Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Nothing set in my head just something really different, completely original would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Thanks ElleEm, I know there are different versions, I'd pronounce it Bay-veen just because I prounounce binn like that in my dialect, mind you I'm not sure if that's the origin of it; binn = sweet. Like to think it is; or maybe I don't, now that I'm gone off it (for today). ;)

Ok so, some original boys' names for theg81der.
    Some of these I might be making up:
    Adi (hebrew I'd reckon),
    Ash (short for lots of names),
    Ashen (might have made it up),
    Aodhán, Aogán
    Albain (Irish for Scotland; but you asked for original!)
    Bracken, Bard, Brashen (sure why not)
    Barra, Colmán, Conall, Iarlaith, Doran (anglicised), Deorán,
    _______ Rua (if they're ginger) ________ - Ru (anglicised version), Ruadhán (ginger),
    Rowan,
    Zachary, Malachy/ Malachi,
    Jonah,
    Dubhghlas (doooo-glis),
    Rémy (French),
    Fionnáin,
    Dominic.
    Art, Macdara, Naoise, Rian.
    Ravi (Indian. Hindi I think)

Would be shocked if my suggestions help! But maybe.... someone out there in the world of boards will be like "Yes, I want an Iarlaith!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Not planning on getting pregnant anytime soon, but definitely can not wait to ha ve kids and have some names picked out. My favourite names change all the time though :rolleyes:

Right now it's:

Boy:

Ronan
    Noah

Girl:
    Ella
    Carrie
    Lily
    Lucy

I'd love to have twin girls name Lily and Lucy, such cute names together.

Zachary this one keeps coming up and it`s growing on me. What do others think of Zac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

theg81der wrote: »
    Zachary this one keeps coming up and it`s growing on me. What do others think of Zac?

Nice name, God has remembered - Hebrew.

• Advertisement

but if your name is Zac would you always be picked last......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

but if your name is Zac would you always be picked last......?

Zac's a pretty cool name I think. And it's not a name a lot of people would have negative feelings about. I love Zachary though. Have a relative with that name and I know his mates call him Zac but he still goes by Zachary in the clann and in work too.

You could go for "Isaac" if you want to be a bit further up in the soup kitchen queue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Josiah?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

For a girl Aoibhinn or Caoimhe and for a boy Cathal or Cillian! Has to be an irish name to keep oh happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I had Joanna and David picked out but when the kids arrived I chose andrew and ciara,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Iwillcope

I am thinking Kit for a boy, (got the idea from an actor in Game of Thrones) but I have no idea what to call a girl. Its a bit mental to be thinking of this so early and I guess it will depend on what name the baby has or if it will have both.

What does everyone think of the name Arabella? I found it on an old fashioned name list and I love it. I was actually browsing the 1911 and 1901 Irish census and there were Arabellas in Ireland back then too. Do you think it's too out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What does everyone think of the name Arabella? I found it on an old fashioned name list and I love it. I was actually browsing the 1911 and 1901 Irish census and there were Arabellas in Ireland back then too. Do you think it's too out there?

Arabella is absolutely gorgeous, its my nieces name. I think its lovely anyway, I prefer it to Isabelle :) It isn't too out there because Isabelle is really popular so it won't sound strange.

Arabella was on my list till I found out I was having a boy,its so beutiful! Had Clarabella aswell and Jamila - which means beautiful in arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Arabella is gorgeous! I prefer it to Isabella.too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

For some reason Arabella reminds me of an elephant or a big fat horse. I have no idea why! I can only imagine it on an older woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Arabella is on my list!! I've never heard anyone mention it before!
    It's so beautiful. I love girl's names with the "L" sounds but there are so many of them at the minute, with all the Lillys, Isabelles, Ellies and Ellas knocking around.
    I understand it to mean Beautiful Lion. Forget what language though..

Ya I haven't met any Arabella's yet, but knowing my luck it would become really popular :p I love old fashioned names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Boys
    Ruben
    Toby
    William
    Harrison

Girls
    Summer
    Zola
    Aurora
    Inez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Orez for a boy and Zouzou for a girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Arabella is becoming more popular along with anything ending in bella or belle...twilight influence :) but it won't be as popular here as it is in the US or UK!

It's a lovely name & if you love it use it...she would probably end up being a bell or bella to her mates but I think they are nice nicknames :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

notsobusy wrote: »
    Arabella is gorgeous.
    Just puts Barbarella in my head..

My own two cents, sinead or conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Squ wrote: »
    notsobusy wrote: »
    Arabella is gorgeous.
    Just puts Barbarella in my head..

I don't like Irish names
    Reminds me of Maire, Sean and Rusty :)

It would be stupid if we all liked the same names anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It's funny how people react to names when you tell them what your thinking! I've been told the names I've picked are too English.......I swiftly told said person to mind their own business. :p

I don't like Irish names either.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I didn't tell anyone what we planned to name our baby, as everyone has to comment on whether or not they like it.
    We called her Amélie, and no one has dared tell me they don't like it :) The name needed to work in 3 languages, and so far this one has

What does everyone think of the name Arabella?
    I only answered the question asked.

Edit; not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Xdancer wrote: »
    I didn't tell anyone what we planned to name our baby, as everyone has to comment on whether or not they like it.
    We called her Amélie, and no one has dared tell me they don't like it :) The name needed to work in 3 languages, and so far this one has

Amélie is a gorgeous name :) OH and I have made a little list for when we get pregnant and Amélie is on the list. Its so lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

What does everyone think of the name Arabella? [...]

The talkshow Arabella is the only thing I can think of when I hear the name Arabella - but I don't think you run into danger many over here will make the same connection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-7Sp7AntA Absolutely love Amélie and Valerie. We basically had our names set before we started trying, which takes a bit of an activity away from us now that we are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tbh, I think those names are mutually exclusive. Either one is fine in their own but if you had a son and a daughter called Sinead and Conor they are in for a lifetime of mockery.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »

Either one is fine in their own but if you had a son and a daughter called Sinead and Conor they are in for a lifetime of mockery.
    Am i missing something? Is it along the lines of Ann and Barry?

Advertisement