Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Exciting stuff! You're so nearly there!

My 7 year old nephew woke up this morning and told my mother it was the first day of spring, asked if he'd grown because everything grows in spring, and asked if his uncle would take him outside to play football now that winter is over :) If only we could just flick a switch like that, kiddo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Out of the mouths of babes :) Well at least poxy January is over with. That was the longest gloomiest month ever :eek: ( excepting birthdays of course)

Grawns wrote: »
    Out of the mouths of babes :) Well at least poxy January is over with. That was the longest gloomiest month ever :eek: ( excepting birthdays of course)

February is birthday month in our house - I turn 30 next week, my hubby turns 29 the following day.. my little toyboy ;) The only birth we had in January seemed pretty long and gloomy to me! You all good to go on Thursday? That's the 5th, isn't it? Another good day for me, it's the anniversary of the day we got engaged, 7 years ago this year.. I love February!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

We had to come to a compromise.

The boys name goes without saying, it is my partners fathers name (Aidan) as he died and then I discovered I was pregnant so naturally we didn't even consider any other boys names.

But girls names was an open debate and it was very long. At first my OH wanted Caoimhe at first but we mentioned that to a person my OH knows who is Canadian and she said that in Canada it is a nasty and hurtful word to children so that got that out of his head. We then were arguing because I love Clodagh and he loves Aisling (which I like too but I prefer Clodagh) but I'm ot telling him that:) So we decided on an unusual name for an Irish Saint of February (Caoilfhinn) that we found in an old Irish names book.

His mother is going mental because she doesn't like our chosen names and since she doesn't like them she thinks she should decide. She got 2 words out of me! My baby, my decision. She is demanding something like Valerie or Molly and anything but Aidan for a boy (Jealous that we wanted to commemorate Aidan):rolleyes::)

Quackles wrote: »
    February is birthday month in our house - I turn 30 next week, my hubby turns 29 the following day.. my little toyboy ;) The only birth we had in January seemed pretty long and gloomy to me! You all good to go on Thursday? That's the 5th, isn't it? Another good day for me, it's the anniversary of the day we got engaged, 7 years ago this year.. I love February!

That's so funny. I wanted to have the section on the 4th as it's 3 years since my husband first told me he loved me at my friends 30th Birthday, ( will always remember her birthday). We had met 5 weeks earlier on New Years Eve. My only Niece is Feb 18th. So lots of important dates in Feb for me too! My hubby is 2 years younger than me - hee hee :D

Am pretty much set for Thursday. Will do a big post about it soon as a good thread on elective sections is needed.

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    That's so funny. I wanted to have the section on the 4th as it's 3 years since my husband first told me he loved me at my friends 30th Birthday, ( will always remember her birthday). We had met 5 weeks earlier on New Years Eve. My only Niece is Feb 18th. So lots of important dates in Feb for me too! My hubby is 2 years younger than me - hee hee :D

Am pretty much set for Thursday. Will do a big post about it soon as a good thread on elective sections is needed.

I'll look forward to reading it - I'd say the elective section is a different ballgame altogether to the emergency sections I'd have heard about before. I hope you get the birth experience you want!

Also, I must have been langered when my husband first told me he loved me, as I don't have a clue when it was :)

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    We had to come to a compromise.

The boys name goes without saying, it is my partners fathers name (Aidan) as he died and then I discovered I was pregnant so naturally we didn't even consider any other boys names.

But girls names was an open debate and it was very long. At first my OH wanted Caoimhe at first but we mentioned that to a person my OH knows who is Canadian and she said that in Canada it is a nasty and hurtful word to children so that got that out of his head. We then were arguing because I love Clodagh and he loves Aisling (which I like too but I prefer Clodagh) but I'm ot telling him that:) So we decided on an unusual name for an Irish Saint of February (Caoilfhinn) that we found in an old Irish names book.

His mother is going mental because she doesn't like our chosen names and since she doesn't like them she thinks she should decide. She got 2 words out of me! My baby, my decision. She is demanding something like Valerie or Molly and anything but Aidan for a boy (Jealous that we wanted to commemorate Aidan):rolleyes::)

My mother doesn't like bridget - jaypers it's not as if you picked Britney or something. How do you pronounce Caoilfhinn? Is it like quayveen or quayfen? Aiden is a really nice name and it's a wonderful tribute to your Father in law.

ps. My niece is Aedeamair ( which is another irish feb saint).

Yes getting really close now Grawns, sitting around the house myself doing nothing great as I am terrified of going into labour while my OH is in the gym or something.

Ya Feb is a big month in my life too, my bday the 8th (prob will go into labour that day:)) the baby is due the 12th and the grandmother is the 14th. So forget busy Feb, busy week i the middle of Feb:):D Also I have friends born on both the 17th and 18th of Feb:)

Its pronouced Quale-vin. the irish saint of the 3rd of Feb, I just liked it because it was unusual but sounds alot like Caoimhe.

Yes getting really close now Grawns, sitting around the house mysef doing nothing great as I am terrified of going into labour while my OH is in the gym or something.

Ya Feb is a big month in my life too, my bday the 8th (prob will go into labour that day:)) the baby is due the 12th and the grandmother is the 14th. So forget busy Feb, busy week i the middle of Feb:):D Also I have friends born on both the 17th and 18th of Feb:)

I'm the 9th, hubby is 10th, room mate from college is 13th, niece is 25th :) Go February!!

I just looked it up - I got off lightly on the name department, I was born on the feast of St. Appolonia!! Deirdre never looked so good to me!

Quackles wrote: »
    I'm the 9th, hubby is 10th, room mate from college is 13th, niece is 25th :) Go February!!

I just looked it up - I got off lightly on the name department, I was born on the feast of St. Appolonia!! Deirdre never looked so good to me!

Yes I thankfully got off lightly with Natalie. The grandmother is the 14th of Feb (Valentines day) and is livid she wasnt called Valerie, so now she wants our baby to be Valerie, all I can think of is Amy Winehouse when I hear that name! Or Valentine for a boy. Since Boards does not permit bad language I cannot repeat the words I said to her! It is the one time I actually got upset, the babies name is very important to any mother, people are not allowed butt in, as the baby's aunt said, short of Britney or Miley or something like that she can't wait to hear the final decision. (to be taken when baby is born):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Now i have to agree what you call your baby is up tp you.I hate the way people but in as if its anything to do with them.:DJust tell the oul mil to but out.She had her choice of names and now this your choice.So she either likes it or lumps it.

Yes I will never understand why people name a baby and then a few years later said they never liked the name to begin with. I really don't get that, my attitude is don't ever let anyone elses opinion cloud your own when it comes to naming your child. If you like it and it will not shame your child to within an inch of its life then thats your perogative!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I have a friend called caoilfhinn. Its pronounced Keel-Inn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Melion wrote: »

Yes that's how I thought it would be pronounced too. And is that not a boy's name??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

February seems to be a bumper birthday month - Rhiannon will be a whole 3 years old next Wednesday 11th.

My childminders grandson is called Keelin, nice name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

My family has load's of feb birthday's too,
    my dad,niece and nephew
    brother in law and father in law,
    we are alway's broke in Feb.

My mother in law want's a say in everything
    to do with my kid's,she even had her own list of name's.
    I thought it was sweet at first but her interest is shallow,
    she talk's to all her friend's about the kid's like she is the best nana
    in the world,but only want's to see them for an hour on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But might people struggle with Caoilfhinn ??? I worked with an 'Aoife' in England, & every day was a battle for her to correct people who inveriably called her 'Aiffe' or A-O-fie or anything except Eifa (Aoife).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gkellett

getz wrote: »
    i being a bronte fan have always loved the girls names anne,emily,and charlotte, but at the end of the day i had a boy and called him simon
    I actually named my twin daughters Bronte & Bracken. My son's name is Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Names are finalised i think.

Naomi for a girl and either Jayden or Rhys for a boy, she likes Jayden and i like Rhys.

I adore the name Rhys but unfortunatly it doesnt suit our surname :(

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

aoibhebree wrote: »
    Yes that's how I thought it would be pronounced too. And is that not a boy's name??

Caolfhionn can be used for a boy or for a girl.
    There's s girl I know called Caoilfhionn, and as far as I know it can be used for a boy also

On another note people struggle with most names anyway I have a relatively common simple surname yet people still get it wrong all the time.

I wouldn't be worried about that.

• Advertisement

Camelot, that is the problem with anyone choosing a name from their own country for a child, people in other parts of the world always find it hard to pronounce it, I once worked with Irish, Polish, Swedish, Spanish and British people all in the one job, and it took weeks for everyone to try and learn each others names. Sadly didnt get to learn everyones! :)

Jellybaby21 my OH surname (which will also be baby's surname) is Cahill, but recently people have started to pronouce it Kay-hill, it drives my OH mad!:):pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I adore the name Rhys but unfortunatly it doesnt suit our surname :(

My grandmother is welsh, i got a welsh name so id like my son(If it is a boy) to have one too. The only thing going against it is the girlfriend had a dog called Reese when she was younger.

Camelot, that is the problem with anyone choosing a name from their own country for a child, people in other parts of the world always find it hard to pronounce it,

I actually meant that many Irish people would struggle with 'Caolfhionnn', never mind people in other countries :))

But at least I now know its pronounced 'Keelinn' ............

Well I can well and truly say that whatever name I chose for a girl will be an Irish one, I think we have the nicest girls names. I have it narrowed to Caolfhionn, Aisling and Clodagh!, Clodagh being my favourite, my OH giving out because its the name of a river, I dont care I'm the one who goes through the pain so I get to have final say!!!!!:):D

Whatever name you choose, i'm sure it will be the right one.

By the way, I think most Irish names are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

My grandmother is welsh, i got a welsh name so id like my son(If it is a boy) to have one too. The only thing going against it is the girlfriend had a dog called Reese when she was younger.

Ah right, you might be able to talk her round though!
    My son is called Samuel, and once on the beach last year he was toddling over to a dog, and both me and the dogs owner called "Sam!" Ha ha!

I love Irish names. And as you said Camelot, no matter what you choose it suits the baby. Sure we can only wait an see, nothing is final til the hospital anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

We have Sam or Darragh picked for a boy,for girls I love,Ava and Lily,though dh hates Lily,so I think Lily is pretty much out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ah right, you might be able to talk her round though!
    My son is called Samuel, and once on the beach last year he was toddling over to a dog, and both me and the dogs owner called "Sam!" Ha ha!
    Sam's on our list of possibles, which was also the name of my first dog when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to our first scan next week, is it a Boy ? is it a Girl ?

Then we can really start concentrating on choosing the Name :))

Advertisement