Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

theg81der wrote: »
    The names "most" people give their children are the most common for that exact reason. If someone likes a name who cares who else has it? It's not the end of the world. In fact my cousin excitedly told me about how there's now 3 girls in her class with the same name. She didn't care.

There is such thing as going to the other extreme as well and I think you are getting close to it. That's not living outside of the box. That's going out if your way to be different.

I'd rather my child had a common name than one that will be ridiculed (which most celeb names are).

You didn't like your name because it was common. There are kids who don't like their name because it's so "exotic"

There are plenty of unusual names that aren't so "out there". I have one and I know plenty of others. I have only met one other person with my name and most people have never heard of it.

You didn't like

EDIT: I've come across bitchier than I meant so I'm sorry. My main point is that there is nothing wrong with common names and celebs only barely get away with ridiculous names because of who they are

Its all personal preference and they just don`t sound nice to me, but then others don`t like what I like so its just that I`m a bit different I don`t have to go out of my way to be different I just can`t help what I like. I like exotic food, music and clothes too. Probably something to do with being mixed race - its not like I was ever going to fit in growing up so I just embraced it.

Maybe I came across as bitchy too but I certainly didn`t mean to. Theres nothing wrong with being normal its a good skill for fitting in socially and succeeding in life.

There's nothing wrong with being different! I sure as hell am!. Try being the extremely pale kid in Africa with the name so as Gaeilge that those in the Gaeltacht couldn't pronounce it! :-)

I am the exact same when it comes to exotic stuff!

I just think you have to be careful with names. Go too out there and your child could end up being ridiculed and changing it to something more common or hating it as a result, defeating the whole purpose! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Normal to one person is crazy to another - thank god we all different or else it'd be a boring life :)
    Your child = your choice!
    I like some conventional and some out there ones!!
    The person makes their name anyway - regardless of what it is! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

There's nothing wrong with being different! I sure as hell am!. Try being the extremely pale kid in Africa with the name so as Gaeilge that those in the Gaeltacht couldn't pronounce it! :-)

I am the exact Dane when it cones to exotic stuff!

I just think you have to be careful with names. Go too out there and your child could end up being ridiculed and changing it to something more common or hating it as a result, defeating the whole purpose! :-)

Lol you were the exact opposite of me I was the only dark kid in a school of white kids!I was going to go with 2 names just in case they hated one. I don`t think you can effect if a kid is going to be ridiculed or bullied - kids will always find something, thats up to personality.

I am the exact Dane when it cones to exotic stuff!

Lol you were the exact opposite of me I was the only dark kid in a school of white kids!I was going to go with 2 names just in case they hated one. I don`t think you can effect if a kid is going to be ridiculed or bullied - kids will always find something, thats up to personality.

You see, I think that only true to a certain extent. Kids play on the reactions they see from others around them be it by friends, family, teachers whatever and if they see that a name invokes a reaction (and with my name it always did. I could always tell when my name was next because of the inevitable pause and attempt to pronounce it!) both the kid in question and those around them will develop their own reaction towards the name.

You see, I think that only true to a certain extent. Kids play on the reactions they see from others around them be it by friends, family, teachers whatever and if they see that a name invokes a reaction (and with my name it always did. I could always tell when my name was next because of the inevitable pause and attempt to pronounce it!) both the kid in question and those around them will develop their own reaction towards the name.

Agh I`m not gonna pick a name that isn`t pronouncable or sounds like anything else or can be shortened to a nickname I don`t like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

ElleEm wrote: »
    You would want a very specific surname for any of those names to sound okay :-)

The only time I've heard a lot of them is from celebs . Levi is Matthew Mcconaghey's son, Maddox is Angelina Jolie's son's name, Seven is the Beckham's daughters middle name. Surianna is similar to Tom Cruise's Suri, Scarlett is a really common celeb's kids name now too.

Levi is also my son and he is older than Levi Mcconaghey :D

Agh I`m not gonna pick a name that isn`t pronouncable or sounds like anything else or can be shortened to a nickname I don`t like.

I never said you were? I'm talking about how kids will work on reactions they see to a name

I never said you were? I'm talking about how kids will work on reactions they see to a name

Sorry I mean I would be leaving them open to ridicule in the first place. Think I`m veering towards Arabella or Zahara with 2nd name Rose, there not too crazy are they? I love Seven but I know the world isn`t ready.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Sorry I mean I would be leaving them open to ridicule in the first place. Think I`m veering towards Arabella or Zahara with 2nd name Rose, there not too crazy are they? I love Seven but I know the world isn`t ready.....:D
    Yes, I agree. I don't think the world will ever be ready for people with names that are numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Well I seriously considered Primrose for my daughter, I feel worlds apart from some of the posters on here :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Girls: I like the name Seven - is that completely mental?

Only if her Surname is 'Nine'

seven_intro.jpg

silly wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I don't think the world will ever be ready for people with names that are numbers...

And I wish it wasn`t ready for boring common ones but such is life!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 waynerooney

7 of 9... excellent. Or how about completely moving away from alpha-numeric names. How about ~ for a boy and % for a girl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I love the name Madeleine - but somehow it wouldn't feel right calling a girl that in light of poor Maddie McCann

Also like Caoimhe, Muireann, and Thady for a boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I love the name Madeleine - but somehow it wouldn't feel right calling a girl that in light of poor Maddie McCann

How would you pronounce Thady?

Like Thay-dee :)

I love it, pity my hubby has put his foot down with that one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thady for a boy

I like it, but wouldn't be keen on the full version - Thaddeus sounds very old-fashioned and clerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I was searching and searching for a baby name for my little sister; one that my mam would actually like! That was in October

Our new lil lady is called Keevah Hollie..
    Suits her down to the ground!:D

Just thought Id add to someones list!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

We picked names for our little one few days ago

if it will be girl we will call her Alice, it's Greek name, mean the wise counselor.
    if boy Daniel, it's name of an Old Testament prophet. it means God is my judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The names most people give there kids are the most common name that year, they`re on the list! I just don`t understand that, its like someone gives them the list in advance of what they`re allowed to call their kids that year :confused:. I`m just someone who lives outside the box. I want my childs name to not be on that list and I want there name to be not that of the others in there class. There was 3 people with my name in my class and I hated it.

Thing is, "normal" names are popular because they're simply good names. Everyone is different, but I prefer normal names. Someone in our ward called their child Harrison.
    We went with Tom. A good, strong boys name imho. It's about 60th on the popular list when we picked it, so shouldn't be a too many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

I like names that aren't too common but aren't too out there either. But I think I'll have to stick with a more common / boring name as my OH's surname is really unusual and quite harsh. It's also one syllable so one syllable first names really don't go with it (I'm a linguist and I'm really anal about stuff like this!).

Saying that I love love love the name Jane - I think it's elegant and pretty though anybody I've said it to so far has said the old reliable "plain Jane"... and these are adults - imagine what the kids at school would be like :)

Apart from that I like Sadhbh (don't like the spelling) Eve, Grace - none of which go with the damn surname!!

For a boy I'm thinking about Reuben and Nathan but I'm not really sure about either. I also like Donnacha and it has sentimental value too but with a harsh surname it doesn't sound great!

The new routine seems to be me finding a name then the OH just shouting 'nah' at it - without coming up with alternatives :)

Only 4 weeks till we find out the sex and therefore 50% of the baby name finding workload will be cut out :D

Thady? with or without a silent H?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thady? with or without a silent H?

Without a silent H... proper Th sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

mamaheidi wrote: »

Apart from that I like Sadhbh (don't like the spelling) Eve, Grace - none of which go with the damn surname!!

What about Eva-if you're looking for more than one syllable and like Eve?
    Plus I think Reuben is a cool name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Apart from that I like Sadhbh (don't like the spelling

You could do what John B. Keane did and spell it as 'Sive'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Keela11

I don't think people should come down so hard on people who choose alternative names, I mean the name Richard would have been unusual here a hundred yrs ago. My name was very uncommon when I was born but there are now a heap of kids with it.

I'm not pregnant but for boys I like: Hugh (probably call him Hugo most of the time), Ryland, John, Theodore, Max
    Girls: Sive, Julia, Joy, Nerissa, Penelope, Dora(that damn explorer ruined it!)

I also like a couple of uni-sex names like Pax, Tavi (Octavia or Octavian in full), Lux...maybe I just like Latin?
    I know someone who who just had a baby named Atreyu which is pretty awesome.

Keela11 wrote: »
    I also like a couple of uni-sex names like Pax, Tavi (Octavia or Octavian in full), Lux...maybe I just like Latin?

On the humerous side, and kids being kids, you might leave your children open for playground jibes with some of those names. Octavian would almost certainly be called 'ŠKODA', Lux would be nick-named 'Soap' or soap flake? and as for 'Pax' . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Saying that I love love love the name Jane - I think it's elegant and pretty though anybody I've said it to so far has said the old reliable "plain Jane"... and these are adults - imagine what the kids at school would be like :)

We called our little girl Jane and she's anything but plain :) It's a very old classy name and both our families loved it. Couldn't imagine her being anything thing now but Jane. If you love it go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

ElleEm wrote: »

How would you pronounce Thady?

I have 2 friends called Thady, but they dont pronounce the Th. Tadee...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Keela11 wrote: »
    That's the little boys name in "never ending story".
    I like it, but it's far too out there for us.

Advertisement