Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hi All,

OH due in a months time so getting close now. We named our first child Noah and have a few names on the list if baby 2 is another boy.

What do people think of- Jamie, Rhys, Kyle, Zac? Would Elijah be pushing the biblical thing too far?!?[/quote)

Rhys is the only name I like out of the four. As another poster said Zac is very American as is Kyle. Jamie has become very popular as a girls name where I work.

Samuel or Sam would work well with Noah. I actually like Elijah. I mean you could use Eli for short.

Lisha wrote: »
    I love eabha but its very common near me so won't use it. Deirdre is appealing to me as its not a used name. (I'm contrary )
    Tiernan is fab, but foolishly I told my mam and she hates it.
    James is fab and Michael I really really love.

That's a pity about Tiernan. I've really taken to that name since you mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

anncoates wrote: »
    No offence but it sounds a bit travelerish.

Which name? Think the Lorelle Rose name was a one night wonder and won't be used anyhow.

I love the Irish names but as others have said its hard to think of one that's not over used (I'd hate to say common)

Girls
    Ailbhe
    Eabha
    Deirdre
    Aisling
    Clodagh
    Roisin

Boys
    Michael
    Daithi
    Donal
    James
    Tiernan

Any opinions?

I love all your names especially Roisin and Tiernan. My neighbours have a girl called Tierney which I really like.

Has anyone read Katie Hopkins who got known from the Apprentice UK opinions on different names? Gosh she really slates some names. Although I do agree with her on certain names. I do think it's child abuse calling your daughter Chardonnay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2377593/Katie-Hopkins-Kate-Middletons-baby-Prince-George-fits-I-dog-named-George.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I love all your names especially Roisin and Tiernan. My neighbours have a girl called Tierney which I really like.

Think I've got some form here as I backed Alexander Louis to be the new prince's name (free competition)!
    Can't stand the name Tiernan. My favourite Irish names are Diarmuid, Oisin and Fionn. I like Riain too which means "little king", I think. Aoife and Niamh are my favourite Irish names for girls. I love Realtin too (little star). Think the meaning and folklore associated with names are important too. That could just be the teacher in me coming out!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

honeybear wrote: »
    My favourite Irish names are Diarmuid, Oisin and Fionn. Think the meaning and folklore associated with names are important too. That could just be the teacher in me coming out!

Really love Oisin & Fionn. I've read on some sites that Fionn can be pronounced Finn, but I've always pronounced it as it was spelled? As in Fionn Mac Cumhaill?

Also would Fionn be a little too, how you say, 'diddly aye' seeing as OH's surname is McGrane - as in 'Fionn McGrane' aka Fionn Mac Cumhaill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I love the Irish names but as others have said its hard to think of one that's not over used (I'd hate to say common)

Girls
    Ailbhe
    Eabha
    Deirdre
    Aisling
    Clodagh
    Roisin

Boys
    Michael
    Daithi
    Donal
    James
    Tiernan

Any opinions?

I wanted clodagh for a girl. Partner didn't like it. We decided on aisling then for our first if it was a girl, but we'd a boy. The second time we considered aisling as a girls name, but preferred saoirse so we went with that. It was a close second though.

As for telling your mum, without wanting to sound rude, I wouldn't care what she thinks, she had her kids and her chance to call them what she wanted. My MIL Hated our names and was constantly saying our girls name should be Valerie (which I hate) and we wanted Irish names. She still hates our name and pretends she can't remember it or pronounce it in hopes we'll change it.

I think everyone should go with what they like. Not everyone will like your choices and that's their prerogative but it is better than wishing you went with a name but didn't just to suit others

honeybear wrote: »
    Think I've got some form here as I backed Alexander Louis to be the new prince's name (free competition)!
    Can't stand the name Tiernan. My favourite Irish names are Diarmuid, Oisin and Fionn. I like Riain too which means "little king", I think. Aoife and Niamh are my favourite Irish names for girls. I love Realtin too (little star). Think the meaning and folklore associated with names are important too. That could just be the teacher in me coming out!

I'm a teacher too and I love the name Realtin, there's a little girl in Junior Infs who is as cute as a button and has made me like the name even more. I have two good friends called Aoife and Niamh so they're out. I was thinking of Riain if I ended up having a boy but I think it will be very mispronounced, like Rain.

One thing I've noticed is getting very popular in recent years is the use of random Irish words as names. There's a girl in my school who whatever day of the week she was born on was going to be called that day in Irish. She was born on a Wednesday so she is called Ceadaoin. I also used to teach a boy called Croi and the sad thing about it was that his parents had no Croi because he was the most unloved child I'd ever come across :(.

I looked up a lot of the folklore stories in Irish. One name that I liked was Bebh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

What you and your partner choose to name your child is nobody's business but yours and others need to respect that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I loved Fiadh before I was pregnant this time around and swore I'd call my daughter that if I had one. However friends called their daughter Maya (pronounced my-a) and a colleague called his daughter Ria and somehow the similarities turned me off. I still love it but just not for us!

I actually liked Margo, Anna and Mathilde but my husband wanted an Irish name.

We were stumped for a boys name and were at an impasse between Finn (my choice) and Fionn (his). I think Neil was a contender as was Diarmuid. I also liked Peter and Daniel but again they were vetoed. I think we both felt we were having a girl though so we were both agreed on Aoife although we both liked Helen and Ellen too.

This name picking is a tough business. Before you're pregnant you think you like certain names but when you have to choose one for your baby the slightest thing can change your mind. Or mine at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I like Aidan for a boy, but a good friend of mine called her little girl Ayda, so I think it might be too similar.

I also like Daniel, James, Conor and William for a boy. For a girl, I like Amelia, Clara, Cora, Alice and Rachel.

Haven't really thought too much about names yet though ... we'll start looking into it when we find out if it's a boy or a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Tlachtga wrote: »
    For a girl, I like Amelia, Clara, Cora, Alice and Rachel.

Rachel! ^.^

Sometimes, while on the topic of names, people say to me 'Oh you were only called Rachel because 'Friends' was popular at the time.' Not true, I was born way before that show began! Mam says she called me Rachel because if she had of had another girl she would of been called Leah - sisters from the bible! Alas, I have no sisters! My name gets shortened to 'Ray' quite a bit, which I don't mind. Some people don't like their chosen names to be shortened, I've a friend who called she daughter Robyn but she's heard her mam call her 'Rob' or 'Robbie' already & she nipped it in the bud straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh I really like Ayda. Wonder will OH agree

Suucee wrote: »

I think it's an absolutely gorgeous name. And you know, I didn't like it at all when I first heard it, and if my friend had told me it before the baby was born, I'd have probably tried to put her off it. So I'm so glad now she didn't tell me ... I can't imagine any other name suiting her as well!

Aw you know what came into my head when I read that and I suppose it depends what part of the country you're from is 'Aye Da'. Aye is a word used a lot where I'm from.

Ayda is nice. Is it the same name as Aida? Just spelt differently?

I have only ever known one girl called Aida and she's in her 30s. I think Aida is popular in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Aida/Ayda look butchered to me! I prefer the Ada spelling. Its a very beautiful name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tlachtga wrote: »
    I like Aidan for a boy, but a good friend of mine called her little girl Ayda, so I think it might be too similar.

I also like Daniel, James, Conor and William for a boy. For a girl, I like Amelia, Clara, Cora, Alice and Rachel.

Haven't really thought too much about names yet though ... we'll start looking into it when we find out if it's a boy or a girl.

i don't like Rachael , I love Aodhán for a boy but it can not go with our surname ,it would be the Brian O'Brien scenario. I love Conor too,it is a good strong name.

My son was unnamed for days because we could not agree on a boys name I love Cillian and he really does not and I was not a fan of his name so we settled on his:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ugh OH doesnt like Ayda. I really do.
    His names are
    Amy
    Dillon (i like this)
    Jack

I like them but dont know if i love them and they are all fairly popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Isn't Aida pronounced eye-ee-da and Ayda is pronounced like it's spelled i.e A-Da? I also prefer Ada as a spelling. The y looks kind of superfluous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Correct

My youngest is Rían and i've spent 9 years years trying to explain this to certain people :mad:

I agree

I also think Liam should be pronounced Lime and Cian as Kyne

Ugh OH doesnt like Ayda. I really do.
    His names are
    Amy
    Dillon (i like this)
    Jack

I like them but dont know if i love them and they are all fairly popular.

Jack and Amy are very popular. Personally, I wouldn't go for them as there are so many kids with those names. In our school, we have at least two if not more of each name in each year group.

Dillon is ok but I have seen it spelt this way more as a surname. I prefer the spelling of it as Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

baby due any day and no names picked!!

Opinions greatly appreciated!
    Elizabeth
    Iris
    Eibhilin / Eibhlin / Evelyn
    Frances
    Charlotte

Caleb
    Ruan
    Rowen
    Riordan
    Braden
    Nicholas

Little My wrote: »

Elizabeth
    Iris
    Frances
    Charlotte

Caleb
    Ruan
    Rowen
    Riordan
    Braden
    Nicholas

My favourites are ...

Iris (depends on the second name, though)
    Eibhlin/Evelyn

Rowen
    Riordan

I think Braden is VERY American. And I find Nicholas and Frances very old-fashioned.

Elizabeth is nice too - will always be shortened to Liz/Lizzie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Elizabeth
    Iris
    Frances
    Charlotte

Caleb
    Ruan
    Rowen
    Riordan
    Braden
    Nicholas

I think my general advice to most of you who have a list of possible names, to wait until the little one is in your arms and see what name suits his/her the most then.

With my first I was determined with one name.
    With the 2nd one I had a few in mind, but when she came out and I got to bond with her the first few hours, that's when I decided that she looked more like my 3rd choice of name.

But if you've already decided beforehand it is actually lovely to call your bump with the chosen name :)

Having said that I actually like Charlotte and Caleb the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The surname is a very unusual english surname (there's only 1 listed in the irish residential phonebook!) but its not weird sounding or anything. Goes with most things in my opinion anyway.

I really like Nicholas but have reservations as I don't like Nick/Nicky which I think will invariably happen.

Elizabeth I would probably shorten to Beth/Bess/Bessie myself to try avoid Liz/Lizzie.

I really liked Eoghain but my friend has just had an Eoghain so that kinda ruled it out for me.

I should have also spelt Rowan/Bradan with an 'a' as opposed to an 'e'.

I think I prefer the extra syllable in Eibhilin to Eibhlin.

I really liked Caleb Nicholas but realised it would be initals would be Cnt. Just seems very wrong now!

This baby won't be named for weeks! My sister-in-law said yesterday that you have to name the baby before you leave hospital now?

Pang wrote: »
    Ayda is nice. Is it the same name as Aida? Just spelt differently?

I have only ever known one girl called Aida and she's in her 30s. I think Aida is popular in Spain.

It's also very popular in Malaysia. I know at least 4 Aidas. I prefer when it's pronounced Eye-ee-Da. But over there they tend to pronounce it Eye-Da.

This baby won't be named for weeks! My sister-in-law said yesterday that you have to name the baby before you leave hospital now?

I think they prefer you to name the baby before leaving as they need to inform the birth registration office, but technically you have 3 months to name him/her and you have every right to wait.

• Advertisement

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, since we're talking about baby names anyway, does anyone know if I can add a middle name at later stage, like 1.5 years later?

Advertisement