Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my brand new Meteor bill pay Nokia N73 fell down the toilet!!

• 18-07-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

what options do I have?? is it worth bringing to "phonemenders"?
    looks like Meteor will do nothing for me and are making me honour my 12 month contract. i have no insurance:mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Take it apart as much as possible and put in on a radiator or in the hot press and let it dry out.... 50% of the time this has worked for me. After that, bring it to the phone mendors and see if it's actually worth fixing or not. Don't bother with Meteor, without insurance they'll just laugh in your face.

I tried get the same phone through Meteor Bill (been PAYG for ages) and they want a €300 deposit which I'll get back in 6 months... f**king ridiculous.

I won't ask how it fell down the toilet - I'm gonna guess at peeing while on the phone but holding it with your head wasn't enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dry it out you might just need a battery

don't pee and text dude...uncool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dont ask questions,, it happens :pac:

I second what username said, open it and leave it hot press for a long period of time, get a spare phone and give it the week in the hot press at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In all fairness, it's nothing to do with Meteor. It's not their fault it went for a swim. You sign a contract for a service, not a phone. The phone is just the sweetener. You could chance your arm taking it back and not mentioning liquid damage and see what happens but Meteor are not obliged to do anything for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Blue Tooth head set!! They are the dogs Ball0cks! sorry to hear about your phone The N73 looks good but as Meteor look at it it was not them that dropped it in the toilet and you can't really send it to get fixed the same happened well kind of, Moisture damage the eldest was a baby and decided that my new phone was an ideal thing to chew on i had the phone 2 weeks ! you prob be able to pick up a 2nd hand one on adverts i picked up a N95!! well thats till i get my Iphone tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

do i put the battery in the airing cupboard too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nope

yeah dont ask how i dropped my phone down the toilet but i will NEVER forget the noise it made as it hit the "water" . ggggggggggglunggggggggnkkk:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Like a big metal poo ha! The battery is surely f**ked. I've a water damaged E65 at the moment... changed the battery and it's working... screen is a little dull and the camera application doesn't want to open... time to get the screwdrivers out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

If only it was this Sony Ericsson, you would have been fine:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dlE6loF6Uo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You can have taken out insurance now, only you've already blown the ruse with Meteor... :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Get a new phone here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

your phone is gone, its not coming back. grieve, then move on.

next time dont text and pee, or if you must, get insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Did the same thing with my 4 week old e51. Still brought it into Meteor and they sent it off to Dublin. Alas, the damage was too severe and the phone was a right-off. It was the first time anything has happened to one of my phones.

If it ever happens again, the first thing to do is remove the battery. In reality you have less than 30 seconds to get it out. Anything longer and it's a goner. Dry off the phone for two days. Whatever you do, DO NOT re-insert the battery during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

chrislad wrote: »
    In all fairness, it's nothing to do with Meteor. It's not their fault it went for a swim. You sign a contract for a service, not a phone. The phone is just the sweetener. You could chance your arm taking it back and not mentioning liquid damage and see what happens but Meteor are not obliged to do anything for you.

With that in mind, within 14 days you should be able to opt out of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

dont worrie about it will be back to its self in no time,same thing happend to me ;) if you want go to one of the little side street phone shops they repair water damage to phones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

(bump)

I dropped my brilliant N73 in the toilet too :(

I put the battery in after 2 days left to dry and while it wont power up, the blue led light turns on once the battery is in. Is there any hope?

I got the phone as a present and its the best one i ever had. Its 350 euro to buy sim free :(

lol good bump my friend for my old thread

i never bothered bringing trying to bring my N73 into one of those phone mender places (Feck its nearly a year later)

Every so often i pet it and go hmmmm the phone I never had, I only had it 2 weeks or something-
    gatorade wrote: »
    (bump)

I got the phone as a present and its the best one i ever had (

...sigh

It does feck all now I cant even turn it on, it worked for a while minus the camera :eek:

Still using my w810i from 2007!! old school!!!
    ..waiting to get an N97 with three :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I jumped into a swimming pool in Arizona with my N73 in my pocket. Was in the pool for about 5 minutes.. phone wouldn't turn on or anything. Left the phone out in the Arizona sun for about 2 hours with the back cover off and battery out. Phone worked perfect after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

OP: Sorry for going off topic-ish but I hope the phone fell in Post Flush :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fonemenders wont look at a water damaged phone as far as I know. Some repair places locally might. DO NOT turn it on until you get it seen. It needs to be taken apart cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and dried. Do not try and use until that is done.

Advertisement