Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Love Luke. Its on my list .
    Not too keen on Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think spelling it "Cate" would ultimately make things difficult for the child as she'd spend the time correcting people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I agree with Merkin re Cate. I think most people would just assume its spelt Kate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

pwurple wrote: »
    What do people think of Cate vs Kate? I've liked Kate for a while, but I know LOADS of them. My mum suggested Cate, but I'm thinking it's a bit celeb-following, with Cate Blanchette being the only time I've seen it used.

I don't know if your Irish or not but if so would you consider Cait? It was on my list for my baba but I went with Aifric. I think Cait is a lovely alternative . my granny and sister are both Kate. We all call my sister Katie though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't know if your Irish or not but if so would you consider Cait? It was on my list for my baba but I went with Aifric. I think Cait is a lovely alternative . my granny and sister are both Kate. We all call my sister Katie though

I do like Cait, but it wouldn't fit in the rest of the family. No other irish names amoungst us.

Maybe the long version .... Catherine.

I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cait is pronounced different to Kate though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

January wrote: »

Yeah it's pronounced Cawt or Cawtch

There are often families with just one with an irish name like Aoife or Siobhán or Sean and the rest english names though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I do like Cait, but it wouldn't fit in the rest of the family. No other irish names amoungst us.

Maybe the long version .... Catherine.

I dunno.

Or how about Cathy?

Lucuma wrote: »
    Yeah it's pronounced Cawt or Cawtch

There are often families with just one with an irish name like Aoife or Siobhán or Sean and the rest english names though?

I have a Saoirse and the rest are English names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

January wrote: »

Yeah it's Irish for Kate though so nice alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Re: Cate/Kate/Catherine, when we were naming our first I read in one of those naming books that it's better not to name a child by a diminutive but to use the full name, that way they can still be called by the name that you choose, but will have the choice of the full name when they're older. Make of that what you will. We went with the full name but always call him by the diminutive at home. In school they tend to use the full version so lots of his friends call him by that. He's pretty happy being either. We have a similar situation with our other son who gets called by his initials. He knows, responds to and refers to himself by both names interchangeably. You'd think it'd be confusing but apparently not.

We have a neighbour who's name us Kaydee as a full name alternative to Katie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Kate and Katie:)
    I don't like the sound of Cáit and don't like the look of Cate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My sister is due a baby is July, Kate is her girls name. I like it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love Kate and Katie:)
    I don't like the sound of Cáit and don't like the look of Cate.

Everyone calls my mother Cait and her names Kathleen
    Think that puts me off it a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

All the "oul wans" who stop to goo and gaa over my baby seem to very much approve of the name William Arthur!

They tell me it's a lovely, classic, traditional name.

I don't really care, he's my little William. :) No matter who likes it or who doesn't, it's who he is. :)

Just watching an episode of Criminal Minds now and the girl in it is named Cate. I always assumed Cate was a pet name for Catelynn. Stands well by itself too. Would be annoying to correct the spelling of perhaps, but she could always just said "It's Cate with a C" Easily done. I always just say "It's Natalie with no H" faster that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Im not pregnant or even trying but love reading this. When pregnant I had Gloria & Harriet for a girl(very old school!) Oh wanted Amy or Beth then a family member suggested Hannah I wasnt sold we had Noah Oscar or James for a boy but when she came along oh told mid wife & family members(who magically were on my ward after the delivery) that it was Hannah he loved it even up until delivery I was undecided and the girl Ziggy who delivered her almost became the baby namesake in my head! But love her name think if I have another I will keep the biblical (her middle name is very biblical!) Theme going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Just watching an episode of Criminal Minds now and the girl in it is named Cate. I always assumed Cate was a pet name for Catelynn. Stands well by itself too. Would be annoying to correct the spelling of perhaps, but she could always just said "It's Cate with a C" Easily done. I always just say "It's Natalie with no H" faster that way.

Do you actually have to say no H? That's mad... I thought the majority of people spell it your way. I always always have to say with the H. Lol. It doesn't bother me at all correcting people tho.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Do you actually have to say no H? That's mad... I thought the majority of people spell it your way. I always always have to say with the H. Lol. It doesn't bother me at all correcting people tho.

I let it go in Starbucks, though for some reason, they always seem to think I am saying Ashleigh:confused::confused::confused: but for banking and medical stuff, I say it to save time, some ask, others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks guys, I agree having to say "cate with a c" for the rest of her life might drive her nuts. I like the idea of using the long form catherine for the birth cert, and calling her kate, katie, cathy, cat, catherine, cait, or cate as we/she feels like. It's on the list. :D

• Advertisement

Yes!!!why on earth does it get mixed up as Ashleigh or Aisling!! Sounds nothing like it. I get Leslie a lot aswell!!! Can't understand it...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yes!!!why on earth does it get mixed up as Ashleigh or Aisling!! Sounds nothing like it. I get Leslie a lot aswell!!! Can't understand it...

Oh thank god, it's not just me, I thought I was slurring my speech or something. I even got called Lexie one day! I love it, but I was looking around as I was the only order, and it was what I asked for, but the name was beyond wrong!

Oh thank god, it's not just me, I thought I was slurring my speech or something. I even got called Lexie one day! I love it, but I was looking around as I was the only order, and it was what I asked for, but the name was beyond wrong!

Lol... I thought it was the way I was pronouncing it aswell... Lol... Good to know its everybody else that's wrong! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Would be annoying to correct the spelling of perhaps, but she could always just said "It's Cate with a C" Easily done. I always just say "It's Natalie with no H" faster that way.

It can get quite annoying though. My surname has a slightly different spelling than usual, like Murphy with an f instead of a ph. It is so repetitive that my friends and boyfriend will often refer to me as "Elle Murfy with an f". Until you have a name that you have to constantly correct people on, you don't realise how annoying it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

After I got married I realised they annoyance of having to correct my name. Its warren and everyone comes out with Moran so I'm never found on systems until they ask me to spell it then its oh sorry thought you said moran.. was OK for awhile but 2 years on grrrrrr

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My married surname is a name everyone in Ireland knows but not as a surname and I constantly have to repeat it,the kids have the irish version of it which is also the translation for about 10 other names.

I still have no boys names!! luckily we are pretty certain it is a girl though.

I like Aisling and Alannah they were the girls names chosen for the last if he was a girl!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My married surname is a name everyone in Ireland knows but not as a surname and I constantly have to repeat it,the kids have the irish version of it which is also the translation for about 10 other names.

I still have no boys names!! luckily we are pretty certain it is a girl though.

I like Aisling and Alannah they were the girls names chosen for the last if he was a girl!

Saoirse was nearly Aisling. Aidan was going to be if he was a girl.

I think if this little one was a girl we'd still be stuck on Clara... while I like it, I'm not in love with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh Clara is absolutely the most beautiful name, I just love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Thanks guys, I agree having to say "cate with a c" for the rest of her life might drive her nuts. I like the idea of using the long form catherine for the birth cert, and calling her kate, katie, cathy, cat, catherine, cait, or cate as we/she feels like. It's on the list. :D

My surname is relatively common when spelt with a 'y' at the end, but we're the only family in the country that spell it with an 'ie'. My whole life I've had to point it out but it's never been a bother, if anything I quite like having a name that's a bit different :)

Advertisement