Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I was told at 20 weeks that I was having a girl. At the 32 week scan, I was given a picture of her genitals to prove it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Happened to the lady in the bed next to me when I had Aidan, she had all blue bought for her son, only he turned out to be her daughter.
    January wrote: »
    I think the first outfit shall be neutral just in case!

I love blue. Its my favourite colour so no matter whether my little apple seed turns out to be a boy or a girl its going to have a lot of blue (and pale yellow and green) in its life......until it can voice an objection.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My cousin gave me some brand new unopened packets of 0-3 month vests that she had left over from her little girls, she wasn't going to give them to me just because they're pink! I was like, he's a baby, he's not going to know or care that pink is a "girls" colour!

He actually has very few blue clothes anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I love blue. Its my favourite colour so no matter whether my little apple seed turns out to be a boy or a girl its going to have a lot of blue (and pale yellow and green) in its life......until it can voice an objection.:P

I have my little girl in a lot of blue, there are loads of lovely blue dresses all the time. I also get a lot of oatmeal colours with blue ribbons and the like. Girl doesn't immediately equate to pink (thank goodness, I am not a fan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I have my little girl in a lot of blue, there are loads of lovely blue dresses all the time. I also get a lot of oatmeal colours with blue ribbons and the like. Girl doesn't immediately equate to pink (thank goodness, I am not a fan)

Me too. Don't think pink ever did anything for my colouring. She is currently expressing wishes for black clothes at the moment. Black is the current 'favourite colour. no idea why, but it's proving almost impossible to find black clothes for a 3 year old. I have one black dress and a black pair of shoes for her. That's about it.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Me too. Don't think pink ever did anything for my colouring. She is currently expressing wishes for black clothes at the moment. Black is the current 'favourite colour. no idea why, but it's proving almost impossible to find black clothes for a 3 year old. I have one black dress and a black pair of shoes for her. That's about it.

My boy is 5 next week, and he is obsessed with yellow! Where am I supposed to get yellow clothes. I am lucky his dad is from Clare, he loves his Clare jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I find it very hard to dress the boys.Its all teh same wiht skull or monsters.Luckily 2 love Spiderman and the other loves Batman so i keep my eye out for that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm going for my gender scan in two weeks and I'll be asking for the potty shot as one of my prints. I have a few friends who would be sonographers and if there is unanimous confirmation, then I'll buy by colour. Dying to know so I can start knitting!

dubstarr wrote: »
    I find it very hard to dress the boys.Its all teh same wiht skull or monsters.Luckily 2 love Spiderman and the other loves Batman so i keep my eye out for that kind of stuff.

Tesco is great for these things thankfully. :) It's the only place I have found Minions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Asda as well are great,i got a georgous Spiderman jacket for the youngest at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

LordSutch wrote: »
    Teenagers being teenagers, she might well end up being called 'Cameleon' in a few years time? and as for travelling abroad, it migh be a pretty impenetrable name to many ?

Just a thought.

My name is Caoimhleann and after living 17 years with such an 'impenetrable' name, it's safe to say I've never been called 'Cameleon'..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

What's everyone's thoughts on Camille? It's my OH's first choice. I hated it initially but for some reason I keep saying it, think it's growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

emz8 wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on Camille? It's my OH's first choice. I hated it initially but for some reason I keep saying it, think it's growing on me.

Such a pretty name :) and I should imagine not very common.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My name is Caoimhleann and after living 17 years with such an 'impenetrable' name, it's safe to say I've never been called 'Cameleon'..

Caoilfhionn is my husbands favourite girls name and Caolán for a boy.
    He got his Caolán though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm leaning towards Fionn or Fionnan for a boy, does anyone know if there should be a fada in Fionnan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yes there would be a fada on the last a because it's Fionn-awn so the a is elongated therefore a fada:
    Fionnán (cntrl+alt+a)

Lucuma wrote: »
    Yes there would be a fada on the last a because it's Fionn-awn so the a is elongated therefore a fada:
    Fionnán (cntrl+alt+a)
    Thanks Lucuma, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I was spelling it right. It's a pet peeve of mine when people choose Irish names and then spell them the angliscised way.

On the same theme, I was looking Fionn up on an Irish baby names website and they were pronouncing it Finn, I would have pronounced it 'Fyun'. Are both correct pronounciations?

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks Lucuma, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I was spelling it right. It's a pet peeve of mine when people choose Irish names and then spell them the angliscised way.

On the same theme, I was looking Fionn up on an Irish baby names website and they were pronouncing it Finn, I would have pronounced it 'Fyun'. Are both correct pronounciations?

Yes, both pronunciations are correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Dylan and Luke have been our names now for months but lately im really liking the name Dara. OH thinks its ok.
    I keep saying it in my head. What do people think. Also which way would you spell it Dara or Daragh or should that be Darragh.

Suucee wrote: »
    Dylan and Luke have been our names now for months but lately im really liking the name Dara. OH thinks its ok.
    I keep saying it in my head. What do people think. Also which way would you spell it Dara or Daragh.

I myself like Daragh more, but Dara is short and most people will assume it to be that. I think it's a lovely name :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

We're committed to Luke and Katie now.
    Luke since the start but Katie is new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bumpy is Luke too :) Popular name!

We've been told it's a boy, so no girls name picked but himself is hell bent on Clara if it does turn out to be a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I prefer Darragh by the way... but would probably go with Dara because it's the most commonly spelled way and people will assume it is that spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Luke's a lovely name for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ah ye have not helped much. Synyster funny we had Katie or lily picked for our daughter and shee ended up aoife.
    Think we will have to wait and see what he looks like. We knew our daughter wasnt a katie or lily even though we were so set on those names all through the pregnancy.
    Yea think spelling wise we would probably go with Dara. OH has a unusual name and it has to be spelt every time for everything so he is not very keen on anything unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

January wrote: »

We've been told it's a boy, so no girls name picked but himself is hell bent on Clara if it does turn out to be a girl.

Adore the name Clara! So pretty and feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Suucee wrote: »
    I keep saying it in my head. What do people think. Also which way would you spell it Dara or Daragh or should that be Darragh.

I'd spell it Darragh for a boy or Dara for a girl? Maybe that's just the Darraghs/Daras I've known though!

I would always spell it Daragh, any Daraghs I know are spelt that way. The only exception I can think of is Dara o'Brien and I thought he just changed it when he went to the UK. I'd personally go with Daragh, think Dara looks a bit incomplete or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The Irish word 'dara' means oak. Another Irish spelling of it is Daire. Any anglicised spelling of it I'm familiar with has a double 'r' in it - Darragh. I always think that the -agh at the end would make people pronounce it "Darrach".

It's a great name - simple and pronounced the way it's spelt, unusually for Irish names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

The Irish word 'dara' means oak. Another Irish spelling of it is Daire. Any anglicised spelling of it I'm familiar with has a double 'r' in it - Darragh. I always think that the -agh at the end would make people pronounce it "Darrach".

It's a great name - simple and pronounced the way it's spelt, unusually for Irish names.

The literal translation is 'second or second son'

My daughter (17) is called Dara and this spelling is generally(not exclusively) used for female form in modern era

Advertisement