Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Keela11 wrote: »
    I know someone who who just had a baby named Atreyu which is pretty awesome.

Oh my god I love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

theg81der wrote: »

Oh my god I love that!
    It means "Son of all"

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My first is called Saskia. Myself and OH are having a real struggle agreeing for this next one coming. Dont know if its a girl or boy. And since he is Irish and all my family would be french speaking, the name must sound just as good in both language, which is proving very difficult once again!!
    I like Evelyn, Olivia, Eva, Keevah, Aine... and Adam, Thomas, Liam... I think we'll just have to have an exhaustive list and see what fits the best when we see his/her little face!

My first is called Saskia. Myself and OH are having a real struggle agreeing for this next one coming. Dont know if its a girl or boy. And since he is Irish and all my family would be french speaking, the name must sound just as good in both language, which is proving very difficult once again!!
    I like Evelyn, Olivia, Eva, Keevah, Aine... and Adam, Thomas, Liam... I think we'll just have to have an exhaustive list and see what fits the best when we see his/her little face!

I know a couple the guy is Irish the woman is french one of there kids is Eponine and another Jevot no one has any problem pronouncing either, although another French friend has never heard of Jevot and doesn`t understand their pronounciation of it which she would think should have an "e" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Thing is, "normal" names are popular because they're simply good names. Everyone is different, but I prefer normal names. Someone in our ward called their child Harrison.
    We went with Tom. A good, strong boys name imho. It's about 60th on the popular list when we picked it, so shouldn't be a too many of them.

Do you think will many of those called thomas end up being called tom?

Thomas is always in the top 20 and tomas is also in the top 100.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Elodie for a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Somebody never quite got over 'Never Ending Story'. I remember thinking that was an awesome name, but to be fair I was about 10. :p

I'm struck by the number of (what I would consider :o) awful American names in fashion at the moment. Bring back Kylie and Jason... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Well myself and the OH are having real difficulty agreeing on a name. The baby is going to be stuck with it forever. We both like Catherine if its a girl but haven't a clue if its a boy. He wants "Frank". I can't see myself calling that name in a playground. I want Darragh or Glen. I love Glen but he think its a bit out there like River or Apple. :( So I think we have to come up with alternatives. But I can't think of any. Heres hoping its a girl cos that would make our lives easier. Not looking forward to 5 months of rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Catherine is lovely! Am thinking about that myself only I don't like any of the shortened versions (kat, Cathy etc) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Well myself and the OH are having real difficulty agreeing on a name. The baby is going to be stuck with it forever. We both like Catherine if its a girl but haven't a clue if its a boy. He wants "Frank". I can't see myself calling that name in a playground. I want Darragh or Glen. I love Glen but he think its a bit out there like River or Apple. :( So I think we have to come up with alternatives. But I can't think of any. Heres hoping its a girl cos that would make our lives easier. Not looking forward to 5 months of rows.

Why don't you call him Francis? Then your hubby can call him Frank and you can call him Frankie or Fran or just Francis :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

Oh for a girl I love the names Layla, Keelan and anything Irish. I would like Reilly or a boy or girl depending on Surname of course :) Also Brodey is a nice boys Irish name and Lochlann. I could be here all day. Thank God I have my kids and don't have to go through names again. Although I always won in picking the names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

We'd a few picked out (very few - we couldn't agree on more than one or two), then we met our lad and none of the ones we'd picked fitted his face at all. Sat there on the ward with him for two days, then one name jumped to Walls' mind and it fitted well enough; I went home that night, looked up the etymology of the name, and found it linked to another name which both of us thought fitted even better and thus Calum got his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Girls-
    Aisling
    Caoimhe
    Mara
    Arwen

Boys-
    Cian
    Cuan
    Daire
    Donncha

I'm obsessed with names :(
    or just preparing in advance ;)

I really like Cuan!

Is it pronounced 'Qu-ann'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I really like Cuan!

I have heard it but as 'Coo-ann'. Nice name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 finneran2000

Sparks wrote: »
    We'd a few picked out (very few - we couldn't agree on more than one or two), then we met our lad and none of the ones we'd picked fitted his face at all. Sat there on the ward with him for two days, then one name jumped to Walls' mind and it fitted well enough; I went home that night, looked up the etymology of the name, and found it linked to another name which both of us thought fitted even better and thus Calum got his name.

Calum is a lovely name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 finneran2000

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Girls-
    Aisling
    Caoimhe
    Mara
    Arwen

Boys-
    Cian
    Cuan
    Daire
    Donncha

I'm obsessed with names :(
    or just preparing in advance ;)

I really like Cuan!

Cuan is a lovely name is it Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

How about 'O2'. Might even be some advertising in it for you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

were expecting a girl in 12weeks, we're already calling her zoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Congrats Zoe is a lovely name

For boys I like
    James
    Michael
    Tiernan

For girls I like
    Maeve
    Grainne
    Deirdre

I love Lauren

Someone (Moonbeam I think) mentioned Elodie, that is a beautifiul name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Cuan is a lovely name is it Irish

Yep it is pronounced Coo-on
    It means little hound Cú = hound
    I've seen it spelled Cúán and Cuán.
    Cuan with no fadas pronounced Coo-an means harbour. That could be kind of cute.

What do people think of Béibhinn? I love the sound of it. Had two students with the name over the years and they were both lovely; it's amazing how many names you'd never use because of the kids with it!

People I've asked seem to hate it or love Béibhinn. Which makes me think a lot of people who say they love it really hate it :rolleyes: So for people who hate it, what connotations does it have? We've a big Irish surname so no point worrying about things being hard to spell, and the tot will be an Irish-speaker so not worried about the D4 association with Irish names :D

Ms.M how do you pronounce that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I think Béibhinn is a harsh sounding name, reminds of the German word for petrol. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

javagal wrote: »
    were expecting a girl in 12weeks, we're already calling her zoe!

Love Zoe but it clashed with our surname, so we had to leave it :(

I'd pronounce it BAY- veen.

Inbox wrote: »
    I think Béibhinn is a harsh sounding name, reminds of the German word for petrol. Sorry.

Is it the "eeeeeen" sound at the end? That's kind of putting me off a lot of names. Because it's diminutive I don't know if it's good for a grown-up and also, it isn't as soft. I know you can say Bay-vin as well.
    I think I've just changed my mind about the name... thanks inbox :D
    I already have one picked out for a girl if that's what I'm having. Just planning number two in advance.... hahahaha!

*CRAZY LAUGHTER*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ya it's the veen bit that sounds harsh I think. I'm glad you now agree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ms.M wrote: »

I'd pronounce it BAY- veen.

I think this has come up here before.
    It depends on what part of Ireland you're from I think.
    I know a Dublin Bebhionn and it is pronounced Beh- van.

That kinda sounds nice...I`m desperately trying to think of boys names.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

theg81der wrote: »
    That kinda sounds nice...I`m desperately trying to think of boys names.

Have you a particular genre/ type you are into?
    I really love Biblical names at the min, Eli/ Elijah, Noah, Matthew, Luke/ Luca etc.

Although I was talking to a friend recently and he reckons Noah would be a lovely girl's name... I think so too!

Advertisement