Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ynwa14 wrote: »
    We've decided on Addison Olivia for a girl! We both really love it so I'm gonna ignore our families who will probably disagree. We'll probably use Addie while she's growing up :)

I'm pretty sure we're having a girl, but we chose Sebastian as our boy name! Still cannot for the life of me think of a middle name though :(

Can't go wrong with Addison :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

What do people think of the name Skye for a girl??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I love Skye for a girl,lovely name

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I love Skye, its pretty/quite unique but not "trashy" sounding. :D

We'll soon know if we're having an Addison or a Sebastian, chose to get a cvs done and we can find out from that so we decided we wanted to know. Fingers crossed the testing goes well so we can focus on the very exciting aspect of gender specific baby shopping :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Sebastian was going to be our boys name (I think)... But have found out were having a girl :-)... So I think Lily is our number one at the moment. But what do people think of the name Indigo (Indi short I think). Came across it the other day and I think it's lovely. Just asked OH there and he likes it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Very home and away! I like indi

Ha... Yes that's exactly where I heard it from! And I wouldn't like picking names from soaps! Had lily picked a very long time ago... Then lily became the latest coronation street baby name and I just cringed at the thought! Lol. But I still like it.

i like indi more than lily,theres loads of lilys

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There was a lady in the supermarket the other day and all her kids were named colours.

Lol... Well our first born is Thomas so that won't be happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My name is Niamh and I hate hate hate being called Nee-Ov. Everyone calls me Neeve and on the rare occasion somebody pronounced it nee-ov, I correct them.

I lived overseas for years and didn't mind having what was considered an unusual name. As someone said it was a talking point, spelling it out etc
    That's so funny, I'm a Niamh too and I hate, hate, hate when people pronounce it Neeve! Has to be Nee-Ov and like you, I will correct them! I wonder if it's a geographical thing, I'm from the border and live in Cork and notice there are names pronounced differently, for example, Ailish - in Monaghan that would be Aay-lish in Cork it's Eye-Leash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ncmc wrote: »
    That's so funny, I'm a Niamh too and I hate, hate, hate when people pronounce it Neeve! Has to be Nee-Ov and like you, I will correct them! I wonder if it's a geographical thing, I'm from the border and live in Cork and notice there are names pronounced differently, for example, Ailish - in Monaghan that would be Aay-lish in Cork it's Eye-Leash

I am from Cork and we always pronounced it Nee-Ov in school.

As for Ailish, I always thought Aay-lish, and Eílís was Eye-leesh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am from Cork and we always pronounced it Nee-Ov in school.

As for Ailish, I always thought Aay-lish, and Eílís was Eye-leesh
    You are probably right about the Ailish/Eilis, though I know an Aislish pronounced Eilis... maybe her parents got confused!

The actress Neve Campbell was a godsend for me, now if I am in the States and am asked for my name for a reservation/Starbucks etc, I just say Neve.... much easier than trying to explain how 'mh' in Irish is pronounced 'V' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Sebastian was going to be our boys name (I think)... But have found out were having a girl :-)... So I think Lily is our number one at the moment. But what do people think of the name Indigo (Indi short I think). Came across it the other day and I think it's lovely. Just asked OH there and he likes it aswell.

You know me. Huge Lily fan but wont be getting to use it this time. I like indi too but prefer Lily. Bloody david platt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Any thoughts on Rosabel? Saw it in the paper today and thought it was beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Rosabel? Saw it in the paper today and thought it was beautiful!

I think it's gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Love the name Indigo or any name like Indy, India etc..

Not mad about Rosabel.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Sligo1 wrote: »

Great taste in names there, both Indy and Lily are names we have picked for our little one due in 6 weeks. I didn't know they were being used in soaps though, has slightly put me off! I got Indy/Indi from Youtube where the parents recorded their baby every day for a year and made a video of him, was such a cute baby I fell in love with the name! They were shortening it from Indiana though. I think Indy would be cool for a girl as well but OH wants it just for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Indy after Indiana Jones? Thats a great name haven't heard anyone with that name except for tv.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Indy after Indiana Jones? Thats a great name haven't heard anyone with that name except for tv.

My ex boyfriends sisters name was Indi/Indy. But that was short for India as opposed to Indigo.

• Advertisement

The gas thing bout Indiana Jones is that was the dogs,he had a run of the mill name.He was called Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

used to enjoy this thread so I thought id resurrect it. We both tend to like Irish names and this is pretty much our latest thoughts
    girls
    niamh, laoise, beibhin ,sineid, ciara, clodagh, emer, maebh, elaine, hannah

boys
    liam, shane, patrick, daniel, michael, ciaran, brendan, Cian, darragh, denis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My names Sinéad and as far as nicknames go the only one/s are nead or neadie... not too bad I think the names near extinct now :(
    I like Emer but I'd spell it Eiméar if you want them Irish

I like Michael but again with the fadagh over the é

Think we're heading on the lines of Lucy and Luke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

So far we've got Poppy Summer for a girl, and Elliot Chase for a boy.

But that could easily change!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 50shades

Balmed Out wrote: »
    used to enjoy this thread so I thought id resurrect it. We both tend to like Irish names and this is pretty much our latest thoughts
    girls
    niamh, laoise, beibhin ,sineid, ciara, clodagh, emer, maebh, elaine, hannah

boys
    liam, shane, patrick, daniel, michael, ciaran, brendan, Cian, darragh, denis
    what about hazel in ur list of girl names think it lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So far we've got Poppy Summer for a girl!

Wow. That is some name!
    Have you invisaged a person with that name in their 30's introducing themselves to a boardroom/ classroom/ meeting?
    It is a very cutesy name. I would be concerned about it seeming a bit ridiculous when they pass the pigtail stage.

ElleEm wrote: »
    Wow. That is some name!
    Have you invisaged a person with that name in their 30's introducing themselves to a boardroom/ classroom/ meeting?
    It is a very cutesy name. I would be concerned about it seeming a bit ridiculous when they pass the pigtail stage.

Well Summer is the middle name obviously, so they'd be introducing themselves as simply Poppy. But I don't think it's the kind of name that a girl would outgrow, it's feminine and much less common but not to the point of provoking teasing.

We're on a mission to choose names that are not common, but not too odd, and we're both against naming after family members, which limits our options. I also don't like mashing two names I like together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My names Sinéad and as far as nicknames go the only one/s are nead or neadie... not too bad I think the names near extinct now :(
    I like Emer but I'd spell it Eiméar if you want them Irish

I like Michael but again with the fadagh over the é

Think we're heading on the lines of Lucy and Luke

I don't think you need a fada in Michael. It'd change the pronunciation too much.

• Advertisement

I don't think you need a fada in Michael. It'd change the pronunciation too much.

I'd agree, if you are going to put the fada over the e, best to change it to the correct Irish spelling for Michael as well. Which is pronounced Mee-hall.

Advertisement