Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids in Action Photo Competition - closing date Oct 31

Options
  • 18-07-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Kids in Action Photo Competition (open to all, amateurs only)

Closing Date: October 31, 2008

Four entry categories will be judged with prizes in each category:
    * Primary school students
    * Secondary school students
    * Third-level students
    * Adults

Photos should be:
    - 5 to 10 megapixels
    - Unpublished so far

Email photos to kidsinaction2008@gmail.com with your name, postal address, category & where / when the picture was taken.

Photos will be judged independently of Irish Deaf Kids and will not be posted on the irishdeafkids.ie website or its forum.

Irish Deaf Kids ( www.irishdeafkids.ie ) is a new website project to support mainstream education for deaf children in Ireland.

Original website post at http://www.irishdeafkids.ie/2008/kids-in-action-photo-competition/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Kids in Action - category Adults :eek:

Big boys with toys ??

Is there a prize? Where will the photos eventaully be used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Covey wrote: »
    Kids in Action - category Adults :eek:

Big boys with toys ??

Is there a prize? Where will the photos eventaully be used?
    doe he not mean there will be a different competition for each of these?eg adults wont be competing against primary students?

Edit:Sorry i dunno did i read it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishdeafkids

Four separate categories will be judged in this competition - see post - with prizes in each category. Winning photos are to be used in print format.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do the categories refer to the subject matter or the photogrpahers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Ah in fairness, lads! There is one subject, "Kids In Action".
    The categories are to group the entrants.

• Advertisement

City-Exile wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, lads! There is one subject, "Kids In Action".
    The categories are to group the entrants.

I though thats what he meant i even wrote that but the i though i was wrong
    Thanks for clearing it up :D

UPDATE: The Kids in Action photo competition has moved online to a private members' group on Pixie, http://pix.ie.

Entrants will be able to see entries with a "public" view online. "Private" entries are possible for entrants who prefer this option.

Here's what to do:
    * Go to http://pix.ie/go/idk This url has a guest pass for temporary access to the group

If you don't join the group at this stage, access is removed when you close your browser.
    To join, you must log-in or create an account to proceed. Uploading a picture automatically joins you to the group.

Original website post at http://www.irishdeafkids.ie/2008/kid...o-competition/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

why are you using a gmail account for the entries ?

The gmail account was listed in our initial post as (1) it offered lots of space and (2) photos would be separate from our everyday work emails.

( today I wanted to edit the gmail a/c out of the initial post but can't see how to do this - is there a time limit for editing posts? )

Kids in Action Photo Competition (open to all, amateurs only)

Email photos to kidsinaction2008@gmail.com with your name, postal address, category & where / when the picture was taken.

Photos will be judged independently of Irish Deaf Kids and will not be posted on the irishdeafkids.ie website or its forum.

The more I look at this, you are either a very amature organisation or stupid,

You want people to take your word you are who you say you are,(new boards account) and then send photos, of possibly their children, to a Gmail account with their name and address ?

Sorry if this is offencive but where children and their safety are concerned I make zero apologise !

In light of your planning regarding this I wouldnt send you a photo of my dog at this point !

• Advertisement

sunny2004 wrote: »
    The more I look at this, you are either a very amature organisation or stupid,

You want people to take your word you are who you say you are,(new boards account) and then send photos, of possibly their children, to a Gmail account with their name and address ?

Sorry if this is offencive but where children and their safety are concerned I make zero apologise !

In light of your planning regarding this I wouldnt send you a photo of my dog at this point !

Jesus take it easy if they've set stuff up with an account at pix for uploading pix are hosting a gusiness competition too so im sure they are gonna make sure this is all genuine before posting it on their site and hosting the photo entires

Have a read of my post today - you'll see the competition has moved online to Pixie, at http://pix.ie.

I will say here that the team at Pixie were a great help in setting this up.

If my integrity was in doubt, they would not have got involved in the first place.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice to enter the competition. This can be done in a managed environment like the current set-up.

Have a read of my post today - you'll see the competition has moved online to Pixie, at http://pix.ie.

I will say here that the team at Pixie were a great help in setting this up.

If my integrity was in doubt, they would not have got involved in the first place.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice to enter the competition. This can be done in a managed environment like the current set-up.

you completely side stepped my concerns, why would you even consider your original post ? using a Gmail ? asking for the information to be sent to what is obviously an email that is not connected to the original site mentioned ?

Your integrity is not the issue, its your gross negligence regarding images of children that is of concern to me. but hey, the last thing you want to do is accept what you did was wrong/stupid or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

you completely side stepped my concerns, why would you even consider your original post ? using a Gmail ? asking for the information to be sent to what is obviously an email that is not connected to the original site mentioned ?

Your integrity is not the issue, its your gross negligence regarding images of children that is of concern to me. but hey, the last thing you want to do is accept what you did was wrong/stupid or both!

HAY lets get a grip on a bit of reality.

The IDK have set up this competition, initially to the best of their ability and now with help from Pix.ie. Their actions and thoughts were not negligent by using a gmail account. It was posted on their web site making it legit. Maybe they should have used their own url for the email but as the OP said they considered the bandwidth and storage space of the gmail better.

As for the pictures of kids, once again lets put it into perspective. The competition is "kids in action". A general theme allowing people scope to be creative. It's well thought out. This theme can cover a multitude of scenes .... football, playground, swinging, splashing water ... maybe ... even children playing with other children.

For those who insist on putting blankets over their childrens head and bodies so that they will never be seen in public in case any perv happens to see them - DO NOT enter this competition. It WILL offend your morals.

If some perv gets off on photos of children playing then he/she should be locked up. But don't be afraid to let other people see your children enjoying themselves. Let your children be children, protect them by all means but let them enjoy life.

For the rest of the general public, take shot's of your kids, nieces, nephews, your neighbours kids. Let your kids take their own shots, after all there are age categories for entrants. Be creative and put some thought into the composition. Only the most creative and original shots will win in each age group.

Teach your children how to use your camera. My 10 year old uses my D80, hates the weight of the zoom lens, but appreciates what it can do. She entered a Europe Direct competition last year and got second place in our region. She loves to play with our compact camera taking shots of her younger brother and friends. It teaches her what makes a good shot and to be comfortable taking photos.

Let your children be children, take photo's of them enjoying themselves "in action".

I cant see what you are talking about regarding the gmail linked in the op ?

As for the rest, its another issue and I stand by my origional concerns anyone could have posted the OP ,anyone.. !

feel free to send photos to an organisation that thinks this is ok.
    I wont but not for that reason, I am in fact excluded from the competition as I am a professional full time photographer. My issues were the unprofessional manner in which it was origionally conducted, I stated these clearly above.

I dont need to get a grip ! lol I know exactly what is professional and acceptable to me and I stand by it !
    But feel free to send in photos of your kids, lets hope they dont do something stupid ! they couldnt could they ? they are so professional after all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not everybody is completely paranoid about photos of kids. Michael Jackson syndrome gone mad! If you want to keep this discussion going, split the thread out of this forum and take it up elsewhere.
    Leave small-mindedness out of it.

?? I am lost. asking that an organization that is involved with deaf children act professionally is small minded ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. the INTERNET. ;) you have got to love it !

I am done with this... I have made my point and backed it up !
    I never mentioned paranoia, Micheal Jackson child pervs etc, that was others.. how to build an argument. LOL
    I simply said it was unprofessional to do it the way it was done in the OP...
    It could have been anyone and it was unacceptable to me !

?? I am lost. asking that an organisation that is involved with deaf children act professionally is small minded ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. the internet. ;) you have got to love it !
    Look you've made it clear you don't like this but can't you just leave it at that
    The op has made it clear why he/she has used the gmail and its a good idea.If their is a high volum of entries they will for one clog up your erver space as voluntary organisations dont have much to spend on things like that so gmaill is perfect with plenty of space and its all just dediacted for entries and if they need to other judges can acces the emails and their wont be anything concerning the charity in it.This is just spoiling the thead and possibly putting off people that would like to ener this competition

Your point is clear so just leave it at that and leave the thread for people to ask questions and not to rant

re-read my last post.. it states I am done with this :)

re-read my last post.. it states I am done with this :)

yeah i noticed that :p
    but when i was posting there was no edit so i wasn't gonna' delete it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

was working for a local paper couple of weeks, and had to do a promo of a creche what is my standing on using some of these pictures. i dont know the parents. do i have to get go ahead from the parents before i use them???

conair01 wrote: »
    was working for a local paper couple of weeks, and had to do a promo of a creche what is my standing on using some of these pictures. i dont know the parents. do i have to get go ahead from the parents before i use them???

Yes you do.

On a different note my local creche asks all parents to sign a form to allow their children to be photographed during different events.. If you refrain your child is excluded from photographes, obviously not the event..

Advertisement