Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

LordSutch wrote: »
    Anyone know how the name 'Bebhinn' is pronounced?

Bay-vinn. There's usually (but not always) a fada on the e.

Lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I would pronounce it Bevin but i'm sure Das Kitty is not wrong either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

amiable wrote: »
    I would pronounce it Bevin but i'm sure Das Kitty is not wrong either :)

I know a Bebhionn, and the family pronounce it Bevin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I know a few Beibhinns & all pronounce it Bayveen. Never heard it pronounced Bevin before.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I know a few Beibhinns & all pronounce it Bayveen. Never heard it pronounced Bevin before.
    I grew up in a different part of the country to where i live now and they pronounce plenty of names differently to what i was used to.

There's different local dialects of the Irish language all around the country:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Oral Slang wrote: »

And I would know a few and the opposite would apply!

It is a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Again, it's down to emphasis and the different pronunciations throughout the country.

I would pronounce Béibhinn as "Bay-vin", Beibhinn as "Bev-in" and Béibhín as "Bay-veen". Beibhinn is the one I've heard most often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I have a very simple american anglicised name, I hate it, and hate the way it is pronounced outside Ireland, that is when people read it, when I say my name without spelling it there are many variations to the spellings I get, mostly incorrect... From working overseas for years I say go with unusual, different and preferably unique to your heritage and background.

So what does anyone think of Cushla for a girl and for the Irish speakers looking for the versions of Reidin, with or without fada's??

I worked with a Reidin in my last Job, she was lovely we pronounced it 'Ray-dean'...

i thought it was a lovely name for a girl...
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have never come across the name Reidin and can't find any reference to it..do you know what it means or how it is pronounced?

i cannot find what it means though :(

hoodwinked wrote: »
    I worked with a Reidin in my last Job, she was lovely we pronounced it 'Ray-dean'...

i thought it was a lovely name for a girl...

i cannot find what it means though :(

I love this name. I spent a long time trying to figure out what it meant and gave up, unless it's a version of Mairéad(ín). Was the girl from Offaly by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Méadhbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 MooMoo100

Having real trouble trying to decide on a girl's name, not sure what we having but 6 days overdue at present so really need to decide. The few we have in mind are Lara, Cara or Cora. Want something pretty and simple and not one thats overused at the moment. So if anyone could add to our list that would be great......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

MooMoo100 - Aoife,Anna,Lucy,Edel,Ita,Evan,Kate,Marie,Niamh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love the name Anna, it's so pretty and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

MooMoo100 wrote: »
    Having real trouble trying to decide on a girl's name, not sure what we having but 6 days overdue at present so really need to decide. The few we have in mind are Lara, Cara or Cora. Want something pretty and simple and not one thats overused at the moment. So if anyone could add to our list that would be great......

Cora is really lovely, I love Martha and Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wooly Woo

Don't post much on boards but like having a bit of a browse and this thread caught my interest. We have a Caoimhe, we pronounce it Keeva. Have had the Irish-brigade (no disrespect intended) tell me I'm just plain wrong to pronounce it Keeva, which really bugs me. She's my child after all :D

We have a Caoimhe (Quee va) English people always call her keeva but there also some areas of Ireland where it is the local pronunciation.
    Wooly Woo wrote: »
    Don't post much on boards but like having a bit of a browse and this thread caught my interest. We have a Caoimhe, we pronounce it Keeva. Have had the Irish-brigade (no disrespect intended) tell me I'm just plain wrong to pronounce it Keeva, which really bugs me. She's my child after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

MooMoo100 wrote: »

Always liked Jessica (Jess), Lana, or Ela/Eli - good luck!

Wooly Woo wrote: »

Not this again! The 'Irish brigade' should know that it's a dialect thing. Up here in Donegal, the local pronunciation for Caoimhe is 'Kee-va", Cathal is 'Cahill' and Róisín is "Roh-sheen'. Not wrong, different!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wooly Woo

THANK YOU Deemark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 finneran2000

Bev-in :-) lovely name we choose either sadhbh or senan only 9 week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

lucy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

lucy ?

I had narrowed girls names down to Lucy and Lexie (short for Alexandra). Chose Lexie in the end. She just didn't look like a Lucy when I saw her. Still love the name though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So her real name is actually Alexandra (lovely strong name), with Lexie as her nick name/ pet name?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

So her real name is actually Alexandra (lovely strong name), with Lexie as her nick name/ pet name?

Yep that's it. She'll have Alexandra on her birth certificate and passport. We'll call her Lexie but she'll have the choice to use her full name when she's older if she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

3 ways -
    can rhyme with Kevin
    BAY-vin (emphasis on BAY) - usually has a fada on the e, often one "n"
    or Bay-veen (no emphasis on either syllable) - usually two fadas, on e and i, often one "n" as well

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

ive always loved really odd names like ;
    Girls
    Pixie
    Hope
    Faith
    McKenzie
    Boys
    Knight
    Sterling
    Cooper
    Theo

and i love the name Piper for a girl <3

bobobear wrote: »
    3 ways -
    can rhyme with Kevin
    BAY-vin (emphasis on BAY) - usually has a fada on the e, often one "n"
    or Bay-veen (no emphasis on either syllable) - usually two fadas, on e and i, often one "n" as well

its 'BEV IN' .

shannie wrote: »
    its 'BEV IN' .

I think it's been established that there are a few ways of pronouncing it!

deemark wrote: »
    I think it's been established that there are a few ways of pronouncing it!

originaly its beibhinn (bevin) over the years its became different , reason unknown -_-

• Advertisement

shannie wrote: »
    originaly its beibhinn (bevin) over the years its became different , reason unknown -_-
    Source?

Advertisement