Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Weirdest thing ever...

I've often thought about names I'd give my children (if I'm lucky to have them one day) and commenting on this thread has really made me realise something..

For years I've struggled to think of a boy's name I REALLY like, but after this thread I've realised that "Leo" is now my most favourite boys' name!

I'm so happy (and possibly pathetic) that I've found a name I love and I hope someday I get to use it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Its just my two cents, I just love Irish names so much & 100% will give mine Irish names. First being Róise pro. Row-sha. My mam said 'Oh she'll end up being called Rosie'. Not at all, I'll make sure of it ;)
    I met a girl called Róise when I was in the Gaeltacht many years ago. She was forever correcting people's pronunciation of it. Even Irish people have a lot of difficulty with the more unusual Irish names.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I met a girl called Róise when I was in the Gaeltacht many years ago. She was forever correcting people's pronunciation of it. Even Irish people have a lot of difficulty with the more unusual Irish names.

I had the same problem. Not even the múinteorí could get my name right! But as had already been said, an unusual name is not that bad. It becomes a talking point and also makes it easier for people to remember you. I grew up in Africa so obviously people struggled with my name there but I still love and am very proud to have it.

Even the most simple names will confuse someone. Please don't change a name for reasons line pronunciation. If you can make your child peps of their name it shouldn't be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Caoilfhionn is my husbands favourite too but the last baby was a boy so he got a Caolán instead. If we were to have another girl that would be his 1st choice.
    Never heard Fainche, how is it pronounced?

We're pretty sure Fainche is pronounced Fawn-cha (boyfriends mum is a native Irish speaker and that's how she says it!)
    I love the Irish names my mum on the other hand not so keen but as I keep telling her it's not her name and she'll have to like whatever name we choose as it'll be her grandchild!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Ice Storm wrote: »

I recognise that Róise isn't very well known & the first place I heard it was Ros Na Run - twins Róise & Ríona De Búrca. But to me it's not an overly complicated name that has a big long spelling. If people can manage Róisín (Row-sheen) then Róise (Row-sha) shouldn't be too much of a jump ;) I'm sure there was a time too when Róisín wasn't overly popular & when the name first started to be used more frequently people may have struggled with it too. I know when I first saw the name Caoimhe I was like 'how in the world do you pronounce that'. But now Caoimhe is second nature to me, as is Tadhg, Naoise, Oisín etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I recognise that Róise isn't very well known & the first place I heard it was Ros Na Run - twins Róise & Ríona De Búrca. But to me it's not an overly complicated name that has a big long spelling. If people can manage Róisín (Row-sheen) then Róise (Row-sha) shouldn't be too much of a jump ;)
    Yeah, it's funny that people had so much trouble with it. I think the Róise that I knew used a slightly different pronunciation, kind of like Roy-sha and that's why people had difficulty with it.

Personally, I have a really common name and there were always 3 or 4 of us in the same class in school so I would love to have a more unusual name! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

lmullen wrote: »

Caoilainn was my favourite but I think Meabh could win out!

Sorry to be a pain, but that isn't how you spell it. It's "Caoileann"; Irish spelling dictates that you either have narrow vowel sounds (i or e) on either side of the middle consonant (l) or broad vowels either side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sorry to be a pain, but that isn't how you spell it. It's "Caoileann"; Irish spelling dictates that you either have narrow vowel sounds (i or e) on either side of the middle consonant (l) or broad vowels either side.

Caoilfhionn would be the correct spelling;)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Caoilfhionn would be the correct spelling;)

Oops, I thought it was the male name ye were discussing:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Irish name experts! Couple of questions ... :)

What's the most "correct" Irish version of Evelyn? I'm inclined to think Eibhlin? Although I realise it's not pronounced quite the same ... two syllables rather than three.

Also, is Cora considered to be an Irish name? And if so, is there a fada on the o?

Finally, is there an accepted Irish spelling for the name pronounced Ay-veen? I often see it spelt Aoibheann but pronounced Ay-veen, seems completely wrong to me.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 MatthewsMary

Francesca, Carver

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Irish name experts! Couple of questions ... :)

What's the most "correct" Irish version of Evelyn? I'm inclined to think Eibhlin? Although I realise it's not pronounced quite the same ... two syllables rather than three.

Also, is Cora considered to be an Irish name? And if so, is there a fada on the o?

Finally, is there an accepted Irish spelling for the name pronounced Ay-veen? I often see it spelt Aoibheann but pronounced Ay-veen, seems completely wrong to me.

Thank you!!

Eibhlín. It's got an "een" ending as Gaeilge.

Cora, I'm not entirely sure of the origin, but the closest I've heard back West is the boy's name Córrach. Cora is a gorgeous name in its own right and personally I wouldn't add the fada.

Aoibheann I've heard pronounced a variety of ways, from Ay-veen to Yvonne, but the word itself is more like 'even'. There's a bit more nuance to it but I can't figure out how to type it.

Éimhín is the spelling for the Ay-veen name. Nother lovely one IMO and you don't hear it mad often these days.

Just checked and that boys' name is actually Cárthach.

Cora is Scottish apparently. Which explains why I'm tempted to say it in a highlands accent. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As far as I know both Ay-veen, Ee-veen, and Even are all accepted pronunciations of Aoibheann. I personally know two people with the name, one pronouncing it Ay-veen, and one Even.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I know a girl called Aoibheann who pronounces it Ee-van (emphasis on the 2nd syllable). I have heard so many pronunciations of that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I think Eibhlín and Éimhín are both gorgeous, however I really don't want to pick a name that will forever be misspelt/mispronounced. Cora is definitely a possibility though. :)

Another one I love is Aoibhe, again it would never be spelt right though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think Cara is a lovely name.

Tlachtga wrote: »

I think Eibhlín is gorgeous - it can be pronounced with three syllables if you want : Ev-eh-leen. Ev-leen would be more usual.

Would you consider Cara? Not exactly an Irish name, but it does mean 'friend' which is lovely

Oh god, Aoibheann causes all types of problems, because it's pronounced differently in different areas and then lots of people just chose the sound they like - Even is the most 'correct', but Ee-veen (though I would go with Aoibhín for that one) and Ay-veen (I'd agree with Das Kitty on Éimhín) would be very popular.

Aoibhe is lovely, it's very close to Aoife - which is one people usually get right! Don't worry about other people getting it wrong however - your child will know how to spell it and correct it for people. As long as it is spelt correctly, you shouldn't let other people's possible difficulty dictate your child's name. If we did, all the kids would be Toms and Marys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If we did, all the kids would be Toms and Marys!

Nothing wrong with Tom or Mary as names either implausible.

pwurple wrote: »

A bit confusing for the teachers I would imagine though. :pac:

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »

No, nothing at all, in fact I'm quite fond of a particular Tom! My point was that we should not feel pressured to pick names based on the sole criteria of how easy they are for other people to pronounce or spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No, nothing at all, in fact I'm quite fond of a particular Tom! My point was that we should not feel pressured to pick names based on the sole criteria of how easy they are for other people to pronounce or spell.

I agree, just sometimes feel there is a pressure for every name to be a special snowflake as well. The children are all unique anyway, people don't confuse all the Toms... because they are different people. :)

I'm a simple name fan myself, but I think it's a shame to rule out a name you adore because of people spelling it wrong.

My mother-in-law wants "ainm Gaelach" for our new sprog. Neither my OH nor I really like any though (in spite of being fluent speakers), so I'm afraid she'll have to wait for one of her other kids to fulfil that wish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Cara is a very pretty name!

My friend Aoibheann pronounces it E-veen, but I have heard at least two other pronunciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Pang wrote: »
    Cara is a very pretty name!

My friend Aoibheann pronounces it E-veen, but I have heard at least two other pronunciations.

Went to school with a girl called Aoibheann, she pronounced it A-veen. I guess its a lot to do with what part of Ireland your from? Like I hear some people pronounce Fionn like Finn & then I hear others say F-yun. As with Caoimhe, some say Quee-va & others say Kee-va.

In the county I'm from, we say A-veen, F-yun & Quee-va :D

Went to school with a girl called Aoibheann, she pronounced it A-veen. I guess its a lot to do with what part of Ireland your from? Like I hear some people pronounce Fionn like Finn & then I hear others say F-yun. As with Caoimhe, some say Quee-va & others say Kee-va.

In the county I'm from, we say A-veen, F-yun & Quee-va :D

No, you see here's the thing with that name - people have come up with all manner of pronunciations which have very little to do with Irish spelling. The Fionn and Caoimhe examples you use are to do with how the vowels are sounded in Donegal Irish and in the rest of the country and are standard across the country, depending on where the parents are from.

The myriad pronunciations of Aoibheann are not all regional. The 'eann' sound at the end is an 'en' or 'un' sound, the emphasis should be on the first syllable, regardless of how that first syllable is pronounced.

No, you see here's the thing with that name - people have come up with all manner of pronunciations which have very little to do with Irish spelling. The Fionn and Caoimhe examples you use are to do with how the vowels are sounded in Donegal Irish and in the rest of the country and are standard across the country, depending on where the parents are from.

The myriad pronunciations of Aoibheann are not all regional. The 'eann' sound at the end is an 'en' or 'un' sound, the emphasis should be on the first syllable, regardless of how that first syllable is pronounced.

Aoibheann is also a regular Irish word (that I'd use quite often :) ) so when I find someone with the name but pronouncing it Yvonne or ee-veen my tongue just goes, "noep".

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Aoibheann is also a regular Irish word (that I'd use quite often :) ) so when I find someone with the name but pronouncing it Yvonne or ee-veen my tongue just goes, "noep".

LOL

My Dad is a fluent Welsh speaker and he was like that with a friend of mine when I was younger. Her name was Sian which she pronounced Sigh-Ann instead if the correct pronunciation which is Shan. He just couldn't bring himself to say it.

We looked at some Welsh names for our little one but didn't come up with anything in the end - loads of girls ones but no boys ones. We liked Celyn which is the Welsh word for holly (the plant) and apparently a boys name but I asked my Dad and he had never heard of it used as anything but the word for holly it just goes to show how dubious those naming sites are sometimes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Aoibheann is also a regular Irish word (that I'd use quite often :) ) so when I find someone with the name but pronouncing it Yvonne or ee-veen my tongue just goes, "noep". LOL

I think when it comes to names phonetic technicalities aren't really applicable and poetic licence prevails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

What do people think of Arya for a girl? I really like it and baby will be 1/4 Indian. My other daughter already has an Indian name (the boys have Irish names). But I'm also a massive Game of Thrones fan. Do you think people will hear it and think GoT name straight away? And if they do does that matter?

For a boys name I would really like to call him after a good friend who will be two years passed on when the baby's due. Is this ok, do ye think? I mean it might be weird for his mam, or other friends? I think it would be nice as he will never get to have a family of his own. He did have a very tragic life though, do ye think it would be bringing bad luck on the child?

Advertisement