Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Partner said no. In fact he's pretty much gone against every single girl's name I've come across beginning with the letter E.

On the 22nd of February, assuming baby cooperates, we're finding out the gender. If it is a boy, he automatically becomes Elliot. I'd like to at least have some provisional girls names for then :rolleyes:
    Time to try the "L"s...

I like Lacey, Lori, Lucy, and Luna. I did like Lily, but a friend who is due 5 weeks before me just announced her baby is a girl to be named Lily :o

Partner gave Lori the all clear!

We're naming our girl Lilly :). It's my favourite and also my husbands fav...the only thing putting me off is how popular it is. I didnt know how popular it was when we chose it. But I think we're going to keep it as we've been referring to her as Lilly since I was 17 weeks... Couldn't imagine her being anything else now... Unless she becomes a Sebastian. Lol.

Lucy is a lovely name aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Lily is sooo popular! Every other child the last few years is lily. Think even with one L or two they are both top 10 or something ridiculous! Scratched it off my list when i saw that. I like lucy, very sweet name.

Luna reminds me of werewolves, and looney luna lovegood from harry potter! :)

I like Lori but wouldnt be able to have it as we watch the walking dead and hate the actress who plays Lori :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lily is sooo popular! Every other child the last few years is lily. Think even with one L or two they are both top 10 or something ridiculous! Scratched it off my list when i saw that. I like lucy, very sweet name.

I like Lori but wouldnt be able to have it as we watch the walking dead and hate the actress who plays Lori :)

I think Lori is sweet and short enough to suit a little girl, but it wouldn't seem odd as an adult either. I think it's a definite contender because OH is in the kitchen at the minute making spaghetti bolognese and muttering "Lori Richmond, Lori and Elliot, Lori... Lori..."

Bless his cotton socks :o

That's thing I actually don't know anyone who has called their baby Lilly. I mean ive heard its popular alright and I know it's in the top 10 but I don't know of anyone who's called their girl Lilly.

I told a primary school teacher and she said there were like 5 Lily's in her class alone. That put me off. So I've been thinking of other names.... But nothing seems as right for us as Lilly.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's thing I actually don't know anyone who has called their baby Lilly. I mean ive heard its popular alright and I know it's in the top 10 but I don't know of anyone who's called their girl Lilly.

I told a primary school teacher and she said there were like 5 Lily's in her class alone. That put me off. So I've been thinking of other names.... But nothing seems as right for us as Lilly.

Lillian?

• Advertisement

Lillian?

Wouldn't be gone on Lillian tbh... :)
    Thanks all the same. I've said a couple other names to OH and he stuck his nose up at them. Lol. They must've been really bad coz he's actually sooooo easy going in regards to names... Lol

Wouldn't be gone on Lillian tbh... :)
    Thanks all the same. I've said a couple other names to OH and he stuck his nose up at them. Lol. They must've been really bad coz he's actually sooooo easy going in regards to names... Lol

It took himself three weeks before he came back to me with Elliot. I mentioned it to him and again in front of my mum one day, and weeks later he just blurted out he wanted his son to be named Elliot.

So at present the bump is Smelliot, apparently due to my gas :o

It took himself three weeks before he came back to me with Elliot. I mentioned it to him and again in front of my mum one day, and weeks later he just blurted out he wanted his son to be named Elliot.

So at present the bump is Smelliot, apparently due to my gas :o

Lmao... Hopefully you'll be having a boy so. Elliot's a lovely name. You know you could use that for a girl aswell....

Lmao... Hopefully you'll be having a boy so. Elliot's a lovely name. You know you could use that for a girl aswell....

I'm curious as to how he is still happy to go with Elliot when we have essentially come up with our own bullying nickname :P
    We actually did think about going Elliot either way, but it just feels more like a boy's name to me. Lori is the only female contender at the minute that we are both totally comfortable with, but I'm going to tackle the N's in a minute :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I love Edith (or Edie), Eppie, Elsie, Eloise, Eva, Evie, Eliza, Elizabeth, Ésme, Eleanor (or Ellie), Elena, Elora.

• Advertisement

I'm curious as to how he is still happy to go with Elliot when we have essentially come up with our own bullying nickname :P
    I'm going to tackle the N's in a minute :P

We named our son Thomas (Tom) after my dad. Before i got pregnant with my son my OH would always call me Tom (after Tom Selleck). Because when I'd get a spray tan after a few days it'd be a bit darker under my nose like a moustache when I didn't exfoliate properly. He's constantly go around everywhere calling me Tom. Lol. Had to tell him to stop a few weeks before I gave birth coz I started associating my bump with a dirty tan mustache.

Nathalie is a fantastic name!!! (Jokes).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really, really like Luna. On the topic of "L"s, I also like Lydia, Lila, Lainey, Lara, Leilani, Lilibeth (Lily and Beth combined, love this), and Lyra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

As u know sligo i LOVE Lily. My aoife was supposed to be either Katie or Lily but neither suited her.
    I go to parent and toddler groups. Theres 1 other Aoife. 2 Katies 1 kate and 1 Lily. So there all popular by the looks of things.

Were having a boy. We have Dylan , Luke or Liam. But im still not totally sure. I suppose we will know whem we meet him.
    Also like a few others but OH doesnt. Dylan seems to be his favourite.

Dylan and Luke are really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Completely irrelevant post, but OH came home with his company newsletter the other day. There was a birth announcement bit - raging, I was, to see that someone else in his company nicked our sons name! I thought we had the only Hugo on the planet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

nikpmup wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant post, but OH came home with his company newsletter the other day. There was a birth announcement bit - raging, I was, to see that someone else in his company nicked our sons name! I thought we had the only Hugo on the planet! ;)

I love Hugo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Lilibeth (Lily and Beth combined, love this)

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a child lisping "Elizabeth"?

I love Laoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Apparently Lilibeth is the queen's nickname, and it is what close family and friends call her!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

ElleEm wrote: »
    Apparently Lilibeth is the queen's nickname, and it is what close family and friends call her!

Was just about to post this, apparently she and her siblings struggled to say Elizabeth as children, hence Lilibeth came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pipmae wrote: »
    I love Edith (or Edie), Eppie, Elsie, Eloise, Eva, Evie, Eliza, Elizabeth, Ésme, Eleanor (or Ellie), Elena, Elora.

I like the "E's" too. I know an Edie (super, super name) and I personally have always loved Eloise. They're very pretty names for a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've a Spanish friend called Elodie, love that name. She says it "Ell-uh-dee", another friend of mine pronounces it so oddly that I often don't know what she's saying because I just hear letters, she says "Ell.Oh.Dee", really defined, sounds like L.O.D. Drives me mad, she needs to say it faster or something!

I know an Elodie as well, I actually thought it was Melody for ages though until I saw it written down.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Myself and OH are expecting our baby girl in less than three months and are absolutely blanking on names. We thought we had it covered but nope, blanking - we changed our minds so often early on in the pregnancy that now nothing seems right! Haven't even got any maybes D: Stressing me out, seriously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

We were thinking of Georgie for a girl. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Myself and OH are expecting our baby girl in less than three months and are absolutely blanking on names. We thought we had it covered but nope, blanking - we changed our minds so often early on in the pregnancy that now nothing seems right! Haven't even got any maybes D: Stressing me out, seriously :D

Are ye thinking of any particular type of one.
    Irish
    Religious (a lot of lovely names are Hebrew)
    Not very well known or different spelling. e.g. Leila and Layla. Maybe we could throw a few out there that you may like, as we have been doing for a woman who was looking into names with E. :)
    We were thinking of Georgie for a girl. Any thoughts?

I like it :D

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Are ye thinking of any particular type of one.
    Irish
    Religious (a lot of lovely names are Hebrew)
    Not very well known or different spelling. e.g. Leila and Layla. Maybe we could throw a few out there that you may like, as we have been doing for a woman who was looking into names with E. :)

I like it :D

I would be the crazy E lady.

Seems we've decided on Lori Alexis for a girl, and Elliot Brody for a boy :D
    Subject to change in approx 10 minutes :o

But yeah, give us an idea of what you like, or even easier - what you don't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

BusyMum12 wrote: »
    Ella is a beautiful 'E' name.

It's a lovely name but it's been very very popular for the last few years. There'd probably be at least two other Ellas in every class she's in, every activity she joins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

nikpmup wrote: »

I hope you don't live in south Dublin or you're about to hear of a few more, there are bloody loads of them. Going to be 3 in my sons Montessori next year. There are only 20 kids in the class in total.

There was me thinking I was super original :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I really do not like Georgie,Georgina is not too bad though.
    I love Elodie, it is so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi strange qn maybe but do you have to give your child a middle name? Is it a legal requirement or what is the logic behind it? Just wondering coz in my family it was just used to give a nod to grandparents or keep certain names in the family, but I've never had any practical use for mine and it's not even on my passport, bank cards etc so I kind of don't see the point of it and was wondering is it possible to give it a skip when naming your child?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

No you don't have to give one.

Advertisement