Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well Summer is the middle name obviously, so they'd be introducing themselves as simply Poppy. But I don't think it's the kind of name that a girl would outgrow, it's feminine and much less common but not to the point of provoking teasing.

We're on a mission to choose names that are not common, but not too odd, and we're both against naming after family members, which limits our options. I also don't like mashing two names I like together.
    Why bother with the middle name then? Why include a name that you know will never be used? Didn't bother with middle names with either of my kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Cienciano wrote: »
    Why bother with the middle name then? Why include a name that you know will never be used? Didn't bother with middle names with either of my kids.

I can only speak for my family but for myself and my siblings my mother chose both an Irish name and a native name for the country we were born in. As a result I am proud of both sides of my life and I love my full name. It has a meaning for me. I don't use the names often but I'll always tell people about them.

Just wondering, when people choose names, do they pick something that "works" with the surname? Sometimes a name just sounds all wrong when you combine it with a surname.
    eg, someone might think the name "Trent" is cool, or "Max". But combine it with "O'Rourke" and it just sounds wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Because I like middle names. Possibly because I've always known there to be a middle name, but I'm very fond of mine and how it blends with my own first name and I believe it adds to the personality of a person.

Just wondering, when people choose names, do they pick something that "works" with the surname? Sometimes a name just sounds all wrong when you combine it with a surname.
    eg, someone might think the name "Trent" is cool, or "Max". But combine it with "O'Rourke" and it just sounds wrong

Definitely, surname is Richmond in our case, and we had to abandon the first choice boy name of Archer because it sounded too raw with it. I'm lucky in the sense that it is quite a mature sounding name, so mixing it with certain first names makes them sound less childish (or so I like to think :o ).

I don't think Poppy Richmond sounds nearly as childish or "cutesy" as, say Poppy O'Rourke as you put it. But each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

50shades wrote: »
    what about hazel in ur list of girl names think it lovely :)

Hazel is a nice name but I think it requires a guarantee of a certain colouring

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I love the name Emma.
    If I ever have another baby, it would be my girl's name. When I was pregnant last time, I was delighted it was a girl because I can never think of a boys name that I like enough to actually name a boy.

Definitely, surname is Richmond in our case, and we had to abandon the first choice boy name of Archer because it sounded too raw with it. I'm lucky in the sense that it is quite a mature sounding name, so mixing it with certain first names makes them sound less childish (or so I like to think :o ).

I don't think Poppy Richmond sounds nearly as childish or "cutesy" as, say Poppy O'Rourke as you put it. But each to their own I guess.
    You're right and Richmond is a good second name, I reckon you can get away with a lot of first names with that surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

So far we've got Poppy Summer for a girl, and Elliot Chase for a boy.

But that could easily change!

I personally LOVE your girls name! I am due shortly and we now know we are having a boy - likely calling him Milo but Poppy and Daisy were top of our girls list. I dont think that either name would preclude someone from having a professional career at all!

You're right and Richmond is a good second name, I reckon you can get away with a lot of first names with that surname.

*phew*
    Was starting to think I was just imagining it in my head to get away with the name :P
    It does lend an air of maturity to some names, in comparison to my own surname which would make a lot of names sound very childish, but I find Irish surnames have that habit.

I'll probably change my mind at least 20,000 times before the baby is born. Partner refuses to discuss names any further until we are about 7 months pregnant, even though I've just eyed a piece of cardboard in the rubbish bag that came out of his car with Lily, Ava, Eve and Violet scribbled on it ;)

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »
    I personally LOVE your girls name! I am due shortly and we now know we are having a boy - likely calling him Milo but Poppy and Daisy were top of our girls list. I dont think that either name would preclude someone from having a professional career at all!

I love the name Milo as well, and it was on my shortlist but a friend of my partner got their first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

closifer wrote: »

I had a fifty odd year old lecturer in college called Lucy and it just seemed like a silly name for a woman. I know kids called Millie and Maisie and stuff and it's all well and good when they are little, but I can't imagine a Doctor Millie or Professor Maisie. The names are just too child like.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Wife pregnant, hopefully its another son as i want to call him guseppi (spelling) after guseppi conlene who was the father of gerry conlene (guilford four) Somehow i want to keep this mans memorey alive by naming my child after him but my wife and eveyone i mention it to say im off my head.

I do understand that it wouldnt be a common name but its one im very fond off. Even thou its not common, i think people will get used to it just like some of tge crazy names ive heard tgese last few years.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I had a fifty odd year old lecturer in college called Lucy and it just seemed like a silly name for a woman. I know kids called Millie and Maisie and stuff and it's all well and good when they are little, but I can't imagine a Doctor Millie or Professor Maisie. The names are just too child like.

Well in professions like Professor or Doctor, it's a rare occurrence that they would go by their first name. Usually the surname applies there. Millie always makes me giggle, because I know a total of 11 female dogs with that name. Maisie is very old fashioned, and if anything I would tie the name to an elderly person before a child.

I definitely don't think Lucy is a childish name either. In fact, the only two names I have ever come across that don't sound right for adults is Ellie (not as a nickname, but as an actual name) and Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

yoloc wrote: »
    Wife pregnant, hopefully its another son as i want to call him guseppi (spelling) after guseppi conlene who was the father of gerry conlene (guilford four) Somehow i want to keep this mans memorey alive by naming my child after him but my wife and eveyone i mention it to say im off my head.

I do understand that it wouldnt be a common name but its one im very fond off. Even thou its not common, i think people will get used to it just like some of tge crazy names ive heard tgese last few years.

Surely you should pick a name you can spell??

Surely you should pick a name you can spell??

Surely ill learn to spell it properly when the time comes ;)

yoloc wrote: »
    Surely ill learn to spell it properly when the time comes ;)

If you were really that fond of it, you'd already know how to spell it :D
    It wont fare well when you are filling out forms for the baby and can't even be sure if you have written down the correct spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I don't think you need a fada in Michael. It'd change the pronunciation too much.

I said I like it thatway it's not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

So it'd be pronounced Mich-ale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yep I like both just prefer the fadagh.

I've a cousin called Michael doesn't bother me at all

• Advertisement

If you were really that fond of it, you'd already know how to spell it :D
    It wont fare well when you are filling out forms for the baby and can't even be sure if you have written down the correct spelling.

Sure it wouldnt be the first time ive forgot something so important. Forgot my kids age and date of birth when regiestering him for his yearly football lol. I near died when all the other parents looking at me when i had to ask the child for the answers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm really struggling for boys names. I have my girls name picked out for years - Christine May after my mother and grandmother respectively, but we can't agree on a boys name. I prefer classic names, but not anything that's too trendy at the moment. The forerunner at the moment is Edward, but I'm not 100% mad on it. I definitely think boys names are tougher than girls.

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm really struggling for boys names. I have my girls name picked out for years - Christine May after my mother and grandmother respectively, but we can't agree on a boys name. I prefer classic names, but not anything that's too trendy at the moment. The forerunner at the moment is Edward, but I'm not 100% mad on it. I definitely think boys names are tougher than girls.

Definitely. I could list girl names I like and would probably need a second ream of paper :P
    But I've only come across three boys names I truly like, and two of them don't suit the surname, so I'm down to one :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Definitely. I could list girl names I like and would probably need a second ream of paper :P
    But I've only come across three boys names I truly like, and two of them don't suit the surname, so I'm down to one :(

Why the frown, are you expecting twins??

Why the frown, are you expecting twins??

We don't know yet, but that's a possibility :P
    Aside from that, I'd like a backup name as I am well aware that Elliot might not suit the baby (if it is a boy) and I'd be at a loss of what else to pick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

We don't know yet, but that's a possibility :P
    Aside from that, I'd like a backup name as I am well aware that Elliot might not suit the baby (if it is a boy) and I'd be at a loss of what else to pick!

I've a nephew named Elliot. Cool name!

I love it, but it was never a name I considered before I got pregnant. I'd like an arsenal of boy names just in case I can't find one that suits when I meet the baby. Not like when my mother was in the UK and had weeks to decide on my name :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I said I like it thatway it's not for everyone.

It's not about preferences. It either won't be spelt or pronounced correctly (or both) that way. Fadas aren't just random additions. They make a difference.

If you want the Irish name it's Mícheál.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I like Elliot actually, but it makes me think of the (female) Dr Elliot Reed in Scrubs!

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    I like Elliot actually, but it makes me think of the (female) Dr Elliot Reed in Scrubs!

That's the only thing that would put me off it, although there's plenty of unisex names floating around these days. I always felt Elliot was more of a male name anyway, just like I've always felt Jordan to be more male.

Advertisement