Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

sopretty wrote: »
    Sarai for a girl.
    Jude for a boy.

Judy for a boy?
    Why don't you call him Sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Judy for a boy?

Jude is a boys name.

Jude is a boys name.

Sure it is ;)

Try telling that to 8 year olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Sure it is ;)

Try telling that to 8 year olds!

Jude law?

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Jude law?

Exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Judy for a boy?

She said Jude not Judy.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    She said Jude not Judy.

I can read as well as your good self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I am not pregnant, but we have Jude picked for a boy the last few years!

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Jude law?

Fine bit of schtuff. :cool:

Donnacha is another name I like (my father reckoned he'd sound like a 'thick auld c***) lol. :eek:

Also like Tadhg and have a cousin called Tadhg.

If Jude is 6' 2, nobody will mess with him nor his mate Tadhg. :p

Fine bit of schtuff. :cool:

Donnacha is another name I like (my father reckoned he'd sound like a 'thick auld c***) lol. :eek:

Also like Tadhg and have a cousin called Tadhg.

If Jude is 6' 2, nobody will mess with him nor his mate Tadhg. :p

...True
    But if he's 5-7?...

• Advertisement

...True
    But if he's 5-7?...

Well he's f***ed then anyway lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm a male and if my parents had called me Jude I probably would have disowned them years ago :pac

Besides being teased for it being girly also got to think what could it be shortened to first one that sprang to mind for me could also lead to them being slagged or some awkward moments with kids not understanding how it sounds really.

I'm a male and if my parents had called me Jude I probably would have disowned them years ago :pac

Besides being teased for it being girly also got to think what could it be shortened to first one that sprang to mind for me could also lead to them being slagged or some awkward moments with kids not understanding how it sounds really.

How is it girly? It's a man's name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can read as well as your good self.

*mod note*
    If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation then please refrain from posting here.
    Consider this a warning.

How is it girly? It's a man's name.

I'm not sure you will find many grown men who would agree with that. Most men would say it's a feminine sounding name one Jude Law doesn't change that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Jude is 100% a boys name! He was a brother of St James and is the saint of hopeless causes (he could have his work cut out with some of the posters on this thread!) Also the song 'Hey Jude' I believe is about John Lennons son Julian. I grew up with a Jude and never considered it girly or unisex.

ncmc wrote: »
    Jude is 100% a boys name! He was a brother of St James and is the saint of hopeless causes (he could have his work cut out with some of the posters on this thread!) Also the song 'Hey Jude' I believe is about John Lennons son Julian. I grew up with a Jude and never considered it girly or unisex.

Most wouldn't agree with you I'd imagine.

Of course Jude is a male name. Didn't Judas betray Jesus three times. He was a man as far as I recall. :P Jude is a derivative of that name.

I suspect Judy was an attempt to feminise the name Jude in honour of the saint.

Btw - love that song Hey Jude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Yeah, I would never consider it a girly name. It is a man's name! I love how it sounds and also love that it is uncommon.

Really? I think most would assume Jude is a boys name. The most famous Jude's I can think of are all male, St Jude, Jude Law, Jude the Obscure, Hey Jude... I'm sure it is used as a womans name occassionally, but I would think most people would think 'male' as soon as they heard it.

• Advertisement

Here's one for eyescreamcone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDdI7GhZSQA

ElleEm wrote: »
    I love how it sounds and also love that it is uncommon.

Also love how it sounds. Good robust vowel sound lol.
    I have a daughter, but prayed to St. Jude throughout the pregnancy. If she was a boy, she would have been Jude. :cool:
    She's a girl, and there is a pretty famous song featuring her name also. (Though I spell it differently).

I must have been unduly influenced by songs during my pregnancy! :)

How would you pronounce Ayla?
    I-la?
    I don't like the Ayla Faith as a name at all or Tiarnach,I am not a fan of most biblical names either but I do like Leah.
    My kids have irish names but if you dig back far enough with baba bumps name it goes back to hebrew origins,there are also some irish names i can not stand,and I was not too fond of my sons name but himself loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I think eyescreamcone is having a bit of craic with ye. Don't feed the troll.

Anyone have any opinions on Chloe?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Jude I do think most men given the choice would opposse the name being given to them though. The fact it has religious connotations probably sways me against it even more : pac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jude is a male name, and a very nice one. sounds strong, easy to spell, and the huge bonus of a saints name (as i have found with my child's name) is that it is recognisable in loads of christian countries, no matter what language they speak! My daughter's name is the same in Amharic , so our ethiopian friends ( orthodox c) could recognise it too. I wouldn't worry about the uninformed.

I like Chloe too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I like Chloe, I just don't like the way some Dubs would pronounce... you know the inner city type accent...

If you love a name, stick to your guns, I changed my mind on my second daughter because everyone said they hated our choice. I was in love with that name and still am. It was Phoebe. We called her Saoirse in the end and while the name suits her down to the ground and is a beautiful name I still wish I'd gone with Phoebe. My family tried to do the same this time, we're naming this baby Luke and they all hated it but we stood our ground and now even though he's not here yet, he's already Luke and will never be anything else (unless he pops out and is a girl!).

Chloe is a nice name. As far as I know though, it is a German name and should have umlauts on the e. I think!!!!
    I love using foreign names, but not Anglicising them.
    I could be wrong about Chloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

January wrote: »
    I like Chloe, I just don't like the way some Dubs would pronounce... you know the inner city type accent...

If you love a name, stick to your guns, I changed my mind on my second daughter because everyone said they hated our choice. I was in love with that name and still am. It was Phoebe. We called her Saoirse in the end and while the name suits her down to the ground and is a beautiful name I still wish I'd gone with Phoebe. My family tried to do the same this time, we're naming this baby Luke and they all hated it but we stood our ground and now even though he's not here yet, he's already Luke and will never be anything else (unless he pops out and is a girl!).

When I became pregnant a close friend of mine said not to bother discussing names with anyone as everyone has an opinion and feels it fitting to give their (usually negative!) opinion without being asked!! Grrrrr! Luke is a lovely name btw.

• Advertisement

I agree January. Everyone has an opinion and isn't backwards about telling you if they hate the name you've chosen. As someone pointed out previously, no one would dream of saying it to a parent when the child is born but it seems to be fair game when you're still pregnant. I've gone off a few names that I've loved because of people's reactions, namely my mother! She doesn't mean anything by it, but she's quite traditional names wise and I don't want to name the baby something she'll hate.

Even on this thread, there are people whose only contribution is to rubbish other peoples name choices. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is the pregnancy forum, there are people genuinely considering naming their child these names only for some people to make jokes and slag off the name.

I'm telling people my short list, but think at this stage I'll wait til the baby arrives to announce the name. At that stage people can stuff their opinions!

Advertisement