Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Madisson wrote: »
    Ive just realised that I have 4 weeks to decide on the name my child will be stuck with forever... im screwed!! I loved the name Olivia untill someone asked me what i was going to call her and the womans response was "Olivia Newton John Wha"... in the thickest of all dub accents and it turned me off... I love the name Ríonagh and someones response to that was "it sounds very like renal" and then my third choice was Síomha and people just seem to not comment and make "the face" when you say it!!! booohoooo :(

I like Síomha, I like Olivia too .

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I like Sebastian, I like it shortened to Seb, would depend on the surname I guess. I love Jamie.

We named our little boy Jamie, just saw over on another thread titled 'names you hate' and it was started with Jamie being one of the op's names that she hated, ive been sad ever since I read that(super sensitive) shouldn't let it get to me, Jamie is cute and can't be shortened (we hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Rose35 wrote: »
    We named our little boy Jamie, just saw over on another thread titled 'names you hate' and it was started with Jamie being one of the op's names that she hated, ive been sad ever since I read that(super sensitive) shouldn't let it get to me, Jamie is cute and can't be shortened (we hope)

Don't worry about it, names are very personal and what one person loves, another will hate. I have friends who have named their kids with monikers that make me shudder, but they are their kids, not mine! I'm really not a fan of american-style names such as Braden, Jayden, Madisson etc but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them - they're just not for me! If it helps, as a kid I hated my name (Kerry) but I love it now (too many kids shouting Donegal! Dublin! at me!)

nikpmup wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, names are very personal and what one person loves, another will hate. I have friends who have named their kids with monikers that make me shudder, but they are their kids, not mine! I'm really not a fan of american-style names such as Braden, Jayden, Madisson etc but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them - they're just not for me! If it helps, as a kid I hated my name (Kerry) but I love it now (too many kids shouting Donegal! Dublin! at me!)
    Thanks, i feel better now, just needed a whinge about it, and had a good laugh, i love your name too... but that is so funny.. kids eh!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Awe. Me and hubby love the name Jamie! As mentioned in my earlier post its our first choice! So don't be sad. There's some terrible names out there that I hate... But it's all so subjective! And i would never make a comment on a name i dislike. only a positive comment on the names i love. Its a pity someone started a thread about names they hate tho.... I think it serves no purpose really and can only hurt people's feelings. Pay no attention. I love Jamie and we will most likely be calling our baby Jamie if its a boy :).

• Advertisement

Thanks, i feel better now, just needed a whinge about it, and had a good laugh, i love your name too... but that is so funny.. kids eh!!!:D

I'm 37 years old, and I still occasionally get people saying "howaya Dublin hur hur hur!" when I introduce myself! Another point about names - children 'become' what they are called - I'm sure you couldn't imagine your little boy being named anything else now!

I'm 37 years old, and I still occasionally get people saying "howaya Dublin hur hur hur!" when I introduce myself! Another point about names - children 'become' what they are called - I'm sure you couldn't imagine your little boy being named anything else now!
    I agree, I had a few other names in my head but if I look at him now he is such a Jamie cute, bubbly and so handsome. It's a difficult decision deciding on a name, both mammy and daddy have to agree on liking it. Bugger everyone else, each to their own, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.(must steer clear of negative threads!!)

I agree, I had a few other names in my head but if I look at him now he is such a Jamie cute, bubbly and so handsome. It's a difficult decision deciding on a name, both mammy and daddy have to agree on liking it. Bugger everyone else, each to their own, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.(must steer clear of negative threads!!)

I know a couple of adult Jamies, and I have never once thought anything negative about their name! People are what they are called!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Jamie is cute and can't be shortened (we hope)

I know 2 Jamies who's names are shortened to Jay ;-)

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I know 2 Jamies who's names are shortened to Jay ;-)

:eek:, guess if it happens it happens, i will be quick to correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Name twin :P I've never met another adult with the same name as me! I've heard all the jokes over the years too. Funny, as a kid I wasn't crazy about my name either.

Roesy wrote: »
    Name twin :P I've never met another adult with the same name as me! I've heard all the jokes over the years too. Funny, as a kid I wasn't crazy about my name either.

I've only met one other adult Kerry - he was a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My little boy is Josh and that name has been said loads of times in that thread! I love it though and it really really suits him. We had reasons for picking it too that went beyond just liking the sound of it. Jamie was a very close second and I love that too. Don't be sad! Life would be boring if we all liked the same names. That thread is just full of anger and hate. Some people are just so negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My little boy is Josh and that name has been said loads of times in that thread! I love it though and it really really suits him. We had reasons for picking it too that went beyond just liking the sound of it. Jamie was a very close second and I love that too. Don't be sad! Life would be boring if we all liked the same names. That thread is just full of anger and hate. Some people are just so negative.

I LOVE Josh but OH doesnt. Loved it before i even had kids before i met oh. Had always said id call my first born son Josh but oh not a fan. :-(

Suucee wrote: »
    I LOVE Josh but OH doesnt. Loved it before i even had kids before i met oh. Had always said id call my first born son Josh but oh not a fan. :-(

Ha - Picking names is so hard. My husband hated nearly all the names I suggested so I feel your pain. I really wanted Matthew (always wanted a boy called that) but I got super vetoed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Ha - Picking names is so hard. My husband hated nearly all the names I suggested so I feel your pain. I really wanted Matthew (always wanted a boy called that) but I got super vetoed!

We loved Matthew. It's a family name on my OH's side. And it's nice and solid, not too common these days either!

I still haven't ruled it out. Maybe if we have another one and it's a boy I might get to use. Maybe my husband will have mellowed by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Labelle28

For boys we have:

Hugo
    Rory
    Gavin
    Bobby

I Love the name Hugo but struggling to decide if it will go well with a surname starting with O'?

Labelle28 wrote: »
    For boys we have:

Hugo
    Rory
    Gavin
    Bobby

I Love the name Hugo but struggling to decide if it will go well with a surname starting with O'?

I love Hugo too! I just sounded it out with O'Leary, and it sounded grand.... Say it out loud a few times and see how it rolls.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Sligo1 wrote: »
    What do people think of the name Sebastian? When we mentioned it to MIL she kinda said... "you must be joking!". But we like it. Do ye think it sounds pretentious at all? I dont know why I like it.... Just like the sound of it. We also like the name Jamie which is probably our first choice at the moment.

this is my husbands non-negotiable name. i absolutely detest it. as for the shortened version Seb - urrrrrrrrrrrgh, we dont live in Orange Country.

if you both like it go for it

• Advertisement

I love Hugo too! I just sounded it out with O'Leary, and it sounded grand.... Say it out loud a few times and see how it rolls.

Thanks for the feedback, of course it's just what I wanted to hear too ;-) I think it's ok with our surname too. I just need to work on DH now!!

John Mason wrote: »
    this is my husbands non-negotiable name. i absolutely detest it. as for the shortened version Seb - urrrrrrrrrrrgh, we dont live in Orange Country.

if you both like it go for it

I like Sebastian, it's not on my list but it's a nice name. I do think kids will call him Seb though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would call him Seb too:)
    It is not the worst name out there and is the same name in many countries.
    I think Hugo is kind of cute but for some reason I find it very english.
    I would always presume Bobby was short for Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Well, me and the boyfriend just found out that we're expecting our first little one a few days ago :D We've been avidly putting together lists already, I am soo excited.

Girls:
    Lydia
    Elexa
    Heather
    Addison
    Elizabeth (OHs mums name, I really love it though)
    Freya
    Charlotte

Boys:
    Alexander
    Connor
    Liam
    Sebastian
    Jordan
    Rian

If we have a girl we both already agree Grace is a strong contender for a middle name, and quite like Lee if it's a boy. OH doesn't agree with me so much on this front, but I like Leigh as a girls name...

Sebastian and Jordan are probably my favourite boys names, I like a lot of names but all the ones I love seem to be the 'common' ones and we kind of wanna avoid that, but I get a lot of stick about wanting to call my son Sebastian. Boys names are so difficult, I remember why I grew up just wanting daughters now :P

Elexa and Lydia are my favourites for girls.

Spose we have over 7 months to figure this out, I will be scrolling this thread for inspiration :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Well, me and the boyfriend just found out that we're expecting our first little one a few days ago :D We've been avidly putting together lists already, I am soo excited.

Girls:
    Lydia
    Elexa
    Heather
    Addison
    Elizabeth (OHs mums name, I really love it though)
    Freya
    Charlotte

Boys:
    Alexander
    Connor
    Liam
    Sebastian
    Jordan
    Rian

If we have a girl we both already agree Grace is a strong contender for a middle name, and quite like Lee if it's a boy. OH doesn't agree with me so much on this front, but I like Leigh as a girls name...

Sebastian and Jordan are probably my favourite boys names, I like a lot of names but all the ones I love seem to be the 'common' ones and we kind of wanna avoid that, but I get a lot of stick about wanting to call my son Sebastian. Boys names are so difficult, I remember why I grew up just wanting daughters now :P

Elexa and Lydia are my favourites for girls.

Spose we have over 7 months to figure this out, I will be scrolling this thread for inspiration :D

My eldest is Addison :D You have good taste in names.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I love the name Sebastian, but I don't like the way so many Irish seem to pronounce it like Sebas-chen....then it's awful. And I wouldn't like it shortened to Seb.

Thankfully we had a girl. If we had a boy I think we'd be still here nearly 22 months later trying to think of a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Boys names were hard to decide with us! But we got one that worked perfect now. Here I am again and we are hitting the same wall!

We wanted Lucy for a girl all along since our first and MIL said it last week and now thinks she picked it :-( so back to square 1 now

For boys I like Cory and Luke and hubby is half way there just not fully.

Girls I'm just not sure at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

^^ I really like Cory for a boy too.

I'm really debating the Irish name thing rn, I'm half irish and OH is english, I'd quite like to have at least an irish middle name going on since our last name is stereotypically british but I can't find anything that works with our favoured first names. I know my Mams side of the family would appreciate it though, so I shall try..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I dont believe in calling kids are after anyone.They deserve their own name.I suppose my boys names would be very American but they are the names i like.
    jamie is very popular theres2 in my sons class and last year there was 3 in his playschool.
    John and Gary are getting quite popular.
    For my 4th boy i had Caeden/Cayden i didnt call him that.Just as well there is one in his class now.I called him Logan which suits him down to the ground.My5th boy is called Zak not short for anything just really liked the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Any thoughts on the name Max?

Advertisement