Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

[
    Not an Emerson fan here either
    I like Harrison tho - and Pearce - but would spell it pierce too!

I don't ask opinion on names purely cos no one likes everything and sometimes the child needs to make the name work - as in what sounds unusual at first becomes normal and lovely as you associate it with the child! So whatever u pick your child will rock it!! That's my motto anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

dublinlady wrote: »

I don't ask opinion on names purely cos no one likes everything and sometimes the child needs to make the name work - as in what sounds unusual at first becomes normal and lovely as you associate it with the child! So whatever u pick your child will rock it!! That's my motto anyway!!

I agree - I stopped telling people the names we liked because we got a lot of negative comments. I know people who have had babies recently and I don't like the names they have picked at all but as you say, no one likes everything and the baby grows into the name and rocks it and we all get used to it! Plus the parents really like the name and that's the main thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I like Pearse and Dominic, he might be known as Dom, would you like that?
    My Lo (5mts) is Miles and a friend of mine only calls him Miley! I find it amusing now, but it might grate eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Im really stuck for a boy name so gonna find out the sex to help deciding...
    What do ye think about
    Pearse
    Harrison
    Dominic (my fav so far)
    Emerson
    :)
    Thanks

I like Harrison, but it would depend on your surname too. Be aware that people may shorten them to Harry, Dom etc
    filmifan wrote: »
    I like Pearse the best out of those four, but I'd be spelling it the Irish way, as Pierce (think Pierce Brosnan)

Pierce isn't an Irish way of spelling it, nor does it look Irish as the name is English. If anything, I would consider Pearse more Irish after Pádraig Pearse. You could go with Piaras either, if you really wanted an Irish surname. It's a great name, very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I gave my son Pearse as a middle name specifically because of Patrick Pearse. I didn't like Patrick and wanted to make sure he had the name. I love Pearse more than Pierce. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭filmifan

Sorry, Implausible....my mistake. I just looked it up, and Pierce is actually Greek in origin, meaning 'stone.' You're right about Pearse being more Irish - as in Padraig Pearse. I guess I was just connecting that specific spelling of the name to Pierce Brosnan and Pierce Turner, both born in Ireland. Am I forgiven?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Jane98 wrote: »
    My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

Obviously just a personal opinion but I don't like Lauren. It's a bit 1990s American soap or something. I really like Matthew but I'd go for that spelling rather than your variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

All are nice but they seem very dated..I know plenty of people with all of these names and I'm in my twenties. When I hear Hannah I think of someone my own age, not a baby! Just my opinion though, you should choose what you love :)

My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

I have Robert chosen for if this baby is a boy. but Matthew was a VERY close second :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    All are nice but they seem very dated..I know plenty of people with all of these names and I'm in my twenties. When I hear Hannah I think of someone my own age, not a baby! Just my opinion though, you should choose what you love :)

Thanks for your honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

I love Jessica and Hannah.... Wait i love Hannah, to me its a girly name....

All the old names are coming back.... Recently heard a new born being called Elsie.... Not my cup of tea but i love Maisey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I love Matthew but my husband vetoed it immediately. Nothing I could say would talk him around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My top baby names are:

For a girl:
    Jessica - fav
    Lauren
    Hannah

For a boy:
    Robert
    Mathew
    Gavin

Any thoughts?

Nice names all, we love Jessica too (Shakespearean in origin), and the boys names are all good strong names.

Maybe add Daniel and Oliver to the boys list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Anyone fancy Alex for a girl. We found out last week we were having a girl and we cant seem to settle on any names but i really like Alex where as the Girlfriend isnt so sure. We had (or should i say the GF had:D) picked Logan if we were having a boy and i wasnt so sure of using Logan.......so many names and its still so hard to pick a name.

S28382 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy Alex for a girl. We found out last week we were having a girl and we cant seem to settle on any names but i really like Alex where as the Girlfriend isnt so sure. We had (or should i say the GF had:D) picked Logan if we were having a boy and i wasnt so sure of using Logan.......so many names and its still so hard to pick a name.

If we were allowed name ourselves, I would choose Alex. I love it. My partner would never even consider it :(

Alex is lovely, I love it. If it were me I'd probably use Alexandra/Alexa or something on the birth cert because just Alex is a bit unisex, you wouldn't know whether Alex Murphy (example) is a boy or girl on paper. Its really nice though, I prefer Alex on a girl to a boy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Alex is lovely, I love it. If it were me I'd probably use Alexandra/Alexa or something on the birth cert because just Alex is a bit unisex, you wouldn't know whether Alex Murphy (example) is a boy or girl on paper. Its really nice though, I prefer Alex on a girl to a boy :)

Yeah i really like Alexandra and then just shorten to Alex ..........hopefully ill get my way, it feels right to call the baby Alex and i think if it feels right then its good to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

What do you think of the name Elliot for a boy?

Polly701 wrote: »

I love it, I think its fab :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Polly701 wrote: »

Love it! A friend named her baby Elliot. I think it's very strong - I think of Elliot Ness and the guy from Law & Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

We have no boys names. We have loads of girls names but at the moment Nina is at the top. No doubt it will all change....several times

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EricBlaine

Hello all.

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in September.

I really want to give my son an Irish name (something I think my late mother would have liked) and have chose Caolan (without the accent) as my favourite.

Neither I nor my girlfriend speak Gaelic or "Irish English" (I'm half Trindadian, quarter English and quarter Irish. She is half German and half Iranian), but I read somehwere that caolán also means "small intestine".

However, I also know there are plenty of boys/men with this name.

Does the name have any (widely held) negative connotations?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I think Caolán really means slender and I presume that's the origin of the small intestine meaning:

http://www.behindthename.com/name/caola10n
    Contribute Add to List
    CAOLÁN
    USAGE: Irish
    Meaning & History
    From Gaelic caol "slender" combined with the diminutive suffix án.

I doubt it's widely known that caolán can mean small intestine-I had never heard of it or any other negative associations!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

As fluent irish speaker I never heard that! Its a beautiful name and was on my list for our son

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EricBlaine

Thanks Roselm and traineeacc for your comments...I'm reassured.

We've been caling the bump Caolan for the last three months so I couldn't have imagined changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

My hubbie and I are thinking of Isabelle/Isabella for our little nugget, we both love the name and Izzy as a nickname. However, I'm afraid my mother's nose will be out of joint if we go with it as I'm adopted and Isobel is my bio mammy's name. My mum has a funny way of looking at things at the best of times, I could see her taking it as a dig at her so I dunno what to do. We can't agree on another name...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What if you went with Isabella and invent a favorite aunt/babysitter that your husband insists on naming child after ?
    Could you use your mother name as a second name maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

EricBlaine wrote: »
    Thanks Roselm and traineeacc for your comments...I'm reassured.

We've been caling the bump Caolan for the last three months so I couldn't have imagined changing it.

I'd really recommend using the fada on the án... It's what makes the "on" sound in "Qwa-lon"

• Advertisement

Is it sad that my partner and I have our future kiddos names picked out already? :o

We already have a Maisy, future babies would be Amelie or Alice for a girl, and Noah, William or Philip for a boy :)

Advertisement