Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

January wrote: »
    I know names are everybody's own preference... but my uncle's girlfriend posted today that one of her friends named their baby "Jaxson"... :\

Ah no, not even Jackson but Jaxson... sorry but that's terrible

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I know names are everybody's own preference... but my uncle's girlfriend posted today that one of her friends named their baby "Jaxson"... :\

Please tell me that that was a typo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please tell me that that was a typo...

I wish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

for a girl - Farrah, georgina, jessica and hazels nice too....

for a boy - James finn - shorten it to jimmy finn :D also love jessie james and jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Actually spotted in the paper today a Tracey Lacey!! Lacey being her married name...l kinda like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

David Bowie's daughter, Zoe, had her name changed by deed poll...Zowie Bowie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    David Bowie's daughter, Zoe, had her name changed by deed poll...Zowie Bowie :(

Wasn't Zowie Bowie his son and called that from birth? Pretty sure he's a director now and has changed his name to something fairly normal.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Wasn't Zowie Bowie his son and called that from birth? Pretty sure he's a director now and has changed his name to something fairly normal.

Just looked it up - officially his name always was Duncan Zowie Jones!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, Duncan Jones. He directed Moon, which is absolutely fantastic!

Sure, George Foreman called all of his five sons George and one of his daughters is Georgetta. :D

I'm feeling more confident about our (super-sekrit) name choice now. Maybe it's just because I've been too lazy to come up with an alternate. So either he's going to be instantly named or he's going to be one of those awful* unnamed for three weeks children. :P

*I don't think this is awful myself, but that's what my mother always says and it gets me grinning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Aodhán but it can not go with out surname as it would be a Brian O'Brien type situation.

I'm having serious second thoughts about using Irish spellings that people who dont speak Irish can not pronounce. I think to be fair to the child, do you want them to spend their lives explaining what the pronunciation is. Like if the kids name is Eva.......lets spell it Aoibhe instead, because its 'Irish'......its an English (or Spanish!) name spelt an Irish way, why not just spell it the way people understand and make it easy on the kid.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'm having serious second thoughts about using Irish spellings that people who dont speak Irish can not pronounce. I think to be fair to the child, do you want them to spend their lives explaining what the pronunciation is. Like if the kids name is Eva.......lets spell it Aoibhe instead, because its 'Irish'......its an English (or Spanish!) name spelt an Irish way, why not just spell it the way people understand and make it easy on the kid.

I've said this before but if you make a child proud of their name they will never care about spelling their name. Having a hard to pronounce Irish name (both in Ireland and abroad) has never bothered me because I actually enjoy explaining it to people and it often becomes a talking point. Every country has names that are difficult for others so even the most simple names can be impossible in other countries. My mum was an Ita and noone could pronounce it when we lived abroad.

I do take your point about "Irishing up" non-Irish names but if you prefer that spelling I see no reason why not to use it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I don't like made up irish spellings but I am all for irish names spelt and pronounced correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Some people like the Irish names. I don't.

Niamh, Una, Siobhan, Mairead etc
    Eoin, Sean, Liam, etc

I think they are awful.
    No imagination and they usually get mangled at home and abroad.

I'm thinking of Niamh (Nee-ov) being pronounced NEEV.

Everyone to their own I suppose and wouldn't the world be awful if we were all the same etc.

Eoin, Sean, Liam, etc

I think they are awful.

Everyone to their own I suppose and wouldn't the world be awful if we were all the same etc.

My name is Niamh and I hate hate hate being called Nee-Ov. Everyone calls me Neeve and on the rare occasion somebody pronounced it nee-ov, I correct them.

I lived overseas for years and didn't mind having what was considered an unusual name. As someone said it was a talking point, spelling it out etc

My name is Niamh and I hate hate hate being called Nee-Ov. Everyone calls me Neeve and on the rare occasion somebody pronounced it nee-ov, I correct them.

I lived overseas for years and didn't mind having what was considered an unusual name. As someone said it was a talking point, spelling it out etc

Of course you can pronounce your own name any way you like.

But I do believe the correct pronounciation of the gaelic name Niamh is Nee-ov.

Adjudicator required from gaeltacht area please :D

It depends on what dialect you use. Áine and Cathal and a lot of others are other names that have different pronunciations based on dialect.

I'd say Neeve personally

I've heard NEEV on Fair City. (Dublin pronounciation?)

In Cork/southern counties I've heard Nee-ov.

Maybe both are right?

How differently could Aine (OY-NYA) or Cathal be pronounced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I love Ruben and Brian for boys, Amy and Natalie for girls!

I've heard NEEV on Fair City. (Dublin pronounciation?)

In Cork/southern counties I've heard Nee-ov.

Maybe both are right?

How differently could Aine (OY-NYA) or Cathal be pronounced?

Awn-ya or Enya (like the singer - her name is Áine but is from Gweedore in Donegal where they pronounce it Enya).

Here's an example of differing over Cathal
    Ka-hal and Caw-hal would be the most common imo.

This also brings us back to the fact that naming a child an "easy" name doesn't guarantee that it'll be pronounced properly.

• Advertisement

Awn-ya or Enya (like the singer - her name is Áine but is from Gweedore in Donegal where they pronounce it Enya).

Here's an example of differing over Cathal
    Ka-hal and Caw-hal would be the most common imo.

I can't understand the Donegal lingo at all :D

I can't understand the Donegal lingo at all :D

I have the benefit of a lot of Donegal heritage (my mother is 3/4 Donegal) and I still struggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Eoin, Sean, Liam, etc

I think they are awful.

I thought I was the only one who disliked Irish names, glad to know I'm not alone :O

Think if I were to go again I'd have Blake or Cameron for a boy.
    Can only think of Summer for a girl but I think that's because I've always found it hard to picture myself with a girl, I don't know why.

Just realised my name choices are v.American, maybe I watch too much American TV :-D

Of course I can pronounce my own name whatever way I want. My point is that rarely do I hear people call me Nee-ov, most people, on meeting me would say Neeve which you think is "mangled".

If a huge number of people (I.e not just one person trying to be different) pronounce it that way is it still wrong or just a version of the name?

Of course I can pronounce my own name whatever way I want. My point is that rarely do I hear people call me Nee-ov, most people, on meeting me would say Neeve which you think is "mangled".

If a huge number of people (I.e not just one person trying to be different) pronounce it that way is it still wrong or just a version of the name?

What part of the country are you from Niamh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I LOVE the name Niamh pronounced Neeve, if we ever have another girl Niamh she shall be.

Give me an Irish name over some of the modern names any day of the week. Jaxson for example....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

William is definitely our favourite name at the moment. I'm just worried that he'll get teased for being "Willie" ... maybe not everyone's as immature as me, though. :o. Do kids even use that word anymore?!

I also like Julian, but everyone seems to think it's a bit girly.

Others in the running are James, Aidan, Daniel, Conor, Adam.

Digs wrote: »
    I LOVE the name Niamh pronounced Neeve, if we ever have another girl Niamh she shall be.

Give me an Irish name over some of the modern names any day of the week. Jaxson for example....

I'm not a fan of Jaxson myself either.
    Jack is near the top of the charts every year though.

What part of the country are you from Niamh?

Dublin - but in my experience the rare people who do say Nee-ov seem to come from all over the place. Not that I've been keeping track though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tlachtga wrote: »
    William is definitely our favourite name at the moment. I'm just worried that he'll get teased for being "Willie" ... maybe not everyone's as immature as me, though. :o. Do kids even use that word anymore?!

I also like Julian, but everyone seems to think it's a bit girly.

Others in the running are James, Aidan, Daniel, Conor, Adam.

My brother is William. He calls himself Willy. No one makes fun of him or ever has. I have to say I sorta didn't like that he called himself that and called him Will mostly.

Advertisement