Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That "Deja Vu" feeling...

Options
  • 18-07-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you ever had the feeling you have just done something that you dreamt about, and it suddenly hit you as described by Deja Vu? I can recall many episodes in my life where i can honestly recall having dreamt a moment that occured in the future.

Or do you believe in such a phenomenon, that it exists or is just part of the human condition and imagined to complete some chemical reaction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

well a year or two ago i had some very important conversations in dreams that felt so real i thought they had happened-once or twice i had to stop myself refering to them when chatting to someone involved in them.i haven't had the same experience since iirc although i do sometimes have quite powerful dream experiences.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

All the time. I think the debate about whether its random brain firings or otherwise is a completely pointless ones, because people tend to be extreme in their (dis)belief!

Personally, I dont think its just your brain being random.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

All the time aswell, sometimes I get ones where I've been convinced I've recognised it as deja vu before, so like I'd see the same thing a few times not just the second time. Weird, sometimes the sense can last like a good minute and is very surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Stromecek

Any of you ever had the feeling you have just done something that you dreamt about, and it suddenly hit you as described by Deja Vu? I can recall many episodes in my life where i can honestly recall having dreamt a moment that occured in the future.

Or do you believe in such a phenomenon, that it exists or is just part of the human condition and imagined to complete some chemical reaction?

This happens to me quite a lot as well,
    When the deja vu happens though I get struck by the thought that I have chosen a certain path of events, met certain people or travelled somewhere contrary to another path which I could have chosen and I seemed to be aware of the choice while having the initial dream in the first place.
    hope that makes sense :)

Also I've been studying Magik recently which is centred around harnessing your will and this deja vu feeling has increased as well, seems my subconcious is more active than ever, directing my waking actions as it where

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i reckon that it is your brain predicting things that will happen in the future from information youve taken in during the day then when something similar happens you will think they are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've always thought that there was a connection between dreams and Deja Vu. Of course it's just my own theory and based on nothing in particular:)

However, not long ago, i was in normal everyday situation of no significance what so ever, just talking to a couple of people, but i suddenly got a dose of deja vu and i knew instantly that i had dreamt about that moment before, the dream was quite clear in my head and there was no doubt. It kind of freaked me out a little. That's the first time something like that had happened.

Also, not deja vu, but only a week or two ago, i was freaked out again. I was dreaming that i was in bed, and in my head i was counting down to when my alarm would go off, my alarm being my phone next to me. I remember counting down from 10, 9,8 and so forth, and when i got down to 1, my alarm went off and woke me up. :eek:!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Several times I have known that something is about to happen as it feels as if it had happened before, maybe in a dream or something. It's odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Several times I have known that something is about to happen as it feels as if it had happened before, maybe in a dream or something. It's odd.
    yeah, its like you have done it before and you sort of get this flash, sorta nice feeling too....

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Have to say I have experienced stuff like this before too, Ill be walking somewhere or talking to someone and ill be like "I have been here / lived out this exact moment before" Its a really weird feeling... its not like i predicted I would end up in that situation... Just feels familiar as if I have already dreamed about it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭erinn

what always gets to me is when i know i've had a deja vu, if some thing goes wrong later that day i wonder if the deja vu had been 2warn me to do it differently so things would have ran smoothly but my deja vus are never clear enough for me to remember excally whats been said only enough to know i have lived that moment before!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I definitely get this, every couple of months. Especially if you're doing something and you don't know why but just go along with it... Like it was fate or something. I can't explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MysticFaye

I've had the Dejavu feelings quite alot. It's less of having predicted it happen, as more of a 'I remember doing this before' as conzymaher has said.

Although, I did have one dream where I dreamt of doing something, then the next day, it happened. The thing was, there were details in my dream that were accurate but I couldn't have known as I'd just met the person that day. The only difference about the dream and the reality, was the place it happened was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I've gotten this a few times, it's a weird feeling when it comes over me, I can tell what the next couple of lines in a conversation are going to be etc........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

you guys think the feeling of deja vu is bad...i fear the whole dam experience....whenever i got deja vu i used to faint, or sometimes even have a full blown fit!!! happened about 15-20 times in 9 months...turned out i had gotten epilepsy from a blow to my head...i am better now but it toook 2 years, and everytime i get deja vu now i literally **** a brick if im in public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

G3-Nut wrote: »
    you guys think the feeling of deja vu is bad...i fear the whole dam experience....whenever i got deja vu i used to faint, or sometimes even have a full blown fit!!! happened about 15-20 times in 9 months...turned out i had gotten epilepsy from a blow to my head...i am better now but it toook 2 years, and everytime i get deja vu now i literally **** a brick if im in public

Yep, I also have Epilepsy from a blow to the head, and get Deja Vu ALOT, its meant to be one of the lesser known side effects I read that somewhere anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

Smegball wrote: »
    Yep, I also have Epilepsy from a blow to the head, and get Deja Vu ALOT, its meant to be one of the lesser known side effects I read that somewhere anyways?

Yeah thats what i was told by dr delanty up in the neurology in dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ok dont laugh at me, but this happens all the time to me

I have a dream and it happens it can be days weeks or months later but i do remember them when it happens not the deja vu of feelin like you have done somethin before.

For example, my mate shane is a scaffolder and he works some weekends for extra money with a few others and he lives in navan (remember this)

Ok i had a dream where me shane and another mutual friend were in working gear (this was when i was in the print trade) and the mutual friend worked in a mobile phone shop. So we were on a train and i was eating a sausage roll (i dont really like them at all) and said the words "half eight me bólox" Now as far as i am aware there is no rail service to navan so needless to say i wondered what the dream meant

Fast forward two months later and shane rings me askin could i help him with a nixer and of course i said i would, and the mornin of the job i went into the train station (we had to get a train there) and all they had was sausage rolls. Bout 15 mins later i realised we were never gonna make it on time, guess what time we were supposed to start at?

I could go on for ages with dreams and me even changing things that happened in my dreams but i wont bore you

Advertisement