Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I would totally agree to keep the names secret. Nobody needs to know until after the baby is born.

Really loving the name Phinneas at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I thought I was sure about naming my daughter Cassie-Rose but now I can't get the name Lorelle-Rose out of my head. What do you think of Lorelle-Rose?

I really like Lorelle. It's the first time I have ever heard of it. It's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

I thought I was sure about naming my daughter Cassie-Rose but now I can't get the name Lorelle-Rose out of my head. What do you think of Lorelle-Rose?
    oh wouldn't like that, sounds like supermans dad jor-el!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Pang wrote: »
    I really like Lorelle. It's the first time I have ever heard of it. It's different.

Beautiful - you could call ger Lori for short!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I like Lorelle but I think Lorelle-Rose is a bit of a mouthful. Would you consider having Rose as a middle name instead of hyphenatibg it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

One of my own criteria for a name is that I want people to be able to spell it ... Lorelle is definitely one she'll have to keep spelling out for people her whole life. I can see it getting spelt (and maybe even pronounced) as Laurel quite a bit. :o

Plus she might get kids calling her L'Oreal!

Of the two names, I prefer Cassie myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Hey guys, lots fantastic names in here! I've got a few names that I like, I'm a big irish name fan but lately I've heard a few other names that I really like too. Here's my two cents anyway!

Irish Boys
    Oisín
    Tadgh
    Fionn

Irish Girls
    Róise (pro Row-SHA)
    Sadhbh
    Fiadh (pro Fi-a)

Then Non Irish names

Boys
    Lucas
    Elliot
    Evan

Girls
    Anna
    Ruby
    Cora

Your thoughts on these few names are welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Irish names but I like Róise and Fiadh (although I'd spell it Fia personally). I'm not mad about your Irish boys names but I'm not mad about them in general.

I love Lucas and Elliot.

I love Anna and Ruby. Cora is nice too - it will be less common than Anna and Ruby.

My Ruby has just turned 8 years old.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Hey guys, lots fantastic names in here! I've got a few names that I like, I'm a big irish name fan but lately I've heard a few other names that I really like too. Here's my two cents anyway!

Irish Boys
    Oisín
    Tadgh
    Fionn

Irish Girls
    Róise (pro Row-SHA)
    Sadhbh
    Fiadh (pro Fi-a)

Then Non Irish names

Boys
    Lucas
    Elliot
    Evan

Girls
    Anna
    Ruby
    Cora

I love irish names never heard of Róise before.
    I like your irish and english boys names and I like Saidhbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Irish Boys
    Oisín
    Tadgh
    Fionn

Irish Girls
    Róise (pro Row-SHA)
    Sadhbh
    Fiadh (pro Fi-a)

Then Non Irish names

Boys
    Lucas
    Elliot
    Evan

Girls
    Anna
    Ruby
    Cora

Your 3 irish boys name all came up in our chat about names first time around but the only one OH liked was Oisin . We didn't think we could use it as he has 2 cousins with the same name, One of which would only be 6 months older than ours and with the same surname also, We ended up with a girl anyway I wonder could we consider it now.
    Never heard of Fiadh before and I actually really like it, Just mentioned it to OH and he's not impressed. Think were going to have a struggle again this time.
    Also like Evan

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love irish names never heard of Róise before.
    I like your irish and english boys names and I like Saidhbh.

Róise & Ríona De Búrca were twins from Ros na Rún!

Little concerned people would look at the name Róise and pronounce it 'Rosie', although I'm sure people mispronounce names all the time now, considering how many 'new' names there are today. I really really love Elliot but isn't it a girl/boy name? Fears it would be shortened to Elli :eek:

Thanks for the opinions guys!

Suucee wrote: »
    Your 3 irish boys name all came up in our chat about names first time around but the only one OH liked was Oisin . We didn't think we could use it as he has 2 cousins with the same name, One of which would only be 6 months older than ours and with the same surname also, We ended up with a girl anyway I wonder could we consider it now.
    Never heard of Fiadh before and I actually really like it, Just mentioned it to OH and he's not impressed. Think were going to have a struggle again this time.
    Also like Evan

I do love Oísin & its not very popular where I'm living at the moment, which makes it all the more lovable. Fiadh is beautiful & I was concerned with the Irish spelling considering its pronounced Fi-a but Irish names are always getting mispronounced, especially abroad. I've a brother Eoin in Australia at the moment & he's fed up with Ozzies pronouncing his name E-wan! Although here in Ireland no one would ever really mess up a name like Eoin! My other brother is called Daire (Dara) and some, although very few, pronounce his name Dar-ee. My mam's a little bothered now that she's heard of a few girls being called Daire as she's claims its a boys name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I do love Oísin & its not very popular where I'm living at the moment, which makes it all the more lovable. Fiadh is beautiful & I was concerned with the Irish spelling considering its pronounced Fi-a but Irish names are always getting mispronounced, especially abroad. I've a brother Eoin in Australia at the moment & he's fed up with Ozzies pronouncing his name E-wan! Although here in Ireland no one would ever really mess up a name like Eoin! My other brother is called Daire (Dara) and some, although very few, pronounce his name Dar-ee. My mam's a little bothered now that she's heard of a few girls being called Daire as she's claims its a boys name.

Yea ive heard of Daire as a girl also. OH just pointed out also that as we already have an Aoife if we used Fiadh things might get confusing.
    We are going to find out gender this time again so will be able to narrow it down a bit at least when we know.

Roise is such a pretty name as is Fiadh. I love those names which just evoke images of prettiness.

I wouldn't be keen on Elliot. I always think of Elliot from Scrubs which isn't a bad thing but I just don't really like unisex names. Other examples would be Morgan, Reilly.

I was looking on Nameberry a few nights ago and couldn't believe that in the States, a girl's name 'Bloodrayne' was gaining popularity. I think it's from a video game or something. I just don't get how you could call any child a name with blood in it.

Suucee, I adore the name Aoife! Alas I've a cousin Aoife therefore the name has been 'taken' in my eyes :( Also your OH makes a very valid point about Aoife and Faidh! lol

Pang, I was just about to mention nameberry.com. The names I've seen there are just beyond! Bloodrayne!? OH's surname is McGrane so it would be... Bloodrayne McGrane!! lol!

I'm trying to find names that are, how you say, classical/traditional but not over popular? Its proving very difficult! Once a cousin or a friend has called there baby a particular name, I won't use it myself - just because I want to be a little different. Not crazy 'Bloodrayne' different, just Róise or Fiadh different! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

I detest the name Tadgh. To me it sounds like a sound someone might make while vomiting, horrible!!

Bloodrayne McGrane!! lol!

Omg that sounds hilarious! When I read it aloud, I burst into laughter! :D

Classical names are becoming very popular so it's definitely getting harder to find one which isn't becoming overused. I love the names Clara and Ava but they're becoming very popular.

I like the forums on Nameberry for helping out with suggesting names and possible middle names. If you like classical names and traditional names, it might be an idea to check out the top 100 names for boys and girls from the 20s, 30s etc... You might find something a little different!:)

By the way, I love Ruby as well. Misread it earlier as Rudy which reminded me of Dexter's brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love the Irish names but as others have said its hard to think of one that's not over used (I'd hate to say common)

Girls
    Ailbhe
    Eabha
    Deirdre
    Aisling
    Clodagh
    Roisin

Boys
    Michael
    Daithi
    Donal
    James
    Tiernan

Any opinions?

Irish Boys
    Oisín
    Tadgh
    Fionn

Irish Girls
    Róise (pro Row-SHA)
    Sadhbh
    Fiadh (pro Fi-a)

Then Non Irish names

Boys
    Lucas
    Elliot
    Evan

Girls
    Anna
    Ruby
    Cora

Of your list my favorites are
    Fionn

Roise
    Fia

Evan

Anna

:)

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    I love the Irish names but as others have said its hard to think of one that's not over used (I'd hate to say common)

Girls
    Ailbhe
    Eabha
    Deirdre
    Aisling
    Clodagh
    Roisin

Boys
    Michael
    Daithi
    Donal
    James
    Tiernan

Any opinions?

Love your choices BUT I had Daithi on my list too but OH didn't like it because he was convinced people would pronounce it 'Dotty' unlike Dah-he. I have to agree with him, where we live anyway people murder names like Ethan, they'd say Eat-en!!

On your girl choices I like Roisin & Ailbhe. For the boys I like James & Michael.

Lisha, from your list, Tiernan and Eabha would definitely be my favourites.

I'm not keen on Deirdre at all. It's very old or something. I think of Deirdre Barlow. I'm terrible. If a name reminds me of someone I don't like etc..., it destroys the name on me.:o

James is definitely a popular name too. I think it features quite highly on the top 100 list annually. I know we have alot of James' in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi All,

OH due in a months time so getting close now. We named our first child Noah and have a few names on the list if baby 2 is another boy.

What do people think of- Jamie, Rhys, Kyle, Zac? Would Elijah be pushing the biblical thing too far?!?

Hi All,

OH due in a months time so getting close now. We named our first child Noah and have a few names on the list if baby 2 is another boy.

What do people think of- Jamie, Rhys, Kyle, Zac? Would Elijah be pushing the biblical thing too far?!?

For me Elijah would be too much. Sorry.

I love Jamie, and Zac, Kyle is ok, Rhys not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No offence but it sounds a bit travelerish.

Hi All,

Jamie & Rhys are unisex names, which I tend to stay away from. I know a girl called Jaime & a guy called Jamie (notice the slight spelling difference!) I've got a male cousin called Rhys, spelled the same unlike Reece which would be the female version I think? I don't think Elijah would be pushing the biblical side of things as I was going to throw Moses out there lol. Zac I like too, Noah & Zac sound good together. Kyle I'm not so keen on, reminds me of Kylie

Pang wrote: »
    Lisha, from your list, Tiernan and Eabha would definitely be my favourites.

I'm not keen on Deirdre at all. It's very old or something. I think of Deirdre Barlow. I'm terrible. If a name reminds me of someone I don't like etc..., it destroys the name on me.:o

James is definitely a popular name too. I think it features quite highly on the top 100 list annually. I know we have alot of James' in school.

I love eabha but its very common near me so won't use it. Deirdre is appealing to me as its not a used name. (I'm contrary )
    Tiernan is fab, but foolishly I told my mam and she hates it.
    James is fab and Michael I really really love.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Xdancer wrote: »
    We didn't tell anyone what we were going to call our baby - once she arrived I contacted people saying Baby A is here. Everyone thinks they can comment on it while pregnant, but once the baby is here very few people would dare say 'I don't like that name' :)
    +100.
    Definitely recommend people to do this!

Irish Boys
    Oisín
    Tadgh
    Fionn

Irish Girls
    Róise (pro Row-SHA)
    Sadhbh
    Fiadh (pro Fi-a)

Then Non Irish names

Boys
    Lucas
    Elliot
    Evan

Girls
    Anna
    Ruby
    Cora

I like Anna for a girl, used it for my own daughter 3.5 months ago :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi All,

Jamie and Rhys are not too bad.
    I have to say i do not like Kyle or Zac they are very american.

• Advertisement

Love your choices BUT I had Daithi on my list too but OH didn't like it because he was convinced people would pronounce it 'Dotty' unlike Dah-he. I have to agree with him, where we live anyway people murder names like Ethan, they'd say Eat-en!!

On your girl choices I like Roisin & Ailbhe. For the boys I like James & Michael.

Lol the pronouncation can really affect a name alright

The lovely name Ruth gets butchered to Root around here, I love Beth but it would be Bett here :(

Advertisement