Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Rory or Ruairi is a lovely name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

My fave is Rory
    Second is Ben
    Fergal would not be for me

Best of luck

Edit from your other post Aiden is a gorgeous name and not as popular as Ben or maybe Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Definitely Rory.

Something odd about the name Fergal. It wouldn't be to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ive always liked Liam,

As for Rory or Fergal id go Fergal all the way. Theres very few commonish names I dislike more then Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Is Hugo a bit too out there? I really like it, it matches the surname well but I'm worried it might sound a bit like a cats name!! I also love Theo, but my nephew is Leo so a bit on the close side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love Hugo and Theo and Leo!! Lovely names.

I think Hugo is perfectly fine to use. It's a fab name.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I know someone who has a Hugo. He's nearly 3 now. Cute name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

I like Rory most, though personally I would go for the Irish version Ruairí.
    Its a name that is a little dated now but could be right back in fashion in 15 years. Declan or Colm would be similar for boy I think....

But I like slightly dated, it means it is known, but not every second child will have it :D He didn't like it because it is the name of a river in Tipperary. Declan and Colm are nice too. Easy to say and spell and easily could become popular again.
    Interesting Baby names fact: Liam is a more popular name in Belgium than it is in Ireland.

Its interesting (to me) that a lot of Irish boys names have become very popular overseas, and yet are out of fashion here.

For example, Liam is 3rd most popular name in Canada and 6th in the US. Its only 14th in Ireland. Aidan is the 10th most popular boys name in the USA. Its not in the Top 50 in Ireland, indeed Aiden is less popular here than Jayden.

I'm looking at a lot of lists!!!
    I was sure in my head that Liam was an abbreviation of William. Aidan is hugely popular in America, often misspelt as Aiden, but I have seen it (on 16 and Pregnant I may add so not a great source) spelt Ayden, odd to me, but to each their own. It's weird, it seems the Americans want our names, and we want theirs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Liam is also an irish name in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Lisha wrote: »
    My fave is Rory
    Second is Ben
    Fergal would not be for me

Best of luck

Edit from your other post Aiden is a gorgeous name and not as popular as Ben or maybe Rory

I'd actually go for Aiden myself of all those, but OH doesn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd actually go for Aiden myself of all those, but OH doesn't like it.

I much prefer the spelling Aidan.

I love Aodhán but it can not go with out surname as it would be a Brian O'Brien type situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Aodhán but it can not go with out surname as it would be a Brian O'Brien type situation.

I used to work with a Brian O'Brien! He spent half his days explaining to people that no...he wasn't kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Digs wrote: »
    I used to work with a Brian O'Brien! He spent half his days explaining to people that no...he wasn't kidding.

I know a Brendan Brennan... poor unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

January wrote: »
    I know a Brendan Brennan... poor unfortunate.

That's just lazy parenting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Moonbeam wrote: »

One of the names that I like is Cathal, but for us that means Cathal Cahill and that is just too close for comfort, people would actually be taking the píss out of my OH for allowing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I went to school with a Brian Ryan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I knew a Gerald Fitz Gerald, what were they thinking??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I once knew a John Johnson. That's just cruelty!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Donagh McDonagh. (There's also a 'Donagh' in his home address)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've just noticed that all of the last few names are actually *first name* son of *first name*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've just noticed that all of the last few names are actually *first name* son of *first name*

:D

Donagh's Da isn't called Donagh though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I also know a Gerald FitzGerald but the best was was a lady called Sally Salley. She was such a dote

I also know a Gerald FitzGerald but the best was was a lady called Sally Salley. She was such a dote

Like, WHY would you do that to your child??

Well in fairness to Sally, she married a Salley and became Sally Salley rather than having that name from the start. It really suited her, she is well in her 80's now and a dote.

Well in fairness to Sally, she married a Salley and became Sally Salley rather than having that name from the start. It really suited her, she is well in her 80's now and a dote.

Ah, that's not as bad. Didn't Lauren Bush marry someone Lauren? So she could be Lauren Lauren now but I've seen her use Lauren Bush Lauren, as if that's better. I don't understand how people can give children a name so similar to their surname, or the same in some cases. There are so many names out there, why would you pick something like Brian O'Brien.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Gary Neville's dad? Neville Neville :D

I also know a Dave Davis...

I know one with the same first and last name but I can't write it as it's too distinctive. There are 14 letters in the name, so 28 in total, it's a mouthful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know names are everybody's own preference... but my uncle's girlfriend posted today that one of her friends named their baby "Jaxson"... :\

Advertisement