Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel question

Options
  • 18-07-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

this might sound bimboish question, but if i wanted to bring my pet away on holiday to mexico, do i have to get maleria tablets for the dog!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Would you not have to put your dog in quarantine for a couple of weeks prior to the holiday?

I'd assume that the trip would probably be the most traumatic experience in the dog's life, so you'd wanna think carefully as to whether you really need your dog with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'd have to do way more than that.....like putting your dog into quarantine for six months where you can't have any contact with it.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to bring the dog with you, it'll be far less stressful for both you and the dog to give it to family/friends or stick it in a kennel while you go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You dog would have to go into quarantine before you leave and after you come back.

http://www.irishanimals.com/quarantine/index.html

http://www.peoplesguide.com/mexico/pets/pets-in-mexico.shtml

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=intl_travel

this might sound bimboish question, but if i wanted to bring my pet away on holiday to mexico, do i have to get maleria tablets for the dog!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually it's not that bad. Mexico is on a list of exempt countries where you only have to comply with a certain number of items on your way back, and quarantine isn't one of them:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland/?searchterm=dog

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

why would he have to be quarantined leaving Ireland? It's not like Mexico hasn't got rabies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If there's no quarantine, it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Obviously to use as a mule on the way back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

First question is why??

2nd how long are you away for?

3rd Mexic is a known rabies carrying country so your dog will go into quarrentine for 6 months & cost around 5k! on your return! Seems a big price for a holiday! Book the dog a holiday with a nice kennel over here - will cost a few hundred! This price does not include the travel fees for the dog which will probably cost 3 times what your ticket does!

My main concern would be the rabies not maleria!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Kaylie

Hi Gal', what kind of dog u got hon? I mite be goin to New York soon for my b-day, I'd love to bring my little baby Skittles with me! He's a little yorkie.. imagine all the little outfits I could get him on 8th! He'd be gorge! Fingers crossed my boyf brings me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gal'allthe'way

thank everyone. im not going away in holiday now. i cant leave my dog. so my boyfriend is going on his own, and my friend karen is taking my place.

poor poodle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Could you not leave your dog with a family member or a dog-loving friend, or with a really nice kennels?

I drove up to Cavan with my dog a couple of times to inspect Happy Hound and Perfect Puss, and was impressed by the cleanliness and nice staff and high staff-to-dog ratio, the food, the systematic approach, the walks, the lake swims.

She came back bouncing and happy after staying there for a few days (after the two visits), and I'd send her again. They collect your dog in a van and bring her back, but I wanted her to see the place first, so she knew she was going to a familiar place where she'd had treats and petting.

Of course they insist on your dog being vaccinated against all the usual things - *including kennel cough*, as they stressed to me, because vets don't usually give that one, and it's important to be vaxed against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

argh get sick of hearing about dogs being used as fashion accessories! a practical coat or jumper yes, but they must get sick of being dressed like little furry dolls!

As for taking the dog that far, he may have to spend time in quarantine plus the long plane journey would probably be extremely stressful. probably expensive as well, knew of somebody moving to the US for a few years and taking the dog cost thousands (worth it in that case though since it was a few years and not a few weeks!)

If you want to take your dog on holiday, an easier and less stressful and cheaper option would be to take a roadtrip to Europe on the ferry, that way it's free except for a pet passport etc. and he can travel in the familiar environment of the car.

Dogs with passports, crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Not really O.O Horses have to have passports as well now. (dogs only need them if travelling though) I think everything has to be registered in some way, including us lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Humans didn't generally have passports before the Great War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport if you're interested). They are part of the enormous distrust of each other that we're developing.

I went to London last week, and in my luggage was a 200ml bottle of Roc Calmance, which I was bringing to my brother-in-law, who has severe eczema. I was told I couldn't bring it with me, so I had to run back to the postbox in the airport and post it to him (I'd brought a padded envelope and stamps in case of any such lunacy), then go back through the scanners.

Anyway, bringing the doggy: I wouldn't myself risk bringing my dog or cat so far away - not kind to them. What if they got lost in a strange place? And they're not going to enjoy the kind of stuff you do on holiday.

A happy and loved pet should be able to be minded by someone else without getting anxious.

And you'll have a better holiday if you're dog-free for the week or two.

But do make sure he knows the place and people before he goes; or find a dog-walker who'll take him into her or his house; or find someone you'd trust to move into your home and stay with him while you're away.

Another time, you can have a dog-centred holiday - say, take your dog for a week of walks in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Kaylie

Will skittles hav to get a little photo taken for his passport?! :eek: I'll have to get his haircut.

Advertisement