Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I like Annabelle but have a friend with a little girl named Anna and im pretty sure she'd be bull thick if I called the baby any form of Anna.

Amelia was up there for a girl but when we saw it had become so popular it kind of put me of!!!

Henry, Daniel and Odin are possible boy names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I like Odin!

He even has his own day named after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My names Sinéad and not many put the fada there I actually am surprised when on the phone they sometimes ask is that with a fada.. Anyway I don't bother making a fuss about it all my family get it right so I'm happy..

Oh and I LOVE Daniel for a boy but I have a jack so can't.. My lot would have a field day with that

Jack and Daniel go lovely together. They really do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

dizzymiss wrote: »
    I like Annabelle but have a friend with a little girl named Anna and im pretty sure she'd be bull thick if I called the baby any form of Anna.

Amelia was up there for a gurl but when we saw it had become so popular it kind of put me of!!!

Henry, Daniel and Odin are possible boy names.

Daniel is a lovely name but it's top 5 as well if you're concerned about that.
    I think it's gas that Amelia is in the top 5. When I was growing up there was one Amelia in our small country village in the 80s and it was considered an exotic name. She was from an alternative green-leaning family that named all their kids with unusual names. Now it's in top 5!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dolbert wrote: »
    Yeah that would be correct IMO. It seems that people take a lot of artistic licence when it comes to pronouncing Irish names though :pac:

As I said my Irish is ****e! So imagine the poor child when they travel or meet non Irish speakers, considering I can have a light conversation in Irish and I'm brutal when reading it! :D

Lucuma wrote: »
    Daniel is a lovely name but it's top 5 as well if you're concerned about that.
    I think it's gas that Amelia is in the top 5. When I was growing up there was one Amelia in our small country village in the 80s and it was considered an exotic name. She was from an alternative green-leaning family that named all their kids with unusual names. Now it's in top 5!

The popularity of a name only bothers me because I dont like the idea of my kids being in a classroom with five plus other children of the same name. Might sound silly but it's just one of those things that bugs me.

What were Amelia's sibling's named?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I like Charlotte for a girl but I'd be afraid people would shorten it to Charlie. I've lots on the girls list, just not too many on the boys side. I'm hoping I'll get inspiration on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard this one today and loved it, can't see it going down well here though! What do we think of Polly? :o

I love Polly unusual enough but at least you can spell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Dirin rhymes with mirin in my experience

I know a Doireann and agreed, it's pronounced dirren like mirren! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

You pronounce it thigh... As in the Top of your leg

Funny the variations! I know a couple of Tadhgs and never heard that pronunciation of it. It's always been tie-ge ( forgive the poor phonetic spelling but the "g" is full on, not silent!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Any Tadgh I know is Tieg, the g kind of runs into the tie... it's a hard g sound though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I heard this one today and loved it, can't see it going down well here though! What do we think of Polly? :o

First thing I think of is the Nirvana song 'Polly wants a cracker....'

It's typically a name for a parrot isn't it? But it's a pretty name nonetheless.

I like Polly I had Polly pockets when younger...
    Also like Penny

I want Shea or Cory
    Zoey or Sara (number 2 isn't 8 weeks yet)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

You pronounce it thigh... As in the Top of your leg
    Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I only ever hear it pronounced Thige! Never as Thi. Must be serious regional variations with that name! :)
    I'd pronounce it like Tiger but without the "er", if that makes sense! :D

I'm nothewiser to be honest! :P

But thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm nothewiser to be honest! :P

But thanks for all your help :)

For the ultimate pronunciation of Tadgh, go to 4:01 in:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 frankieufc777

this name is the best its BABY

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We've ages to go yet but we're finding it hard to even start! I don't like any names. I read them or hear them think "oh that's nice" put it onto our baby and suddenly don't like it anymore. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Whispered wrote: »
    We've ages to go yet but we're finding it hard to even start! I don't like any names. I read them or hear them think "oh that's nice" put it onto our baby and suddenly don't like it anymore. :o

Haha
    It's when people say "that's an interesting name" when u introduce little Archibald Erasmus.

You feel even the smallest slight very much.
    It's all part of the game tho
    Pick something u like and run with it.

Fcuk the begrudgers as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I actually know a little Archie - and it suits him down to the ground! So cute and will grow with him. It's not one I'd have ever considered before meeting the little chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I like Polly I had Polly pockets when younger...
    Also like Penny

I want Shea or Cory
    Zoey or Sara (number 2 isn't 8 weeks yet)

Isn't Shea Tyrian lannisters whore in Game of thrones? Sorry...... Is it a boys name now too?

Whispered wrote: »
    I actually know a little Archie - and it suits him down to the ground! So cute and will grow with him. It's not one I'd have ever considered before meeting the little chap.

I met a little Archie too! Named after his dad if I remember correctly! Also he had red hair and I thought it really suited him too!

Isn't Shea Tyrian lannisters whore in Game of thrones? Sorry...... Is it a boys name now too?

Yeah I knew it as a man's before I watched game of thrones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I would always have thought that Shea was a boy's name ... never watched GoT!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My brother is Shay! I think it's a lovely name .

I would always have thought that Shea was a boy's name ... never watched GoT!

I'd never heard of it before GoT. stupid TV ruins lots of names! Although I think I heard that the name Arya (made up name from GoT) is the fastest growing girls name in the US. I really liked it but then I feel it sounds too much like the running together of 'are ya...' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'd never heard of it before GoT. stupid TV ruins lots of names! Although I think I heard that the name Arya (made up name from GoT) is the fastest growing girls name in the US. I really liked it but then I feel it sounds too much like the running together of 'are ya...' :(

Who Arya!!!!!

Tommy tiernan lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 frankieufc777

Haha
    It's when people say "that's an interesting name" when u introduce little Archibald Erasmus.

You feel even the smallest slight very much.
    It's all part of the game tho
    Pick something u like and run with it.

Fcuk the begrudgers as they say.

dimond or ruby

Advertisement