Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

What you think bout Victoria ( tori or vikie) and Jude

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like Victoria/Vicky it is a good strong old fashioned name. ,not a fan of Jude though.
    If I ever have sons they might end up being called gan ainm though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

babs.jones wrote: »
    What you think bout Victoria ( tori or vikie) and Jude

They're both great names - Vicky/Vicki would be the more usual spelling, "Vikie" would sound the same as the beginning of Viking!

Jude is a fabulous name, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

Love the name Jude - my brother in law and his wife just named their son Jude, so simple but unusual!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wind my oh up saying if I ever have triplets they are going to be called -
    Siofra
    Blanaid and
    Réiltin

The chance of ever having triplets is 0 but I do think they are the perfect names for triplets!!
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wind my oh up saying if I ever have triplets they are going to be called -
    Siofra
    Blanaid and
    Réiltin

The chance of ever having triplets is 0 but I do think they are the perfect names for triplets!!
    lol

I adore the name Reiltin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I love the name Síofra, but my o/h hates it. So glad we picked 1 of each that both of us like. God help us if one of us goes off them, as we agree on no other names.

My oh wrote 2 names down and put them in an envelope only to be opened when the baby was born and would not tell me what they were! He didn't want the lengthily discussion with me!!
    I then went on to veto his girls name and we called her the other name we had previously agreed for our 1st girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I love Siofra! I was meant to be called Siofra, but my parents built a house and moved in a couple of months before I arrived and called the house Siofra instead!
    If my mam still didn't live in the house I'd call a girl Siofra if I had a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

deemark wrote: »
    I love that name, but just want to point this out - the fada on the 'i' makes that letter into an 'ee' sound, it has nothing to do with how the beginning of the word is pronounced. The differences in the pronunciation of the first part is regional - most "Eye-leesh"s are from the south of the country.

Oh, and to type a letter with a fada on it - press "alt gr" and the letter.

Ah yes , that's right:). If there was a fada on the E it would make it Ay-leesh. Another spelling is Eibhlís, which i think is even nicer. But I'd say I might have to go back to the drawing board, as himself is pulling faces at the name:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

We're thinking Robert John for a boy, and I've just started wondering about Frieda for a girl, his fathers name and his father's mothers name. Though I'd forgotten the second when the name popped into my head... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Frieda is a lovely name. Unusual but not too "celebrity".
    Freya is also lovely.

We've been picking our baby names for years and will have a few more years to choose before we actually have a kid. I'm stuck on Luka or Jude for a boy, and I LOVE the name Arabella for a girl.

liliq wrote: »
    I love Siofra! I was meant to be called Siofra, but my parents built a house and moved in a couple of months before I arrived and called the house Siofra instead!
    If my mam still didn't live in the house I'd call a girl Siofra if I had a girl.

Ah Lili, that's hilarious - suppose it could be worse, they could've got a dog before the house:D

73Cat wrote: »
    Another spelling is Eibhlís, which i think is even nicer.

'Eibhlís' would be pronounced 'Ev-leesh'

*runs away and hides in pedantic Irish corner....
    nicowa wrote: »
    Frieda for a girl

Frieda is a beautiful name - uncommon, rolls off the tongue and it's kind of classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Met a Mum with the other day whose son is called 'Eban' and I must confess that's a new one on me, I automatically repeated what I thought was Evan (like a Welsh surname), but she corrected me and said its Eban.

Nice name, but I have never come across it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

LolaDub wrote: »
    Caoimhinn is the boys version of Caoimhe, the irish of Kevin. Its pronounced kee-veen or caoimhainn is que-vawn.

Indeed. And this child /man will spend his entire life explaining to people how to pronounce his name and how to spell his name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

uriah wrote: »
    Indeed. And this child /man will spend his entire life explaining to people how to pronounce his name and how to spell his name.

And?

'Eibhlís' would be pronounced 'Ev-leesh'

*runs away and hides in pedantic Irish corner....

Get out of that corner, you bold child. Her name is Eibhlís (as in eye-leash).

And?

He will be so grateful to you for wasting so much of his time unnecessarily.

Clearly you don't know my name.
    I would love to see you tackle it.

Yet i don't care that people struggle with it. And I'm sure neither would he. You get used to it and it normally ends in a compliment

• Advertisement

*Mod note*
    if you have nothing constructive to add then please do not comment.

Clearly you don't know my name.
    I would love to see you tackle it.

Yet i don't care that people struggle with it. And I'm sure neither would he. You get used to it and it normally ends in a compliment

I guess it is Caoilfhionn;)
    I think it is the hardest irish name to pronouce.
    My hubby loves it.

I guess it is Caoilfhionn;)
    I think it is the hardest irish name to pronouce.
    My hubby loves it.

No actually! Mine is a tough one though (according to everyone else anyway! :D)
    It gets worse when my middle name gets included! :D

Caoilfhionn is a lovely name though too!

*Mod note*
    if you have nothing constructive to add then please do not comment.

I think I was being very constructive.

When a name is very difficult to spell or to pronounce (and believe me, I have considerable experience of this) it can make life very irritating for the owner of the name and those who need to pronounce or spell it. And he will find that it is sometimes written incorrectly on important documents and he will probably be obliged to have this amended more than once.

I believe all this should be considered by parents before they name their baby.
    They should also consider whether the name they are giving the tiny baby will also appropriate for a six-foot man.

It does matter.

I think I was being very constructive.

When a name is very difficult to spell or to pronounce (and believe me, I have considerable experience of this) it can make life very irritating for the owner of the name and those who need to pronounce or spell it. And he will find that it is sometimes written incorrectly on important documents and he will probably be obliged to have this amended more than once.

I believe all this should be considered by parents before they name their baby.
    They should also consider whether the name they are giving the tiny baby will also appropriate for a six-foot man.

It does matter.

Tbh you were just being insulting.
    People with the names Anna or Ben can end up having difficulties with their name.

If it's a name you like name your child it. If they end up having to explain it to people then so be it. They'll get used to it and it'll become a second nature to them. They'll know to double check documents (as even an Anna or Ben would) and will be able to predict when they need to spell, explain or pronounce their name and like I said before it'll end up being a conversation starter if nothing else.

If we named people as to how "easy" it is to pronounce by everyone there would be no names left!

And if the child is going to have that much of a problem with their name they can just change it

Her name is Eibhlís (as in eye-leash).

"Eibh" is an 'ev' sound, like Eibhlín ('Ev-leen'), Beibhinn (Bev-inn)

A child in Ireland with an Irish name is hardly a huge shock to the system. I think it's fantastic that these names are popular again. A person who can't be bothered figuring out how to pronounce your name is at best lazy and at worst rude.

"Eibh" is an 'ev' sound, like Eibhlín ('Ev-leen'), Beibhinn (Bev-inn)

Eibhlín (eye-leen) is the irish version of Eileen
    Eibhlís (eye-leash) is the irish version of Elizabeth.

'bh' is sometimes 'v' (as in bhuail)
    sometimes 'w' (as in 'an bhfuil)
    sometimes silent (as in Eibhlís)

This is Munster, of course. I know it is different in other areas.

Eibhlín (eye-leen) is the irish version of Eileen
    Eibhlís (eye-leash) is the irish version of Elizabeth.

'bh' is sometimes 'v' (as in bhuail)
    sometimes 'w' (as in 'an bhfuil)
    sometimes silent (as in Eibhlís)

This is Munster, of course. I know it is different in other areas.

Think it's the other way around, but I've no book to hand - Eileen is the English version of Eibhlín.

The examples you've given are from the beginnings of words, not the same as a 'bh' in the middle of a word. In Munster, you pronounce ní raibh as ní 'rev' as opposed to ní 'row'.

For Eibhlís to be "eye-leesh", it would be spelt "Eidhlís".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have Celtic Names for Children by Loreto Todd
    " Éilís, Eibhlís (pronounced like ail +ish or eye +lish)" Eibhlís may also be spelt Eilís. Maybe it does vary though from region to region. I know of a couple of kids whose names are spelt with the 'bh', as opposed to spelling it as Eilís, and the 'bh' definitely not pronounced with a 'v' sound.

• Advertisement

73Cat wrote: »
    I have Celtic Names for Children by Loreto Todd
    " Éilís, Eibhlís (pronounced like ail +ish or eye +lish)" Maybe it does vary though from region to region. I know of a couple of kids whose names are spelt with the 'bh', as opposed to spelling it as Eilís, and the 'bh' definitely not pronounced with a 'v' sound.

Thanks for that, maybe it is a Munster thing so! Strange though, with names like Éabha, Méabh/Méadhbh and Sadhbh. Mind you, you rarely find an Eye-leesh pronunciation of Eilis outside of Munster, so there'd be no confusion down south!

Advertisement