Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Baby will be here at the latest Tuesday, getting sort of nervous now :eek:

I leave the names to the OH (I couldn't actually even name our gerbils!!!!) So we had two that I liked/was okay with, but he then suggested a slight alteration.

For the boy it was supposed to be Robert, with the middle name Emmett, now he is feeling out for Emmett as the first name. I am not sure, I think Emmett and I fear anyone who has read those Twilight books will think it is after that! Damn Stephanie Meyers.

Is it a common enough name these days?

Back to the future just sprung to mind. :D

It's a nice first name but I guess it depends on what the surname that goes with it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I leave the names to the OH (I couldn't actually even name our gerbils!!!!) So we had two that I liked/was okay with, but he then suggested a slight alteration.

For the boy it was supposed to be Robert, with the middle name Emmett, now he is feeling out for Emmett as the first name. I am not sure, I think Emmett and I fear anyone who has read those Twilight books will think it is after that! Damn Stephanie Meyers.

I used to teach a lovely little boy called Emmett so I think I'll always like that name now because I associate the name with him. It's not too common from what I know. I'll always like Robert as it's my babies father's name but will get lots of variations like Rob, Robbie. Both Robert and Emmett are solid, strong, masculine names though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My boys name was Jacob n my girls name is annabelle, wh the possibility of it being shortened to belle! If anyone has twilight names, it's me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭McBubbles

I think Emmett is a fab name. Would love to use it myself but have a close friend called Emmett.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tues,brilliant:) so soon. Your big boy must be getting excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Tues,brilliant:) so soon. Your big boy must be getting excited.

He is off to nana's tomorrow because I am nearly sure I could go beforehand. He knows Tuesday is d-day, he's all excited. He wants to find out what it is too.

We discussed the names again and we will probably stay with the original plan of Robert emmett. But if it looks more like an emmett who knows :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

He is off to nana's tomorrow because I am nearly sure I could go beforehand. He knows Tuesday is d-day, he's all excited. He wants to find out what it is too.

We discussed the names again and we will probably stay with the original plan of Robert emmett. But if it looks more like an emmett who knows :)

Just out of curiosity, is the reference to the historical figure deliberate?

Fwiw, I think I'd prefer Emmett but both are good names.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Just out of curiosity, is the reference to the historical figure deliberate?

Fwiw, I think I'd prefer Emmett but both are good names.

Yep, daddy is an irish history nut. I am just glad he didn't go after theobald wolfetone! Our oldest has Pearse and Connolly in his name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Yep, daddy is an irish history nut. I am just glad he didn't go after theobald wolfetone! Our oldest has Pearse and Connolly in his name.

I figured that it had to be too much of a coincidence! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Any thoughts on Finian? Yay or nay.....

Am looking for nice three syllable names that go with our surname...

Malachy
    Cameron
    Finian
    Jonathan

Alison
    Dorothy
    Emily
    Isobel

Of all the ones we've looked at, we like Finian for a boy and Alison for a girl.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Finian would not be for me.
    Of the 4 malachy would be my favorite.
    Alison for a girl is lovely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Finian? Yay or nay.....

Am looking for nice three syllable names that go with our surname...

Malachy
    Cameron
    Finian
    Jonathan

Alison
    Dorothy
    Emily
    Isobel

Of all the ones we've looked at, we like Finian for a boy and Alison for a girl.....

Finian is the only one of your boys names I would like.
    I love Alison and Isobel and I like EMily but it is really common.

Finian is the only one of your boys names I would like.
    I love Alison and Isobel and I like EMily but it is really common.

Funny how things change.

When I was in school, there a bunch of Fiona's, Deborah's, Aisling's and loads of Sarah's.......doubt if there was a single Emily in the entire town.

I actually think Sarah is one of the nicest girls names......

We had Jennifers,Alisons,Niamhs,Amy,Susans,Sarahs names you rarely hear now.
    For boys there were loads of John Pauls and Jonathan's and Pauls.

There are so many Saoirses , if you forget a childs name it is a good guess but it was not common at all before.

There are so many Saoirses , if you forget a childs name it is a good guess but it was not common at all before.

Dont remember so many Amy's when I was a kid (1980s).

But I do recall an American family moving in near us for a while - the kids were call Zach and Amy.....for ages I thought the boys name was Zachinamy. That was fairly exotic at the time. They had BMX's and all the Michael Jackson albums. We had Triumph 20s and a Nana Mouskouri LP.

Amy is a great name, though for a lot of Irish names I think it doesnt work.....any name that ends with 'y', it clashes.....Murphy, Healy, Reilly, Dooley.

Ciara is a name that I love and was popular then and now and Róísín and Aoife.
    I was born in the 80's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I only know two Saoirse's didn't think it was that common at all!

Finn or Fionn?

I always preferred Finn to Fionn (or phonetically Fee'yun).

Am I wrong?

January wrote: »
    I only know two Saoirse's didn't think it was that common at all!

I would have said Sophie for a girl, and Noah for a boy, were the 'uber' names in our district.

Jack is the most popular boys name apparently, but I honestly cant remember coming across a single Jack......

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Lauren, Leah and Megan are uber popular in Cork. My daughter had 3 Saoirse's, Sarah's and Chloes in her class in primary.

Alex is popular here.

I know 2 people who have named sons Noah, sorry, can only see an old man with a stick on an ark when I hear it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

So the royals have named their son George Alexander Louis..... Anyone have any of those three on their list?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

There was I thinking we were set on a girls name and a boys name for the soon-to-be new arrival until the OH re-ignited the discussion the other evening. The boys name has remained the same, but we now have two girls names neither of which is the one we had picked a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

nikpmup wrote: »
    So the royals have named their son George Alexander Louis..... Anyone have any of those three on their list?

I was hoping they'd go for something a little less predictable ... Oh well!

I don't like George ... Alexander and Louis are quite nice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I don't mind George, but one of my cousins sons is called George so that was never on the table. I like Louis, and Alexander is on our list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

nikpmup wrote: »
    I don't mind George, but one of my cousins sons is called George so that was never on the table. I like Louis, and Alexander is on our list :)

I've a friend who called her baby Alexander recently ... otherwise, it would probably be on my list. It's a great strong name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

So first time around we knew it was a girl and loved the Names Katie or Lily. We were so sure it would be one of those. When she was born we decided neither suited. (before she was born I never understood when people said this but it happened) a few days later we finally agreed on Aoife.
    We struggled so much to name her even known she was a girl even having met her we still struggled.
    Still have a long time to go this time but I don't know how we will agree.
    Dillon or Billy were our boys names first time but then again she didn't end up as Katie or Lily.
    Ugh I struggled to name our dogs, naming our child is so hard, We just don't agree. And everybody has something to say about it. Needless to say this time we wont discuss it with any body else.

Baby Alexander from Peppa Pig: is what my 2 year old said:) I like Alexander but I think George is an old mans name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Suucee wrote: »
    And everybody has something to say about it. Needless to say this time we wont discuss it with any body else.

Totally agree with this. I absolutely loved some names but have been turned off names by some people's reactions when I've told them what names I've been thinking of. In the last month I've decided not to tell anyone what name l'll probably end up naming my baby. I like names that are different but which are not too out there at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Totally agree with this. I absolutely loved some names but have been turned off names by some people's reactions when I've told them what names I've been thinking of. In the last month I've decided not to tell anyone what name l'll probably end up naming my baby. I like names that are different but which are not too out there at the same time.

We didn't tell anyone what we were going to call our baby - once she arrived I contacted people saying Baby A is here. Everyone thinks they can comment on it while pregnant, but once the baby is here very few people would dare say 'I don't like that name' :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do not tell anybody your names! I was completely turned off the name we had picked our second daughter by everyone we told.

Advertisement