Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We found out we are having a boy, and just our luck we only have one name we like on that list - Eli

The whole family think its a bit foreign and weird. What does the wise old internet think?

We are trying to find an Irish name we like but Ive only liked Irish girl names so far. We also liked Daniel, but its top 3 apparently! Couldn't do that to my kid as every other girl growing up had my name and i hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Love Eli it's nice and different. People will always have an opinion on the name just go with what you like. If you wait to tell them when the baby is born they won't comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am totally in love with the name Eli. So simple, yet something (I think) quite masculine about it.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I am totally in love with the name Eli. So simple, yet something (I think) quite masculine about it.

Yeah we feel its a really strong name. We live in Israel at the moment, and I ran a few names past my hairdresser (:D) and he LOVED Eli, it means high or elevated. said it was a really strong proud name. They are really more into the meaning of the names here, rather than sound and I think its rubbed off on us a bit.

Love Eli it's nice and different. People will always have an opinion on the name just go with what you like. If you wait to tell them when the baby is born they won't comment.

LOL - I wish i could believe they wouldnt comment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I love Rosie. It's so cute.

Also love Eli. Great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

We found out we are having a boy, and just our luck we only have one name we like on that list - Eli

I would have thought it as a girls name or is it pronounced differently to ellie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I would have thought it as a girls name or is it pronounced differently to ellie?

It's pronounced "Eel-eye".

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

Love Eli, my nephew was very nearly Eli, but his parents went for Elijah in the end, which we also love...

as for people not commenting? bahahaha, my son is Dorian, I've gotten "like yer man in scrubs?" "You do know thats a surname" and my favourite comment "Well it's not as bad as north, but he won't thank you"

luckily peoples opinions mean sweet fa after you name the kiddo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Love Eli, my nephew was very nearly Eli, but his parents went for Elijah in the end, which we also love...

as for people not commenting? bahahaha, my son is Dorian, I've gotten "like yer man in scrubs?" "You do know thats a surname" and my favourite comment "Well it's not as bad as north, but he won't thank you"

luckily peoples opinions mean sweet fa after you name the kiddo!

That says more about them than it does about you tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

What do people think of the name Sebastian? When we mentioned it to MIL she kinda said... "you must be joking!". But we like it. Do ye think it sounds pretentious at all? I dont know why I like it.... Just like the sound of it. We also like the name Jamie which is probably our first choice at the moment.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    What do people think of the name Sebastian? When we mentioned it to MIL she kinda said... "you must be joking!". But we like it. Do ye think it sounds pretentious at all? I dont know why I like it.... Just like the sound of it. We also like the name Jamie which is probably our first choice at the moment.

I like Sebastian, I like it shortened to Seb, would depend on the surname I guess. I love Jamie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yea I don't mind Seb either... I think a lot of people prefer if their kids names aren't shortened... But I think Seb is ok. Decisions decisions....lol. Might even have a girl yet! Lol

yeah we had Elijah on the list too, but we figured we'd end up just shortening it anyway to Eli, so whats the point? usually Id be in favour of the longer name on the birth cert etc, but Eli and Elijah are two completely seperate names ( kinda like calling your child Suzanne and then shortening it to Anne - really makes no sense) and we may be back and forth to Israel a lot and we have Israeli friends and theyd just think we were weird/crazy! :D

I dated a guy called Sebastian in school years ago, everyone called him Seb, I kinda find the name, short or long, hard to say for some reason. Doesnt roll off my tongue but that could just be me tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I really like sebastian!

I'm on a mega old fashioned kick at the moment with names... Been standing around in graveyards a bit the last month or so.

Loving ignatius (baby iggy!), albert and dominic for boys.
    Maude, ita, Agnus, edith and ida for girls.

Don't think they'll meet too many people with those names. Might have to stick them in as a middle name though, husband doesn't like any of them. Boo.

Albert was my grandfather's name and my uncle is also Albert, always called Albie. To me it was the definition of a country culchie name because of this but recently there was a hot American guy on tv called Albie and all of a sudden it's a really cute endearing name in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My partners middle name is Alphonsus (after his grand father) I think it's cute but he hates it.

January wrote: »
    My partners middle name is Alphonsus (after his grand father) I think it's cute but he hates it.

Interesting. Never heard of the name before! Just looked it up and its Irish! Doesnt sound that way to me (although i may be pronouncing it wrong in my head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

January wrote: »

I really love that name. It's in our family as well.

So many cute short versions too...
    Alfie or The Fonz!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Albert was my grandfather's name and my uncle is also Albert, always called Albie. To me it was the definition of a country culchie name because of this but recently there was a hot American guy on tv called Albie and all of a sudden it's a really cute endearing name in my head!

My Dad's name is Albert....always Albert and never shortened, he hates it if anyone does.
    I quite like the name :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My dad's is Arthur, he'd love for us to call the baby that! Maybe as a middle name ...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Ive just realised that I have 4 weeks to decide on the name my child will be stuck with forever... im screwed!! I loved the name Olivia untill someone asked me what i was going to call her and the womans response was "Olivia Newton John Wha"... in the thickest of all dub accents and it turned me off... I love the name Ríonagh and someones response to that was "it sounds very like renal" and then my third choice was Síomha and people just seem to not comment and make "the face" when you say it!!! booohoooo :(

Madisson wrote: »
    Ive just realised that I have 4 weeks to decide on the name my child will be stuck with forever... im screwed!! I loved the name Olivia untill someone asked me what i was going to call her and the womans response was "Olivia Newton John Wha"... in the thickest of all dub accents and it turned me off... I love the name Ríonagh and someones response to that was "it sounds very like renal" and then my third choice was Síomha and people just seem to not comment and make "the face" when you say it!!! booohoooo :(

Don't tell people the names you like, simples! Once you call the child that they can't say anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Olivia is a lovely name. It's on my list. My husband refuses to commit to any name. Our poor child will be nameless! How do you pronounce Síomha?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

All three are great names imo, particularly Ríonagh. Síomha (she-va) is an awesome name too although I may be biased...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

All three are great names imo, particularly Ríonagh. Síomha (she-va) is an awesome name too although I may be biased...

Was thinking that was the pronunciation. It's a lovely name. I like Ríonagh too but a friend of mine has a daughter called that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I met an adult Rionaigh in the beacon hospital a couple of weeks ago (one of the nurses) and I think it's a lovely name. I agree with seosamh, don't tell anyone your names - people think they have a right to say how much they HATE any particular name, but if/when you introduce your child as whatever name you have picked, they won't be as quick to comment! We haven't told anyone our shortlist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

positive feedback from my names... wahey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

positive feedback from my names... wahey :D

My niece is Olivia - lovely name too :)

• Advertisement

I really like Olivia too!!

We are thinking Paul as a middle name after my dad, since he never got any sons to name after himself!

Advertisement