Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

ncmc wrote: »
    I like Elliot actually, but it makes me think of the (female) Dr Elliot Reed in Scrubs!

I don't like girl/boy names for boys - However, Elliot could never be taken as a girls name in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Dolbert wrote: »
    So it'd be pronounced Mich-ale?

my fathers name is Michael (mike-al) and my brothers name is Micheál (me-hall) so the fada goes on the 'a' not the 'e'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Love Elliott think its a great name.Funny how a name falls out of the sky at you.My 3rd son didnt suit the names i had for him at all.Ryan kept popping in to my head,nice name just not really to my taste.But its suits him too a t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I don't like girl/boy names for boys - However, Elliot could never be taken as a girls name in my opinion.
    This is true, in fact in Scrubs there is a joke that she is regularly being mistaken for a man. It's just when something gets in your head, it can turn you off a name, even if it's totally stupid!

There's a lot to be said for not telling anyone your planned names, because there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Whereas they are less likely to say that when the baby arrives and you've definitely named it!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

Our baby girl is due in march I love amber but himself isn't too sure what do you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

This is true, in fact in Scrubs there is a joke that she is regularly being mistaken for a man. It's just when something gets in your head, it can turn you off a name, even if it's totally stupid!

There's a lot to be said for not telling anyone your planned names, because there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Whereas they are less likely to say that when the baby arrives and you've definitely named it!

It's true, when I mentioned Elliot to my mum and sister, they both hymmed and hawwed about it. They've come around and my mother actually loves it now (she's been saying it repeatedly), but when I mentioned it to a friend she said it sounded awful and clearly it is awful because she doesn't know any boys called Elliot. This coming from a girl who admits to taking all three of her children's names directly from Twilight :o

Our baby girl is due in march I love amber but himself isn't too sure what do you guys think?

I like it, but like Hazel I think it demands that the child have a certain colouring. If your daughter had blue or green eyes and blonde or black hair, Amber wouldn't really sound right.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We don't know yet, but that's a possibility :P
    Aside from that, I'd like a backup name as I am well aware that Elliot might not suit the baby (if it is a boy) and I'd be at a loss of what else to pick!
    Just ran Elliot past the OH and he LOVES it! So I could be stealing your name ShaShaBear!

Don't worry, I'm based in Cork and not Monaghan now, so there isn't the risk of them being in the same class with the same name :o

Just ran Elliot past the OH and he LOVES it! So I could be stealing your name ShaShaBear!

Don't worry, I'm based in Cork and not Monaghan now, so there isn't the risk of them being in the same class with the same name :o

Glad to help :D One or two more Elliots won't hurt, might make the name more plausible!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Glad to help :D One or two more Elliots won't hurt, might make the name more plausible!
    Would you believe it's not in the top 100 names of 2012, so it fits the criteria of being unusual without being weird. Also the little boy in ET was Elliot, so it has added cuteness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I know a lot of Elliots, all babies/toddlers, I don't like the name tbh. I find it to be a harsh name (when repeated constantly at a toddler not paying attention) and it reminds me of ET, a movie I hate and have never even seen but I know he says Elliot funny, Ellll-eee-ut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How can you hate a film you've never seen?

Yeah, Elll iiiiii ot is the first thing I think of when I hear Elliot alright, but I like it anyway. And the child in ET is uber-cute.

pwurple wrote: »
    How can you hate a film you've never seen?

Yeah, Elll iiiiii ot is the first thing I think of when I hear Elliot alright, but I like it anyway. And the child in ET is uber-cute.

Well I've sat down to watch it, when I was a kid, got a bit of the way in and thought that it was sh!t and the alien is just weird, so never watched the whole thing. But so many people seem to adore it that they are incredulous I hate it and haven't watched all of it and insist on telling me bits and pieces of scenes, doing impressions, and I've seen the odd bits of it on ads, switched over and away again to the movie when it's on etc. Is that ok??

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

ElleEm wrote: »
    I had a fifty odd year old lecturer in college called Lucy and it just seemed like a silly name for a woman. I know kids called Millie and Maisie and stuff and it's all well and good when they are little, but I can't imagine a Doctor Millie or Professor Maisie. The names are just too child like.

I actually know of a Doctor Maisie and Millie, and their name has never come into their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Bruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well I've sat down to watch it, when I was a kid, got a bit of the way in and thought that it was sh!t and the alien is just weird, so never watched the whole thing. But so many people seem to adore it that they are incredulous I hate it and haven't watched all of it and insist on telling me bits and pieces of scenes, doing impressions, and I've seen the odd bits of it on ads, switched over and away again to the movie when it's on etc. Is that ok??

Hehe, yeah. Gosh you must get a lot of grief about it, seem a bit touchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It's not about preferences. It either won't be spelt or pronounced correctly (or both) that way. Fadas aren't just random additions. They make a difference.

If you want the Irish name it's Mícheál.

She asked what people thought of them I gave an opinion and I gave an Irish name I Know what the difference is to them

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

She asked what people thought of them I gave an opinion and I gave an Irish name I Know what the difference is to them

The name that you suggested, Michaél, isn't an Irish name. Maybe you meant Mícháel, with fadas on the i and a?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've never seen E.T either seosamh! Like yourself I made a couple of attempts as a kid but couldn't get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Please don't deliberately misspell your child's name just because you like it that way :( He'll be corrected all his life.

• Advertisement

Please don't deliberately misspell your child's name just because you like it that way :( He'll be corrected all his life.

Funny that Synyster Shadow spells the first word that way in her username :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Sheesh parents can spell their child's name however they want... If the child ever decides to live outside Ireland when they are older I can 100% guarantee you they will be forever correcting the spelling of their names anyway if its an Irish name... Never mind explaining to people what a fada is and where it goes. Same with other countries ethnic names.

We're going to call our girl Lilly/Lily... Haven't decided to use the double or single L... And jeez.... I couldn't give a crap if people think im silly for using the double L. Totally up to the parents what and how they want to spell it IMHO....

P.s. I think Eliott is a really nice name for a boy... One I hadn't even thought of.

Funny that Synyster Shadow spells the first word that way in her username :P

Yeah I did all that by accident!!
    Look up avenged sevenfold band members!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Sheesh parents can spell their child's name however they want... If the child ever decides to live outside Ireland when they are older I can 100% guarantee you they will be forever correcting the spelling of their names anyway if its an Irish name... Never mind explaining to people what a fada is and where it goes. Same with other countries ethnic names.

We're going to call our girl Lilly/Lily... Haven't decided to use the double or single L... And jeez.... I couldn't give a crap if people think im silly for using the double L. Totally up to the parents what and how they want to spell it IMHO....

P.s. I think Eliott is a really nice name for a boy... One I hadn't even thought of.

Sigh, it's not comparable though is it? Lilly with an extra L is still pronounced the same. It's like spelling it Lilly but insisting it's pronounced Lola. Great stuff altogether if she wants him (and his parents) to appear illiterate.

Sigh, it's not comparable though is it? Lilly with an extra L is still pronounced the same. It's like spelling it Lilly but insisting it's pronounced Lola. Great stuff altogether if she wants him (and his parents) to appear illiterate.

.... I still think its a parents perogative... And others will just have to get used to it.... I don't think anyone is going to think they appear illiterate.... Only perhaps judgemental people who don't have enough to worry about.... The others will prob just say... "o ok, I'll know for next time...".

My sons names Jack! As for the name in mention its not the name I chose I passed comment end of why drag it on. And to imply someone is illiterate is insulting! What if I were dyslexic as there are actually a few in my family and have friends with it. Think it's time to knock it on the head!

To the OP about the names it's what suits you at the time sorry for my input

My sons names Jack! As for the name in mention its not the name I chose I passed comment end of why drag it on. And to imply someone is illiterate is insulting! What if I were dyslexic as there are actually a few in my family and have friends with it. Think it's time to knock it on the head!

To the OP about the names it's what suits you at the time sorry for my input

Now now, you're the one comparing illiteracy to dyslexia. And if you were illiterate and still managing to type I'd be suitably impressed :)

Yep, it's the parents' prerogative of course. However it isn't the parents who have to live with a name that's stupidly spelled for the sake of it (especially when they know it's wrong, but continue anyway).

Yep, it's the parents' prerogative of course. However it isn't the parents who have to live with a name that's stupidly spelled for the sake of it (especially when they know it's wrong, but continue anyway).

O god... The poor child.... Scarred for life I'd say.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

For a girl I love the names Eve, Darcy and Emilie.

And for a boy, Jamie, Daniel (after my dad) and Liam

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    .... I still think its a parents perogative... And others will just have to get used to it.

That's like saying "My son's name is Richard, spelled ANDREW". There are spellings of words that are accepted for how the letters produce the sound and have become common use over the years, if you change what is known as a common spelling you have to accept it will cause confusion. Putting fadas wherever you fancy is messing with a language. You can't just move umlaut symbols in German to suit what you think the word should look like.

Advertisement