Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't think of GoT but I do think of the strong similarity to the word Aryan, as in, the Aryan Race. I don't think it looks very pretty written down and the fact that its one letter short of the word Aryan would be enough to put me off that spelling.

I adore the sound though, so I would spell it Aria. Aria is beautiful, but I don't like Arya at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I don't think of GoT but I do think of the strong similarity to the word Aryan, as in, the Aryan Race. I don't think it looks very pretty written down and the fact that its one letter short of the word Aryan would be enough to put me off that spelling.

I adore the sound though, so I would spell it Aria. Aria is beautiful, but I don't like Arya at all.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. It made me think of Aryan and neo nazis :o sorry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Now as it is different, it might sound a little silly but... I think Pigeon is a lovely little name, for a boy/girl. It's rare you hear a child called after an animal but apparently it's the new thing with some celebs. Even just the idea of calling my little one Pidgey 'til he/she is older makes me smile :) It's so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Pigeon just reminds me of Fawlty Towers, when Manuel couldn't say it. It's not a very pretty word either...

With regards to Arya, I was going to say something very similar to above. It does make me think of GoT, which is pretty cool, but then when I see it written down it actually doesn't make me think of Aryan, but it makes me think of some really rural Irish person (think I'm hearing my Dad say it lol) saying "Arra yeah". So I would spell it Aria, and pronounce it the same. There's a hotel in Vegas called Aria, I always go to pronounce it the same as Arya but I think others pronounce it as A-rye-a, not sure which is correct/more common.

Pigeon just reminds me of Fawlty Towers, when Manuel couldn't say it. It's not a very pretty word either...

With regards to Arya, I was going to say something very similar to above. It does make me think of GoT, which is pretty cool, but then when I see it written down it actually doesn't make me think of Aryan, but it makes me think of some really rural Irish person (think I'm hearing my Dad say it lol) saying "Arra yeah". So I would spell it Aria, and pronounce it the same. There's a hotel in Vegas called Aria, I always go to pronounce it the same as Arya but I think others pronounce it as A-rye-a, not sure which is correct/more common.

Seosamh is a lovely name.

• Advertisement

audman wrote: »
    Seosamh is a lovely name.

Ha I don't like it but it was just a random choice based on what I could see around me when I was registering :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Now as it is different, it might sound a little silly but... I think Pigeon is a lovely little name, for a boy/girl. It's rare you hear a child called after an animal but apparently it's the new thing with some celebs. Even just the idea of calling my little one Pidgey 'til he/she is older makes me smile :) It's so cute!

A new celebrity fad is surely something to avoid like the plague? And it's not cute, it sounds ridiculous. "Pigeon Murphy" -the poor child would be teased mercilessly

Ha I don't like it but it was just a random choice based on what I could see around me when I was registering :)

Lies.

Ciarabear wrote: »
    A new celebrity fad is surely something to avoid like the plague? And it's not cute, it sounds ridiculous. "Pigeon Murphy" -the poor child would be teased mercilessly

Hard to compete with Ciarabear in terms of being cute ;) Look when my child is of a similar name to a future celebrity I'll be seen as one probably of the first in Ireland to do so and I'm happy out with that :) My child won't stand for teasing let me tell you, based on a name especially. You sound like Katie Hopkins...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=edZjdgU0asM

Lies.

Excuse me? How can you be making a baby name thread get b!tchy, just because people are voicing opinions on a name you suggested!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A cousin of mine was nick named Pigeon when she was younger... poor girl.

Dr. Pixie McKenna is about the only person who isn't a model/random celebrity who pulls off a silly name. It's her nickname from when she was small, I love that she's Dr. Pixie, must've been tough to be taken seriously at first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pigeon isn't a bird I associate with cuteness. They are a bit pudgy, and my dad calls them rats of the skies. I know a child called sparrow, and another called eagle. And robin is lovely.

But pigeon? They are grey and fat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Sparrow is cute. Doesn't Nicole Richie have a child named Sparrow? Not sure if it's a boy or a girl's name though.

As another poster said, I do think of rats when I see pigeons. They're not particularly cute or nice.

I'm loving the name Archie at the moment.

Excuse me? How can you be making a baby name thread get b!tchy, just because people are voicing opinions on a name you suggested!

Arah stop I was only having a laugh with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    What do people think of Arya for a girl? I really like it and baby will be 1/4 Indian. My other daughter already has an Indian name (the boys have Irish names). But I'm also a massive Game of Thrones fan. Do you think people will hear it and think GoT name straight away? And if they do does that matter?

Massive GoT fan, and suggest Daenerys for a girl myself and it was shot down faster than I liked we're genuinely considering Theon for a boy too /nerd ;)

I like Arya, we discussed this, but it's quickly becoming VERY popular and will always remind me of GoT but also Eragon, the princess in that was Arya too!

Also GoT's is a fading trend so I wouldnt worry about people thinking of that straight off the bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Massive GoT fan, and suggest Daenerys for a girl myself and it was shot down faster than I liked we're genuinely considering Theon for a boy too /nerd ;)

I like Arya, we discussed this, but it's quickly becoming VERY popular and will always remind me of GoT but also Eragon, the princess in that was Arya too!

Also GoT's is a fading trend so I wouldnt worry about people thinking of that straight off the bat

My OH liked Daenarys but we want to pick names that reflect our children's heritage so it's either Irish or Indian.

It's strange what names are popular at different times. We had three Jennifer's, and a rake of Alan's, not to mention the ubiquitous JP's in my class growing up. There are two Saul's and three Lily's in my daughter's class. Maia and Stella are really popular too. I haven't heard too many Arya/Aria's yet, but it's one of the more accessible names from the story who's actually a good character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

What do people think of Arya for a girl? I really like it and baby will be 1/4 Indian. My other daughter already has an Indian name (the boys have Irish names). But I'm also a massive Game of Thrones fan. Do you think people will hear it and think GoT name straight away? And if they do does that matter?

For a boys name I would really like to call him after a good friend who will be two years passed on when the baby's due. Is this ok, do ye think? I mean it might be weird for his mam, or other friends? I think it would be nice as he will never get to have a family of his own. He did have a very tragic life though, do ye think it would be bringing bad luck on the child?

If the baby is 1/4 Indian, would you consider 'India' as a girl's name or is that too obvious? I love the name, but himself was having none of it. I wouldn't worry too much about GoT as I'd imagine in ten years' time, nobody will make that association.

It's a nice way to honour your friend, but if it's an unusual name, I think it would be respectful to speak with his mother about it. You could also use the name as a second name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Please don't do it! There's some bad names on this thread, but Pigeon is the worst!

I was reading on Business Insider's website that Arya is the fastest growing baby name for a girl in the US this year.

So if you did name your baby Arya, chances are there could be quite a few Aryas of the same age in a few years.

Personally, I prefer the spelling Aria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

If the baby is 1/4 Indian, would you consider 'India' as a girl's name or is that too obvious? I love the name, but himself was having none of it. I wouldn't worry too much about GoT as I'd imagine in ten years' time, nobody will make that association.

It's a nice way to honour your friend, but if it's an unusual name, I think it would be respectful to speak with his mother about it. You could also use the name as a second name.

I wanted to be called India as a child! I like it but it has colonial connotations and we have a self imposed rule of no Sasanach names in our family. I definitely would change the spelling to Aria. I don't mind the oblique GoT reference as long as people don't hear it and immediately go 'what were they thinking'.

My friend who's passed was called Ronan which is a fairly common Irish name. I might drop his mam a line anyhow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 haveyoumetted?

My partner and I are finding it hard to think of a boys name while on the other hand we have loads of girl names in mind. So far we are leaning more towards:

Boy: Evan, Daniel
    Girl: Hailey, Robin

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My partner and I are finding it hard to think of a boys name while on the other hand we have loads of girl names in mind. So far we are leaning more towards:

What do you guys think?

All very normal names. Though you don't hear of as many Evans as Daniel's, both are nice. I really like Hailey and Robin is sweet. Both not very common from what I have personally encountered. All I would say is when I hear Robin I envisage a little brunette girl with long straight hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

What do you guys think?

I really like Evan and Daniel.
    Hailey or Robin are nice but wouldn't be my choice. It would be boring if we all liked the same names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What do people think of Arya for a girl?

My friend named her daughter Aryaa recently. Thought it was a beautiful name but I'd agree with poster just keeping it simply Aria.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

We went for Aoibhín Rose in the end. Born on Sunday evening at home as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

lang wrote: »

Beautiful! Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 haveyoumetted?

All very normal names. Though you don't hear of as many Evans as Daniel's, both are nice. I really like Hailey and Robin is sweet. Both not very common from what I have personally encountered. All I would say is when I hear Robin I envisage a little brunette girl with long straight hair.

That is something that I like tbh. My partner and I are not ones for fancy/ celebrity names. Simple and sweet is what were going for :) And like Xdancer said:
    It would be boring if we all liked the same names

Very cute! Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Gorgeous name. Glad you got your home birth. Congratulations to all.

Advertisement