Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Little My wrote: »
    baby due any day and no names picked!!

Opinions greatly appreciated!
    Elizabeth
    Iris
    Eibhilin / Eibhlin / Evelyn
    Frances
    Charlotte

Caleb
    Ruan
    Rowen
    Riordan
    Braden
    Nicholas

Evelyn and Frances I would consider quite old fashioned. Out of your girls names I like Iris and Charlotte. I think Iris is very nice as there definitely aren't many girls called Iris.

With Charlotte, there is the danger of people calling her Lottie. So how would you feel about that?

Out of your boys names, I love Ruan. It's beautiful. Roan is a name that would feature quite highly on my list of favourite boys names.

Nicholas is quite traditional and it would be very difficult to stop people calling him Nick or worse Nicky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I adore Evelyn, I think its beautiful. Charlotte and Iris and very pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Name - Annora (f)

Pronunciation - an NOR a

Other Forms* - Onóra, Nóra

Meaning - Honor (from Latin)

....Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Love Annora. Also love Elora, which is similar. Sound like the kind of names a Princess would have :)

Its Irish, although I've never heard of it before. There's a website which explains a few different types of Irish names..... but they may be full of it, I have no idea!

http://www.namenerds.com/irish/meaning11.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I quite like Annora. Another similar(ish) one I heard is Leonora ... I love it, it just sounds so elegant! I think the girl I met by that name was half Italian.

I like Annora. When I looked it up there, it didn't come up immediately as a name of anybody.

One thing I did see is that it is something on World of Warcraft!!

Pang wrote: »
    I like Annora.

One thing I did see is that it is something on World of Warcraft!!

Oh God.... I better not tell OH that, he'd pick it for that reason alone!!

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Oh God.... I better not tell OH that, he'd pick it for that reason alone!!

:D That is brilliant! It's a lovely name. What type of middle name would you be thinking of using with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Name - Annora (f)

Pronunciation - an NOR a

Other Forms* - Onóra, Nóra

Meaning - Honor (from Latin)

....Thoughts?

I love it. Very girly and elegant. Easy to say too :)

• Advertisement

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Anora

Found the spelling of Anora, its Latin for Honor

Pang wrote: »
    :D That is brilliant! It's a lovely name. What type of middle name would you be thinking of using with it?

See, I'm strange ... & hell bent on finding an Irish name! Was full sure I had found a diamond there, ticked all my boxes - Irish, some form of the name 'Ann' in there, could be shortened to Annie if needs be, not overly popular or 'used to death' & had a nice meaning 'Honor'.

There really isn't much thought gone into the second name yet, except for one Bríd.
    So.... Aanora Bríd McGrane?

I don't why I thought of it but I looked up a website of French girls names. The most beautiful names I've ever heard of are French. They're so girly too.

I know a French girl called Amandine and it's such a beautiful name. I had never heard of it before. I think it's so sweet and girly.

See, I'm strange ... & hell bent on finding an Irish name! Was full sure I had found a diamond there, ticked all my boxes - Irish, some form of the name 'Ann' in there, could be shortened to Annie if needs be, not overly popular or 'used to death' & had a nice meaning 'Honor'.

There really isn't much thought gone into the second name yet, except for one Bríd.

Rachel Ann, have a look at this website if you haven't already and see maybe if there's a name meaning honour etc... that you might like.

http://www.amethyst-night.com/names/irishfem.html

So.... Aanora Bríd McGrane?[/quote]

Aw I love love it. Can I steal the whole name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Boy - Charles Arthur Edward Lincoln or Cael for short or possibly just Charles Arthur for 1st borne and Cáel for 2nd..
    Girl - Iseult Ingrid Imogen (III) and use the nickname 3 or variant!

That is all!

Aw I love love it. Can I steal the whole name :P

I keep running back to OH & saying 'Well the girls on the Boards form like it!' lol I think he's getting outnumbered by the ladies in here :D

I keep running back to OH & saying 'Well the girls on the Boards form like it!' lol I think he's getting outnumbered by the ladies in here :D

Hee hee, you tell him!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I don't why I thought of it but I looked up a website of French girls names. The most beautiful names I've ever heard of are French. They're so girly too.

All the names I liked were French, and so my LO has a French name. She is half French too :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is a nice name but do not trust those names websites that it is irish. It seems to be english and of Latin origin.

We decided to give our kids iris names and I was surprised what some of the websites claimed were irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this, since we're talking about baby names anyway, does anyone know if I can add a middle name at later stage, like 1.5 years later?

No you can not amend the birth cert with extra names.

Little My wrote: »
    The surname is a very unusual english surname (there's only 1 listed in the irish residential phonebook!) but its not weird sounding or anything. Goes with most things in my opinion anyway.

I really like Nicholas but have reservations as I don't like Nick/Nicky which I think will invariably happen.

Elizabeth I would probably shorten to Beth/Bess/Bessie myself to try avoid Liz/Lizzie.

I really liked Eoghain but my friend has just had an Eoghain so that kinda ruled it out for me.

I should have also spelt Rowan/Bradan with an 'a' as opposed to an 'e'.

I think I prefer the extra syllable in Eibhilin to Eibhlin.

I really liked Caleb Nicholas but realised it would be initals would be Cnt. Just seems very wrong now!

This baby won't be named for weeks! My sister-in-law said yesterday that you have to name the baby before you leave hospital now?

No, you don't.
    Some people leave when the baby is a few hours old and have no idea what they are going to call babies.
    My youngest is 6 months and he was unnamed for about 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

You have 3 months to name the child.

However, the HSE make it easy by allowing the official paperwork to be done in the hospital.
    This saves a trip to the registry office.

Have up to date picture ID with you in the hospital for the parent who is doing the registering.

I did not realise that any hospitals let you register the baby there anymore.
    I had to register all 3 in the registry office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I did not realise that any hospitals let you register the baby there anymore.
    I had to register all 3 in the registry office.

I think it depends on the hospital, tbh. Holles st you do still have to go to the registry office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

In the coombe too. They take down some of the details and forward them to the registry office ie my daughters name, date, time and place of birth were on the system when we went to register her but we had to complete the process in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

In the coombe too. They take down some of the details and forward them to the registry office ie my daughters name, date, time and place of birth were on the system when we went to register her but we had to complete the process in person.

Same in the Rotunda. They take the details but then tell you to head To the registry office after 10 working days to fill paperwork

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was someone looking for the Irish version of Honour?

It's Onóir (un-oar).

We saw the name "Fiach" on my son's creche wall yesterday, got us thinking about UTV Gladiators and what the translations would be like as names.

Mactíre had us in stitches. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

You can register your baby in CUMH, the hospital have an office there and you can do the lot yourself before you leave - its really handy.

Advertisement