Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

[uote="Hank Schrader;89227791"]The literal translation is 'second or second son'

My daughter (17) is called Dara and this spelling is generally(not exclusively) used for female form in modern era[/quote]

That's gas, it's my brother's name and I've a degree in Irish and it's never occurred to me that 'dara' was the Irish for 'second' as well! Technically, MacDara would be second son.

It's lovely as a girl's name too imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't like names like Dara that can be used for a girl/boy.
    Especially if it's for a boy.
    Also throw in Lesley, Vivian, Valentine etc.

My opinion only, but no boy wants a girlie name.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I get what you are saying about Vivian/Vivien, Valentine, Lesley/Leslie but I don't think Dara is a girly name in the slightest.

Funnily I actually like names that sound 'boyish' for girls such as Tony/ Toni, Jamie, Billy, Charlie (a friend of mine has a sister called Charlene and has always been called Charlie and it suits her perfectly and was really cute when she was a tot).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was watching a property program during the week and there was a male Lindsay in it! I'd never come across that as a mans name before. It's amazing how much you notice names when you're trying to come up with baby names!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

ncmc wrote: »
    I was watching a property program during the week and there was a male Lindsay in it! I'd never come across that as a mans name before. It's amazing how much you notice names when you're trying to come up with baby names!
    Fleetwood Mac has Lindsey Buckingham (male) and Stevie Nicks (female)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Were pretty much settled on Jake for a boy, been struggling for girls names but came across Chloe today and both of us have taken a bit of a shine to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Were pretty much settled on Jake for a boy, been struggling for girls names but came across Chloe today and both of us have taken a bit of a shine to it.

I love the name Chloe. We are having a Lilly. But will know for sure when we see her and if we think the name is a bit too popular... We may have a Chloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

We've got a Daire at home, although he's 19 now. At first people pronounced his name 'dar-ee' but now almost everyone he meets gets his name right first time. I guess the name Daire is a bit like Naoise. Primarily a male name but noticing more females popping up with the same name.

Also any thoughts on Rossa?

*Que Morbeg theme music* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I know a couple of girls with the spelling Daire/Dara

The boys seem to be Dara/Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yeah I'd go for the traditionally most common spelling of Darragh for a boy.
    And Dara for a girl.

I like Rossa evifeno. Also like Daire alot for a boy, think it has a lot of character.

I would spell Lily with 1 L? Maybe coz that's how the flower is spelled and that's how Lily Allen spells it ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Lucuma wrote: »

I would spell Lily with 1 L? Maybe coz that's how the flower is spelled and that's how Lily Allen spells it ;o)

Yea was wondering how we would spell Lilly as it can be spelt either way. Decided on the 2 Ls as I think it looks nicer and is a tiny bit different :). Lol

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yea was wondering how we would spell Lilly as it can be spelt either way. Decided on the 2 Ls as I think it looks nicer and is a tiny bit different :). Lol

Well it's originally short for Lillian so 2 Ls makes sense in that regard.

Those with 1 L can say they're named after the flower :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

What is it with Grandas-to-be and names?! We live in Philadelphia and I've been jokingly referring to the little bean as 'Rocky'. When we were telling his parents the news on skype, I mentioned that we were calling the bean 'Rocky'. His dad thought I was serious. His face was hilarious! caught between absolute horror and not wanting to let on! And, not so amusing, when I emailed my parents a scan I called it 'pic of Rocky' and said in the email that it is a nickname. My dad replied saying he was awful worried we were serious. I may have some fun with this... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What is it with Grandas-to-be and names?! We live in Philadelphia and I've been jokingly referring to the little bean as 'Rocky'. When we were telling his parents the news on skype, I mentioned that we were calling the bean 'Rocky'. His dad thought I was serious. His face was hilarious! caught between absolute horror and not wanting to let on! And, not so amusing, when I emailed my parents a scan I called it 'pic of Rocky' and said in the email that it is a nickname. My dad replied saying he was awful worried we were serious. I may have some fun with this... :D

I had my parents and his parents convinced we were calling the baby Ichabod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

January wrote: »
    I had my parents and his parents convinced we were calling the baby Ichabod :D

That's a good one! Moby Dick would be proud :D

A question for the Irish speakers, which is the correct spelling of this name, Rian or Riain? And is there a fada? I'm assuming it's pronounced Ree-an?

A question for the Irish speakers, which is the correct spelling of this name, Rian or Riain? And is there a fada? I'm assuming it's pronounced Ree-an?

I don't know about that name specifically, but in general the irish for King is Ri with a fada (sorry my pc can't do fadas!) and is pronounced as Ree.
    But then the irish for knife is scian which doesn't have a fada and is pronounced as Skee-an
    So if you compare Rian to Scian
    Skee-an
    Ree-an
    I'd say you can spell it as Rian, pronounce it as Ree-an and don't need a fada. That's my twopence worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Not an irish speaker but from my limited knowledge. ...
    If you want to pronounce it ree-an you can either spell it rían or rian. Rí being irish for king and Rian (with or without fada) being little king. As said the fada can be left out as ia gives the ee sound. However if youwant to pronounce it ree-awn it should be rián with fada on the a as it is unusual to have 2 consecutive fada. BUT if you want to pronounce it Ryan then its Riain (well technically you should pronounce it ry-awn but in modern day its considered the irish spelling of ryan).

BUT if you want to pronounce it Ryan then its Riain (well technically you should pronounce it ry-awn but in modern day its considered the irish spelling of ryan).

Which begs the question, why is a modern irish spelling of Ryan needed.
    How about just spelling Ryan as ......Ryan ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I have loved the name Daisy for so long - my son was going to be Daisy if he was a girl...
    I loved the name so much I called it to our new terrier last year...
    Which means I can't use it on my baby (if it's a girl....)..and I'm ragin:mad:

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    I have loved the name Daisy for so long - my son was going to be Daisy if he was a girl...
    I loved the name so much I called it to our new terrier last year...
    Which means I can't use it on my baby (if it's a girl....)..and I'm ragin:mad:

I'm sure the dog won't mind if you change its name......
    Just ask nicely and offer a few treats/walks to make up for the inconvenience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Love this name. Also love Rionnach. Had it on my list when I was pregnant. Name of Niall of the nine hostages wife as far as I know...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

So generally in my experience Ríain is the surname Ryan and Rian is the boys name name. Rian as a word has a few meanings (path,mark or trace) but the name derives from Ri which means King.
    SOmeone on the Gaeilge forum might have a better insight for you though.

Love this name. Also love Rionnach. Had it on my list when I was pregnant. Name of Niall of the nine hostages wife as far as I know...
    Problem is my DH hates Irish names :( He nearly died when I suggested Tiarnach (name of a saint who set up the monastary in my home town) so I am trying to come with simpler Irish names that he might compromise on... so far it's not working :mad:

Moonbeam wrote: »
    So generally in my experience Ríain is the surname Ryan and Rian is the boys name name. Rian as a word has a few meanings (path,mark or trace) but the name derives from Ri which means King.
    SOmeone on the Gaeilge forum might have a better insight for you though.
    Thanks Moonbeam, I would have spelled it Rian myself, but saw someone on another forum spell it Riain so was second guessing myself! I love Irish names, but am paranoid about getting the spelling right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Problem is my DH hates Irish names :( He nearly died when I suggested Tiarnach (name of a saint who set up the monastary in my home town) so I am trying to come with simpler Irish names that he might compromise on... so far it's not working :mad:

My husband wasn't too keen either but I kept flinging them out until one stuck with him lol on my son I won him over with Senan and then my daughter (to my complete and utter shock) Aifric was the winner lol I wanted them to have Irish names because they will more than likely be going to the Gael scoil in our village

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

My hubby isn't Irish and thought I said fecal instead of fiachra so that kinda put a stop to me choosing Irish names lol.. Thought I wanted to name the child $hit head Bahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Tiarnach is just about as bad a name as I could think of

Tiarnach is just about as bad a name as I could think of
    Ok, that's good to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Cathal, Sean, Daire, Liam, Ronan, Cian, Conor - simple, easy to spell and pronounce. You'll hit one he likes eventually!

Advertisement