Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Rose35 wrote: »
    So the problem is the total association with the name Ryan, not just being afraid that people will miss pronounce and think that RIAN ( Pronounced differently anyway) is really RYAN and get mixed up.

Sorry I misunderstood, well rian is the irish for ryan aint nothing anyone can do about that then.

lol!!!That's just it!!Rian is the irish for little king!!Thanks a mill guys, I think I'll have to take it off the list cos I don't want it associated with Ryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I think Rian is a lovely name, much nicer than Ryan and I think the vast majority of Irish people will pronounce it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Rose35 wrote: »
    So the problem is the total association with the name Ryan, not just being afraid that people will miss pronounce and think that RIAN ( Pronounced differently anyway) is really RYAN and get mixed up.

But I don't see it as a "problem"! :confused:

What littlemissteach said was:
    Thanks for the reply, however, this is not not not what I want people to say about Rian!!Cos I don't like the name Ryan!!Rian means "little king"!!I don't want it connected with Ryan...do you think everyone is going to say "Rian...oh that's a lovely name...its the irish for ryan ya??"

And I'm saying that, yeah, I do think that a lot of people will associate it with the name Ryan and will ask if she named him Rian because it's the Irish version of Ryan.

And yeah, of course the two names are pronounced differently!

As I said, I think Rian - and Ryan, for that matter! - are both lovely names. :)

But I don't see it as a "problem"! :confused:

What littlemissteach said was:

And I'm saying that, yeah, I do think that a lot of people will associate it with the name Ryan and will ask if she named him Rian because it's the Irish version of Ryan.

And yeah, of course the two names are pronounced differently!

As I said, I think Rian - and Ryan, for that matter! - are both lovely names. :)

If I named the child Rian,I wouldn't want any association with Ryan, if anything, association should be the the word's translation which is little king.I don't like the sound of Ryan , I must prefer the soft sound of Rian.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I think they are both lovely names too, I dont see it as a problem either just saying that rian is irish for ryan aint nothing that will change that, they are totally pronounced differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hey, is Rian/Riaghan a girl or a boy's name?

We had been strongly considering it for our baby boy, but yesterday and went googling (some more) and Rian/Riaghan also came up as a girls name?I had thought the female version was Ríona...now we're totally confused, we don't want a name that could be mistaken for a boy or girls name!!Does anyone have any light to shed on it?!

Rian is the Irish for Ryan, pronounced "Ree-an". Riaghan is very close to Ríoghain (Ree-a-gawn), which would be an Irish version of the name Regan. At first glance, I would presume that Rian is a boy and Riaghan a girl. (The pronunciation of 'gh' in the middle of the word varies between Irish dialects)

Baby name sites are not reliable sources for Irish baby names. Buy a decent Irish names book or consult a native speaking Irish teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know a Rian (no fada) pronounced Ryan.
    I would've thought if there was no fada on the "i", it would be pronounced that way.

I think it would be a mistake that your son will be FOREVER correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

I love the name "October" for a girl - I know it's a little out there but I think I saw it in a film once and it just was really different.

Sarah** wrote: »
    I love the name "October" for a girl - I know it's a little out there but I think I saw it in a film once and it just was really different.

It is definitely "out there". I love the name May but my boyfriend has an ex called May so it's out! I love Autumn as a name but it's a bit too hippyish I think.

ElleEm wrote: »
    It is definitely "out there". I love the name May but my boyfriend has an ex called May so it's out! I love Autumn as a name but it's a bit too hippyish I think.

I love Autumn... :)

I love all the Irish names like Tadhg or Tiernan for boys and Caoilainn or D’Arcy.

• Advertisement

Sarah** wrote: »
    I love Autumn... :)

I love all the Irish names like Tadhg or Tiernan for boys and Caoilainn or D’Arcy.

Would you put an apostrophe in a first name? I always think it's a bit Jerry Springer!!!!

Would you put an apostrophe in a first name? I always think it's a bit Jerry Springer!!!!

I hadn't really thought about the apostrophe... I don't really know..

I like Regan also..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Sorry now to completely hog the thread, but do you think there is a liklihood of people mispronouncing Rian and saying Ryan??Like I want the word that rhymes with Cian!!would I be better off spelling it like Riaghan?hmmm...having serious doubts about this name now and it was one of our faves!!

I think you'd be as well off sticking with the spelling Rian(with a fada) as with Riaghan, people wouldn't at a glance know how to pronounce that and would come out with all sorts!!:D I love the name and I also do not like Ryan.
    don't think about it too much or you will go off it, just have it on the list and have a look at him when he arrives and see if it suits :D

Gee_G wrote: »
    I think you'd be as well off sticking with the spelling Rian(with a fada) as with Riaghan, people wouldn't at a glance know how to pronounce that and would come out with all sorts!!:D I love the name and I also do not like Ryan.
    don't think about it too much or you will go off it, just have it on the list and have a look at him when he arrives and see if it suits :D

No , No!You can't put a fada on it- ia in Irish already makes the sounds "eeah"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

we have a Cian in our family and it has one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Gee_G wrote: »
    we have a Cian in our family and it has one!

There is no need for it. As littlemissteach said, the 'ia' sound is 'ee-ah' e.g. na Fianna, ag obair go dian, scian etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Rian isn't the Irish for Ryan really. Rian means little king as already said, and presumably "Ryan" comes from the anglicisation of the surname that would have originally meant son of Rian/ of Rian. (O'Riain or whatever). Ryan is a sound-a-like for Rian, rather than a translation. (That would be Kingston or something probably :D) Ryan was used as an anglicised surname first and Americans started using it as a first name only in the last century I think. Lovely name though and one of the few surnames as forenames to catch on here two.
    All things considered, if ever asked it would take far less time to explain where your name "Rian" came from than "Ryan." :D

Seán isn't the Irish for John either. Ones the Irish version of a biblical name, one is the English version of a biblical name, the French is "Jean" etc. I know most people know the Irish "equivalent" names very rarely derive from their English counterparts but just saying :)
    There is definitely something about a name beginning with R for boys, isn't there? They seem to suit the little mischievous boys stereotype. Maybe because it sounds a bit animalistic like "RRRRoar" or whatever. They just sound cool. :o I'll shut up now. :pac:

Thanks Mrs M!
    We decided to take Rian out of our list yesterday. I just would go mental from people saying Ryan and "oh isnt that the irish for Ryan" all the time!!I was getting worked up even yesterday about it so I think it's best to omit it for the sake of my sanity alone!!But you're right Mrs M- it's the irish for little King.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Found a great site nameberry.com, the most exhaustive name site ever!! My list has just gone from 2 to 20 possibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

My wife seems to think Fergus is a good name for a boy. She also likes Morgan, which I can see myself getting behind.

I should point out I didn't really like the name Sadie for our daughter but it has received much praise. (I gave in after 41 hrs labour and I had just looked at her while they were shoving organs back into her body, and the nurse asked me)

But Fergus is a bit of an ask.

• Advertisement

I agree, MadPatrick. Fergus just doesn't seem to evoke the baby feeling of "aw", does it? It's the kinda name where you'd expect him to be born with a beard!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

I agree, MadPatrick. Fergus just doesn't seem to evoke the baby feeling of "aw", does it? It's the kinda name where you'd expect him to be born with a beard!!!!
    Yea, a beard and a shock of red hair. And a long sword for some reason.

MadPatrick wrote: »
    Yea, a beard and a shock of red hair. And a long sword for some reason.

That would be some dangerous baby!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Yeah, but you need to remember that they're only babies for a very short time, and most of their life will be spent as adults :)

Fergus is a good strong man's name, and not too common.. It means "supreme man" or "highest choice". Morgan is also nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Squiggler wrote: »
    Yeah, but you need to remember that they're only babies for a very short time, and most of their life will be spent as adults :)

Excellent point!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Have picked several names but not pregnant, will be tough decision when time comes!
    Overall favourites are Sadhbh and Cian (both go with surname) and can't be shortened

Girls:
    Lauren
    Ciara
    Shona
    Arabella
    Chloe
    Kirsten
    Holly
    Aisling
    Rachel

Boys:
    Cillian
    Sean
    Dara
    Caleb
    Leon
    Alex
    Joshua
    Matt
    Hugh
    Ciaran
    Sebastian(Seb)
    Jake
    Oisin

Irish names tend to win out for me tho, lots of unusual names in own family,they weren't even mentioned on this thread from what I could see.

Like names with K sound (Ciara/Cian etc)

I always have to spell my name & people often pronounce it incorrectly but I still like it, only knew 2 others ever who had same name.

When you've a big family it's tough picking names that aren't taken already too! None in list above have been taken yet!
    I called my cats 2 girls names that my sister told me later she had wanted for daughters!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

I agree with Mrs M about that "r" thing being very cute or boyish like Rory , robbie . I think Rory is a really good strong boys name but im having a girl. I think choosing a girls name is more difficult all the names i used to like have been given to past pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I have great name for a girl and it begins with an R
    Ryvita
    Its a brilliant name and if a conversation runs dry it lends itself to a new conversation I am predicting this to be the most popular girl name here in Ireland for 2013 its too late for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

I know a Rian (no fada) pronounced Ryan.
    I would've thought if there was no fada on the "i", it would be pronounced that way.

I think it would be a mistake that your son will be FOREVER correcting.

Correct

My youngest is Rían and i've spent 9 years years trying to explain this to certain people :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but it has been very interesting looking over the names people were thinking of over the last couple of years.... If any of you are still following - what did you settle on in the end?

Advertisement