Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Iv a baby boy called Jack. I think this time it's gonna be a girl though and I was thinkin Lucy and if it was a boy I like heath and Noah but god knows what hubby will want

We wanted a different name all the way through with DS and when he was born we wanted Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Iv a baby boy called Jack. I think this time it's gonna be a girl though and I was thinkin Lucy and if it was a boy I like heath and Noah but god knows what hubby will want

We wanted a different name all the way through with DS and when he was born we wanted Jack

Aw Jack and Lucy go really well together, very cute! I love the name Noah it's on my boys name list with Oisin, fionn and Oran. Dd has an Irish name so we are thinking Irish name again this time. I'm finding it so hard to pick girls names again, we had only picked dd's name the night before she was born!

Yeah but I think last minute names work the best
    I'm waiting until nearer the end to fully pick names
    But Jack and Lucy work.. just not sure what way I'll go with boys names this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

We are getting close to d day now, my wife actually had a sweep on Thursday morning but doesn't seem to have had any effect as of yet but baby 2 should be there within 10 days at the latest.

We are just after comparing our name lists, crossing off non runners and have it narrowed down to Rhys or Riley for a boy and Saoirse or Sienna for a girl.

What do ye think? (what seems like an easy enough task is unbelievably hard!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

We are getting close to d day now, my wife actually had a sweep on Thursday morning but doesn't seem to have had any effect as of yet but baby 2 should be there within 10 days at the latest.

We are just after comparing our name lists, crossing off non runners and have it narrowed down to Rhys or Riley for a boy and Saoirse or Sienna for a girl.

Of those 4 names Riley and Sienna would be my favorites

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hope it all goes well!!:)

I'm liking Rhys and Saoirse from your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks guys. Names have split opinion right down the middle so far ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Thanks guys. Names have split opinion right down the middle so far ha!!

:D Just noticed that!!

Tough choice for you guys!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Saoirse for a girl... but I'm biased cos I have a Saoirse and she's amazing...

Rhys for a boy... don't like Riley at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Yeah but I think last minute names work the best
    I'm waiting until nearer the end to fully pick names
    But Jack and Lucy work.. just not sure what way I'll go with boys names this time

It will probably be a last minute name here I'll change my mind so many names between now and December...lots of time left to decide :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I really liked Saoirse but it has gotten very popular and has something of a D4 connotation since the Ross O'Carroll Kelly character. It's still a lovely name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I really liked Saoirse but it has gotten very popular and has something of a D4 connotation since the Ross O'Carroll Kelly character. It's still a lovely name though.

I am about 99% sure that's sorcha not saoirse though.

I like saoirse too, but like January, I am biased ;)

I like Riley more than Rhys too but my sister has a dog called Riley so I think of him when I hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am about 99% sure that's sorcha not saoirse though.

I like saoirse too, but like January, I am biased ;)

I like Riley more than Rhys too but my sister has a dog called Riley so I think of him when I hear it.

It is Sorcha... but I think the elite try to pronounce Sorcha as "soresha"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Oops my bad. Saoirse is much nicer than Sorcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I wouldn't be too gone on Riley - sounds too American for me. Rhys is lovely though. With the girls' names, they're both gorgeous names, I would probably lean towards the Irish one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

ROCK is Sorcha, pronounced Soer-ka (ref. The last few days of the celtic tiger and various interviews by Paul Howard :P )

Sienna is beautiful, I'm not into your boys names personally but that's only because my sisters dog is Riley and that spelling of Rhys always struck me as odd :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sienna is beautiful, I'm not into your boys names personally but that's only because my sisters dog is Riley and that spelling of Rhys always struck me as odd :O

It's Welsh, a lot of their spellings are odd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Would a Victoria inevitably be nicknamed Vicky? My OH mentioned earlier that he really likes it, especially because we could call her Tori for short. But I hate Vicky, I think it sounds common amongst other things (no offence to mams of Vicky's).

Any thoughts? Also, what to do ye think of Victoria?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

If you like 'Tori' why not just call her that instead of giving her a name you're not going to call her? :confused:

I hate the name Victoria but Tori is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think Tori is a bit incomplete, in the same way I'd use Thomas rather than Tom or Oliver instead of Ollie. That's my only issue with it, really. I think Tori is a bit babyish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

I really like Victoria .. I was only thinking of it recently... a girl in work is called that and her family call her Toria which I think is a nice abbreviation of it. I dislike Vicky tho... you can make sure people don't call her that tho :-)

I am due in 10 weeks... it's taken ages form me and OH to agree on any names... have decided to go with an Irish one tho,

for a girl - Caoimhe, Clodagh or Muireann

for a boy - Fionn is the only one we agree on so far... considering Caoimhín... I really like it but amn't sure... does anyone think it would be old fashioned or have any thoughts about it?

We live abroad and are aware of the trouoble with mispronouncing Irish names but have always wanted use Irish names so am hoping it wont be too much hassle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Caoimhin and Caoimhe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

chuckster wrote: »
    for a girl - Caoimhe, Clodagh or Muireann

I love Clodagh, that is the name I wanted for a girl, but the OH hated it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I love Clodagh, that is the name I wanted for a girl, but the OH hated it :(

Its a name that is a little dated now but could be right back in fashion in 15 years. Declan or Colm would be similar for boy I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

Ben :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

Rory :)

Rory for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

+1 for Rory.
    My brother's name :)

• Advertisement

Interesting Baby names fact: Liam is a more popular name in Belgium than it is in Ireland.

Its interesting (to me) that a lot of Irish boys names have become very popular overseas, and yet are out of fashion here.

For example, Liam is 3rd most popular name in Canada and 6th in the US. Its only 14th in Ireland. Aidan is the 10th most popular boys name in the USA. Its not in the Top 50 in Ireland, indeed Aiden is less popular here than Jayden.

I'm looking at a lot of lists!!!

Advertisement