brigitte, and Tom, Fergus and Hugh for boys.

Good luck with the names. Just one point:
    A primary school teacher friend tells me that she has 13 Conors in one class. It seems to be the most popular name ever.
    So if you want the child to stand out from the crowd, that might be a consideration.

Also, think of the child as an adult. Suppose he / she becomes a High Court judge? Will Trixie-Lou work as well then, as when she was a cute little bundle?

A friend lives in America, and tells me that the name Caitlin (Irish for Kate or Kathleen and pronounced Kotch-a-leen, or thereabouts) is almost always pronounced Kate-Linn over there. Pronounced as spelled, in other words.

I love Flora, Anne, Brigitte, and Tom, Fergus and Hugh for boys.

I know two people that have baby girls called Caitlin and pronounce it Katelynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Our non-bump is called Alex. We decided it ages ago. If its a girl we might shorten it to Lexie, but I love the name Alex for a girl, or a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My cousin is Alexander, my brothers son is Alex and my cousins (sister to alexander)daughter is Alexie.

Alex and Alexie share the same birthday.

Its a cute name for boys and girls.

Advertisement