Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accelerator cable snapped

Options
  • 18-07-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I did a quick search but couldn't find anything worthy, I think the Accelerator cable just snapped on our '96 TD Mondeo. Luckily it happened round the corner from d gaff so I was able to crawl home but the pedal itself is boinked.

Anyone know is this a quick fix or expensive etc?

Any remedial measures I can take in the meantime before sending it off to mechanic such as getting the parts from Ford myself?

Cheers in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Savman wrote: »
    Hey
    I did a quick search but couldn't find anything worthy, I think the Accelerator cable just snapped on our '96 TD Mondeo. Luckily it happened round the corner from d gaff so I was able to crawl home but the pedal itself is boinked.

Anyone know is this a quick fix or expensive etc?

Any remedial measures I can take in the meantime before sending it off to mechanic such as getting the parts from Ford myself?

Cheers in advance

Snaped on mine too. The cable is cheap (maybe in the region of €20) and can be fitted easily and with no tools and little experience. Main dealer should have it.

Funnily enough mine snapped 20 miles from home. I held the throttle open with a scrunched up paper coffee cup! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So I may have to don my mechanic hat :o

Ah no, I hate going to mechanics with stuff that can be fixed with a little DIY, just a bit apprehensive tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

did it come off at the pedal or the throttle body or in between. if its at the throttle body it should be an easy fix. happened on my car and just threaded it through again and fastened an electrical connector to the end. lasted 6 months until its next service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

maidhc wrote: »
    Snaped on mine too. The cable is cheap (maybe in the region of €20) and can be fitted easily and with no tools and little experience. Main dealer should have it.

Funnily enough mine snapped 20 miles from home. I held the throttle open with a scrunched up paper coffee cup! :)

I did similar! :D

Changing gears was a bit annoying though :eek:

did it come off at the pedal or the throttle body or in between. if its at the throttle body it should be an easy fix. happened on my car and just threaded it through again and fastened an electrical connector to the end. lasted 6 months until its next service
    From what I can see, it's at the Pedal end. I can locate the cable in the engine bay and that end of things seems to be ok from what I can make out.

I won't go into more detail there as I would probably make a show of meself with super advanced terms like "thingymabob" and "silver yoke" :o

• Advertisement

So I may have to don my mechanic hat :o

Ah no, I hate going to mechanics with stuff that can be fixed with a little DIY, just a bit apprehensive tbh...

Well you can't do any harm!

The cable is just pushed onto the diesel pump, so you just pull it off. The pedal side is a little more involved, but if you look at the new cable you will soon figure out how it fits. As I said, there are no tools required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I won't go into more detail there as I would probably make a show of meself with super advanced terms like "thingymabob" and "silver yoke" :o

I wouldn't worry too much about it too much Savman, a lot of weekend warriors here!

I remember replacing an accelerator cable on a GTI Corolla with my cousin a few years back and we had particular trouble with the thingymabob. :p

maidhc wrote:
    The cable is just pushed onto the diesel pump, so you just pull it off. The pedal side is a little more involved, but if you look at the new cable you will soon figure out how it fits. As I said, there are no tools required at all.
    Feck it, I'll give it another go in the mornin'...
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    I remember replacing an accelerator cable on a GTI Corolla with my cousin a few years back and we had particular trouble with the thingymabob. :p
    Ah right, musta been a bad batch of 'em :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Get a new car :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

did it come off at the pedal or the throttle body or in between. if its at the throttle body it should be an easy fix. happened on my car and just threaded it through again and fastened an electrical connector to the end.

I did the exact same thing on a Fiat, used the pin from a domestic plug I had in the boot! It was still on the car when I sold it a year later

• Advertisement

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Get a new car :p.
    Cheeky fecker, my momo is a great yoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

96D are they still on the road ?

rovers2001 wrote: »
    96D are they still on the road ?

Go away if you have nothing interesting to say.

Advertisement