Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would happen if all houseflies and mosquitoes got wiped out tomorrow?

Options
  • 18-07-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I hate and I do mean hate mosquitoes with a passion. in Ireland it's not so bad but over here in Portugal, during the summer, I'm plagued by the l'il b'ds. Their bites itch for days, not only that, back in the ol country flies were just annoying, but here they are way more aggressive. They really pester you and they actually bite at times....

Anyway I'm sure boardies don't do sympathy ;) so let's get to the point...

I'm sure many of you have heard about bees being threatened by some micro-organism, and that if bees didn't exist the various disastrous scenarios for the planet and humankind.

Anybody got any idea what the consequences would be if the likes of mosquitoes, houseflies or any other fly that pesters humans got wiped out tomorrow?

I have a feeling there would be many negatives but not too sure offhand what they might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not sure about the mozzies, but flies, or rather maggots, perform a useful function getting rid of the last remnants of dead animals. Maybe we'd all be up to our ears in dead birds, mice etc. if they weren't there. I'd be quite happy for them to carry on existing, if they'd just stop aimlessly buzzing round my house all the time, I mean, what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'm sure mozzies are the staple diet of some other creature, maybe some bird or spider? Hard to imagine ecosystems collapsing in their absence though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Not sure if this is true but I heard on the radio that scientists are trying to find out a way to make mozzies extinct because they play no important role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Not sure if this is true but I heard on the radio that scientists are trying to find out a way to make mozzies extinct because they play no important role.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, or in this instance write this in regards to any living species, but when it comes to mozzies I'd welcome their extinction if they had no useful role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mand123

The larvae provide food for fish and birds alike. Its hard to see from taking away one thing from an eco system that may seem insignificant, could actually have a harmful effect.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I would seriously worry that if we were to make them extinct we would suddenly discover that we just hadn't worked out what vital role they play. Also as Weidii says they are probably the staple diet of something and perhaps that plays a more vital role.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I poured the last of a bottle of wine I had opened to find 5 or 6 flies swimming in the bottle. EW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think at times man plays god one too many times! I hate flies etc but other animals live on them so wipe them out & you may wipe other species out!

Different thing but look at the cane toad in Australia - it is wiping out loads of the top predators such as snakes & crocs! Seems silly but the poison is very bad & will kill what ever bites it! Its causing tremendous harm to the natural eco system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

luckylucky wrote: »
    I hate and I do mean hate mosquitoes with a passion. in Ireland it's not so bad but over here in Portugal, during the summer, I'm plagued by the l'il b'ds. Their bites itch for days, not only that, back in the ol country flies were just annoying, but here they are way more aggressive. They really pester you and they actually bite at times....

Anyway I'm sure boardies don't do sympathy ;) so let's get to the point...

I'm sure many of you have heard about bees being threatened by some micro-organism, and that if bees didn't exist the various disastrous scenarios for the planet and humankind.

Anybody got any idea what the consequences would be if the likes of mosquitoes, houseflies or any other fly that pesters humans got wiped out tomorrow?

I have a feeling there would be many negatives but not too sure offhand what they might be.

Don't like them myelf but think this would have a biggggg knock on effect.

Try posting it in a science forum and see what they have to say?

Don't forget to come back and tell us.

Advertisement