Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Tiarnach is just about as bad a name as I could think of

Ah, I like Tiarnach. Haven't heard it before.
    I'm also a fan of irish names, I just like the sound of a lot of them. my other half isn't that keen on them but I'll just have to work on him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

Tadhg, Conn and Róise. That's all I like so far! Fear of Conn becoming 'Connie' down the line though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

evifeno wrote: »
    Tadhg, Conn and Róise. That's all I like so far! Fear of Conn becoming 'Connie' down the line though...

I had Conall with the expectation that it would be shortened to con. Maybe start with the long name and shorten it so If people feel the need to lengthen it they will use the correct name :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

evifeno wrote: »

Lovely names. I love, love, love Tadhg and have dreamed about having a baby called Tadhg for years. Have to put dream to one side now though as doc showed me bub's little labia in the last scan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Tadhg?
    Are u serious?
    Everybody has there own likes and dislikes but Tadhg is just awful IMO.
    It's an old mans name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Tadhg is one of those names that you need to give an English clear middle name with, so he can use it if he goes travelling and people abroad think that Tadhg sounds like something you cough up as opposed to an actual name. I do think it's one of the worse Irish names, it's just an odd sound to me, but nobody likes every name. I love many Irish names that others think are just weird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

A neighbours son is called Brannagh..I thinks its really nice ..helps that hes a lovely little fella as I tend to dislike some names if Im not mad about people who have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I can honestly say, without exception, that I've never come across an Irish name I actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Merkin wrote: »
    I can honestly say, without exception, that I've never come across an Irish name I actually like.

I think Aisling is the only bearable one....even then I would never actually use it. Not a fan of Irish names myself. I find them a bit harsh.
    I can't think of any boys names that I would use either though.....so I'm screwed if I ever have a boy! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I don't mind Sean but all other Irish names I find v.hard on the ear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was the same, but have found myself falling in love with the softness of the name Oran.

The names that i don't like (that were really popular when i was in primary/secondary school) are names like Sarah, Nicola, Lisa, Donna, Laura, Julia etc....I think they are so unimaginative and plain.

i find irish names full of character compared to those type of names. i'd have to say though i would also draw the line at Tiarnach. Sounds like a good name for a saint but for a little boy.....i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Tadhg?
    Are u serious?
    Everybody has there own likes and dislikes but Tadhg is just awful IMO.
    It's an old mans name!

Statements like this drive me mad. Kids are small and cute for about 10 years max before they hit the awkward tween stage. Any Tadhg's out there will be grown men and indeed old men for FAR longer than they'll be cute little munchkins.

I definitely think going for older sounding names is better, rather than going for something babyish like Jett, Princess, Dolly and other celeb-esque names.

So Tadhg being an old mans name makes it a very good name imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I don't think its an old man name...a horrible name, but not an especially old manish name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Jesus I'd hate to be reading this if I were called Tadhg!

Jesus I'd hate to be reading this if I were called Tadhg!

I'd just hate to be called Tadhg! But then agsin, I'm female so it would be a bit weird!

I think it's good if opinion is divided about my favourite boy's name ....keeps it out of the top 20 most popular names list! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Tadhg is also one of my favourite boys names, but hubby vetoed it :(

We went with the wonderful face maker of Eli. Either people love it and smile or frown and say 'interesting/unusual name'. Or people who read it first and never heard it pronounced call him Ellie. Thats a girls name! Grrr.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Lucuma wrote: »
    The names that i don't like (that were really popular when i was in primary/secondary school) are names like Sarah, Nicola, Lisa, Donna, Laura, Julia etc....I think they are so unimaginative and plain.

i find irish names full of character compared to those type of names. i'd have to say though i would also draw the line at Tiarnach. Sounds like a good name for a saint but for a little boy.....i dunno

Sarah has been around for three thousand years plus, must be something in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Tadhg is also one of my favourite boys names, but hubby vetoed it :(

We went with the wonderful face maker of Eli. Either people love it and smile or frown and say 'interesting/unusual name'. Or people who read it first and never heard it pronounced call him Ellie. Thats a girls name! Grrr.....

Love Eli, not very fond of Tadhg personally but y'know what.... I've met several (adult) Tadhg's in my time, and not once has it occurred to me to think, ''horrible name!'' People just become their name, the only time people *think* it's okay to judge/slag off/criticise a name seems to be during pregnancy! If you introduced your new son to someone as Tadhg, nobody (well, almost nobody!) would screw up their nose and say, ''oh no - I don't like that!'' but everyone seems to think it's okay to do before the child makes an appearance ;) It's for that reason I kept our choices under wraps (and because the shortlist wasn't finalised until I was in labour!) Weirdly, I've gone off all the names we had on the shortlist - our son's name was a last minute addition; all the other names now don't seem half as nice. We'll have a tough job coming up with name #2!!

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    Love Eli, not very fond of Tadhg personally but y'know what.... I've met several (adult) Tadhg's in my time, and not once has it occurred to me to think, ''horrible name!'' People just become their name, the only time people *think* it's okay to judge/slag off/criticise a name seems to be during pregnancy! If you introduced your new son to someone as Tadhg, nobody (well, almost nobody!) would screw up their nose and say, ''oh no - I don't like that!'' but everyone seems to think it's okay to do before the child makes an appearance ;) It's for that reason I kept our choices under wraps (and because the shortlist wasn't finalised until I was in labour!) Weirdly, I've gone off all the names we had on the shortlist - our son's name was a last minute addition; all the other names now don't seem half as nice. We'll have a tough job coming up with name #2!!

This is so true. My sisters hated one of my choices but both me and my hubby loved it. I had another name I was considering which they loved. They were actually really going out of their way to let me know how much they disliked our first choice. We stuck to our guns and now they can't imagine my daughter being called anything else and admit her name really suits her. I was worried though cos they kept saying 'it's not fair to give one twin a gorgeous name and the other a blah name'. However we have had so many compliments on both names - and I don't just mean 'ah lovely' which people feel obliged to say, but people being really enthusiastic in their approval of the names. So very glad we stuck to our guns and didn't let others convince us otherwise.

BTW I really like Eli. I also love Eliot, Isaac, Jacob, Oscar (although last two are a bit overused now), Nathan...clearly I am very fond of old middle eastern/biblical names!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Since myself and the girlfriend now know were having a girl it's gotten harder both of us found it much easier picking boys names.

At the moment Chloe seems to be the favourite though.

Know someone who recently called there child Ayla Faith which I think is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

We found out were having a girl. We had loads of boys names thinking we'd have another one so very little thought on girls names.
    We have Lucy and Katy but knowing its a girls I'm second guessing. I also like Sophia and Charlie. We used to love Shayla too. But knowing for sure that we need to pick one has me rethinking alot.

Any thoughts on similar or alternatives?

Since myself and the girlfriend now know were having a girl it's gotten harder both of us found it much easier picking boys names.

At the moment Chloe seems to be the favourite though.

Know someone who recently called there child Ayla Faith which I think is horrendous.

I like Ayla. Its a turkish name pronounced aye-la same as Isla the celtic name. I know a few turkish/irish couples with Ayla's and Ela/Ellas - again a name in both languages.

We found out were having a girl. We had loads of boys names thinking we'd have another one so very little thought on girls names.
    We have Lucy and Katy but knowing its a girls I'm second guessing. I also like Sophia and Charlie. We used to love Shayla too. But knowing for sure that we need to pick one has me rethinking alot.

Any thoughts on similar or alternatives?

I like Sophia. I know a female Charlie - her name is actually Charlotte but was always such a little tomboy that Charlie suited her better. Lucy and Katy are nice, nothing to offend or dislike but very common. Shayla I don't like at all - sounds like an American makey-uppy name!

I like Ayla. Its a turkish name pronounced aye-la same as Isla the celtic name. I know a few turkish/irish couples with Ayla's and Ela/Ellas - again a name in both languages.

Sorry I like the name Ayla myself it's the double barrel of it to Ayla Faith I don't like ;)

Sorry I like the name Ayla myself it's the double barrel of it to Ayla Faith I don't like ;)

Probably will give up using the second part after a few months!

Probably will give up using the second part after a few months!

Possibly but there name will still be Ayla Faith I'm just not a fan of any double barrell names to be honest.

Possibly but there name will still be Ayla Faith I'm just not a fan of any double barrell names to be honest.

My girls have 2 names. Not double barrelled though, two separate names. My own name is the same, two names no middle name, no hyphen. I like my name. I am known by my first name mainly as are my girls. The names have meaning to us, both parts. I kind of don't get 'middle' names as in a name you have but aren't supposed to use. By giving a two part (but no hyphen) name you can use both or just one. I prefer that but its just a personal preference.

not. Keen on matching Ayla with Faith though - doesn't flow very well IMO.

when I was in having my girls there was a baby on the ward called Lilly Ann. And both parts used. Just sounded like the baby was called Lillian! Didn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Sarai for a girl.
    Jude for a boy.

Advertisement