Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh Clara is absolutely the most beautiful name, I just love it!

Himself loves it. Wouldn't even discuss other girl names! Thankfully we didn't debate over a boys name either...

I named our first.
    He named our second.
    Our third was kind of a moot point because his granny had died a few months before and we both kinda knew she'd be named after her, thankfully she did look like an Ellen when she was born!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Myself and herself are struggling for names for a girl but this thread is helping :).

We are thinking of Jake if we have a boy seems to be a name we have both taken a shine to.

Jake is lovely.

I loveeeee Phoebe for a girl but I'm not allowed name any girls Phoebe cos all my family hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Meah, if it's the name you want, go with it! :) They'll get used to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Meah, if it's the name you want, go with it! :) They'll get used to it!!

I agree, go with what you love and don't let others influence you too much. My sister's really didn't like one of the names I picked for my girls, and it was almost putting me off it. They were saying things like it's not fair because her sister has a much nicer name. But hubby and I had picked this name before we were even pregnant so I stuck to my guns. Since she has arrived, so many people have said they love her name. My sisters now have warmed to it too and said it does suit her. I don't know if the fact so many people love the name has influenced their liking of the name, but when they didn't like it, it did make me doubt our choice. For that reason sometimes it's good not to ask people's opinions beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Reading through the forums, some fantastic choices here!

I like the sound of Edith (Edie) or something a little less popular in recent times, Bridget.

For boys I'm leaning towards Oliver, Leo, Conrad? - recently met a guy in his 30s called Conrad.

And of course I have to throw in my Irish choices!

The girls - Róise, Cara, Eibhlín

The boys - Tadgh, Seán, Dáithí

Funnily enough, the only guy I've ever known called Conrad was a Polish fella. Would've always thought it was an Irish name. It's a really great name! :)

I actually love all the names you have suggested! Aoibhe is another lovely Irish girls name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Seems we've switched from Lori to Abigail :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Seems we've switched from Lori to Abigail :P
    Abigail is a lovely name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Clara is the name of the girl in the children's book Heidi isn't it? The girl in the wheelchair who makes a recovery and learns to walk in the fresh air up Heidi's mountain. Love it.

• Advertisement

I thought you were having a boy this time January? Or am I imagining that?

Though of course you can never know for sure from the scans. I've heard so many stories of them getting it wrong!

I thought you were having a boy this time January? Or am I imagining that?

Though of course you can never know for sure from the scans. I've heard so many stories of them getting it wrong!

Yep according to two different sonographers we're having a boy this time. We have been calling him Luke since about 5 days after the scan and have only bought blue (my sister has some neutral bits from when she had her baby in November) so we'll be royally up the creek if he comes out a girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Luca.

Too ..... Italian?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

evifeno wrote: »
    Luca.

Too ..... Italian?

That's a girls name isn't it. (I heard of a girl with it once before) I think it is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Depends on your last name?
    Can't exactly call him/her North if your last name is West?

Whats last name?

January wrote: »
    Yep according to two different sonographers we're having a boy this time. We have been calling him Luke since about 5 days after the scan and have only bought blue (my sister has some neutral bits from when she had her baby in November) so we'll be royally up the creek if he comes out a girl :p

Awww well from what I've read, it can often be wrong when they say it's a girl, but if they say it's a boy they're usually right! ;)

Congrats ... Luke is a gorgeous name!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I always thought of Luca as a boy's name (Luca Bloom) then Holly Valance (yer one who used to be in Neighbours) called her daughter Luca recently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I like Luka,it is a nice and slightly unusual name:)

ElleEm wrote: »
    I always thought of Luca as a boy's name (Luca Bloom) then Holly Valance (yer one who used to be in Neighbours) called her daughter Luca recently.

The only one I ever heard of was he daughter of Peter Facinelli (In nurse Jackie and was the doctor vampire in Twilight series)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Isaac ,Jacob ,Kensington

• Advertisement

I know two Lucas - both boys

I like both Isaac and Jacob.

I have heard the opposite re scanned boys turning out to be girls. I thought it was if it's thought to be a girl its fairly certain due to the absence of bits! So if you don't see a testicular sack or penis - girl. It's either there or not. Very unusual to see nothing and then for it to be a boy. However it has been known for the cord to be mistaken for a penis giving the false impression of a boy when in fact it's a girl. That's how it was explained to me anyway by one of the midwives taking care of me when I was in prior to the birth of my girls. I mentioned I was told it's girls and joked that if they were wrong there will be a couple of babies with gender identity issues given all the pink stuff we bought. The midwife explained that if you are told it's girls its less likely to be a boy than the other way round for the reasons I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I know two Lucas - both boys

I like both Isaac and Jacob.

I have heard the opposite re scanned boys turning out to be girls. I thought it was if it's thought to be a girl its fairly certain due to the absence of bits! So if you don't see a testicular sack or penis - girl. It's either there or not. Very unusual to see nothing and then for it to be a boy. However it has been known for the cord to be mistaken for a penis giving the false impression of a boy when in fact it's a girl. That's how it was explained to me anyway by one of the midwives taking care of me when I was in prior to the birth of my girls. I mentioned I was told it's girls and joked that if they were wrong there will be a couple of babies with gender identity issues given all the pink stuff we bought. The midwife explained that if you are told it's girls its less likely to be a boy than the other way round for the reasons I mentioned.

Funny, the two people I know of who were told the wrong sex were told girls and then found out towards the end of the pregnancy they were having boys.

I was told that sometimes boys bits take longer to develop ... so, sometimes women are told early on in the pregnancy that they're having girls, only to end up with boys!

Or they are just having boys who are not well endowed! Hopefully for the Mammies they don't take after their daddies! :p

I was told that sometimes boys bits take longer to develop ... so, sometimes women are told early on in the pregnancy that they're having girls, only to end up with boys!

Happened with Kerry Katona I think!

Actually was the other way around though, she was told she was having a boy but turns out it's a girl.

Jaysis, sure what didn't happen to that poor unfortunate! The scan pics were probably on exclusive to howaya magazine anyway! Great excuse for another headline! Lol

Actually was the other way around though, she was told she was having a boy but turns out it's a girl.

Happened to the lady in the bed next to me when I had Aidan, she had all blue bought for her son, only he turned out to be her daughter.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Happened to the lady in the bed next to me when I had Aidan, she had all blue bought for her son, only he turned out to be her daughter.

I think the first outfit shall be neutral just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm pretty sure that in the early stages, female genitalia and labia can be quite swollen and thus may resemble male genitalia on scans. Think this is why sometimes there are mix ups with parents being told their baby is a boy when in actual fact baby is a girl :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

My OH + his ex were told theirs was going to be a boy (by private scan in Swords) and out popped a girl.

Looked up KK story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2531572/Were-shock-Pregnant-Kerry-Katona-reveals-expecting-GIRL-initially-told-having-boy.html

I didn't even know she had moved onto her 3rd baby daddy. I have to say - decking out a nursery in blue after a 12 week scan ...come on a little premature!

Advertisement