Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'm having serious second thoughts about using Irish spellings that people who dont speak Irish can not pronounce. I think to be fair to the child, do you want them to spend their lives explaining what the pronunciation is. Like if the kids name is Eva.......lets spell it Aoibhe instead, because its 'Irish'......its an English (or Spanish!) name spelt an Irish way, why not just spell it the way people understand and make it easy on the kid.

I really don't get the logic of "others won't know how to pronounce/spell it" There are thousands of languages and 195 recognised states on this planet and I have yet to hear a person from another culture/country state they would not choose a name solely to appease us Irish and the complexity of us having to learn to say it. I have neighbours with names I asked them 4 times to teach me to pronounce, my son plays with kids that have traditional names from other parts of the worlds that I have to google the spelling of for birthday cards and that is great. My Polish friend asked once how to pronounce my daughter's Irish name and has spelt and said it correctly ever since. I love the variety of different names. If we all thought of the feelings of others we'd all be called one of a list of only 10 names. Variety, the spice of life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

How do you decide on middle names, are you picking something that's personal like a grandparents name or just something that sounds nice?

My mother never had a middle name and 65 years of age she still hates it, she said she always felt hard done by...

just want to know what people consider when picking a middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My son was first his first name we loved and his middle name is his dads name.
    Coincidently those two names were the names of my 2 grandfathers so all happy.

My daughters name was picked by my husband as he hated my choices and I wanted a name before we told people she had arrived . If fulfilled my criteria of being Irish but not too overused. Her middle name is the English version of my own name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

How do you decide on middle names, are you picking something that's personal like a grandparents name or just something that sounds nice?

My mother never had a middle name and 65 years of age she still hates it, she said she always felt hard done by...

I never had a middle name. Four siblings and I'm the odd one out! I always felt hard done by too.

I was really close to my granny so took her middle name for my confirmation name and in turn gave it to my daughter for her middle name. Personally I think middle names should "mean" something but anything seems to be the norm nowadays.

Well we named our son after his grandfather and for his middle names we chose from two of our favourite historical figures, Pearse and Connolly.

For our daughter's middle name we chose Margaret, it is on both sides of the family for every generation we have record of (7 generations on one side) we have to keep it alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son is named after both his grandfathers. My Dad's name is the nicer of the 2 so we used that as his first name & my OH's Dad's name as the middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

One of my brothers and I have two middle names. I was named after both of my grandmothers and he was named after my two grandparents.

My youngest brother only got one which was John.

I think myself I will give my children just one middle name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We each have two middle names in my family. One Irish and one in the language of the country that we grew up in. I'm not sure if there was any reason behind the names themselves but they were chosen to represent or heritage and where we born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

If we've a boy the middle name will be himself's late fathers name, if we've a girl it'll be a feminine version of my late husbands (I was widowed 3 and a half yrs ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    For our daughter's middle name we chose Margaret, it is on both sides of the family for every generation we have record of (7 generations on one side) we have to keep it alive.

We did this too - the wee fella got James as there are Jameses on both sides. The duchess got Clare as her middle name, where my dad is from.

If I go again, I'd pick a traditional name that was in our families again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We had planned on Ann as middle name. OH's granny and my mum's name so was perfect but my nan passed a few days before our LO was born and I went in to labour the night she was buried it seemed right to give her my nans name as her middle name. It was the one and only time I seen my dad cry. Holding my LO in the hospital when we told him. Just thinking about this now brings a tear to my eye.

I think with middle names for me anyway it has to mean something.
    We were all named after our godparents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Personally my policy is to go with whichever name we simply like, enjoy and feels right for the baby's Christian name and something sentimental and meaningful for the middle name

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

We didn't give our daughter a middle name. She has 2 surnames so we thought 1 name was enough.
    If we had given her one, it would have been my Mom's name as it goes beautifully with our daughter's name. I think it's nice to use it as an opportunity to name the baby after someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Awn-ya or Enya (like the singer - her name is Áine but is from Gweedore in Donegal where they pronounce it Enya).

Her first name is Eithne

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Her first name is Eithne

I'd always been told Áine so my bad. Áine is still pronounced that way though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our kids got their godparents names as their middle names.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Our kids got their godparents names as their middle names.

I would have never thought of that. That is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Pang wrote: »
    I love Hugo and Theo and Leo!! Lovely names.

I love the name Theo but when I say it out loud I find myself forcing the 'Th'. You know like how some people pronounce 'that' as 'dat' and so on. With my family a gorgeous name like Theo would be pronounced 'Tee-o'

Ah, that's not as bad. Didn't Lauren Bush marry someone Lauren? So she could be Lauren Lauren now but I've seen her use Lauren Bush Lauren, as if that's better. I don't understand how people can give children a name so similar to their surname, or the same in some cases. There are so many names out there, why would you pick something like Brian O'Brien.

Lol there's a really sweet old lady I know called ..... Sadie O'Grady! :D

We're the exact same, th's were a no no for us from the beginning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Similarly, that's why I'd rather avoid names with R or S in them ... just in case the kid had a speech impediment and couldn't pronounce their own name! :o

Like Jonathan Ross!!! :P My nephew's name begins with R and bless his socks he has such difficulty pronouncing until recently although he was cute as a button saying his name "wooooooben"

Like Jonathan Ross!!! :P My nephew's name begins with R and bless his socks he has such difficulty pronouncing until recently although he was cute as a button saying his name "wooooooben"

Awww! I've got a 2 year old cousin called Oran & he calls himself Ooooooooo-rawn! Reminded my of that movie 'Wall-e' lol

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Similarly, that's why I'd rather avoid names with R or S in them ... just in case the kid had a speech impediment and couldn't pronounce their own name! :o

My husband has a slight 's' speech issue .
    So all s names were off the table . Obviously all the names I liked had an 's' in them

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I chose my partners middle name for our son and my uncle passed away the year he was born so i put that in too, so he has two middle names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Help me folks

Rory, Fergal or Ben

Definitely Ben :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For a girl......any thoughts on Rosie or Orla?

Both lovely names :)

A girl i know called her daughter Roisin.
    (Fada on second I ) I yhink it's lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I really like Orla actually, it's pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I love the name Rosie. It's sweet and girly :)

Advertisement