Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs report ManYoo and Liverpool to PL for tapping up - SSN

• 18-07-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen on SSN ticker, I believe they have video of Daniel Levy in rather angry form.

Should be an interesting few days...:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/chairmanspeaksout180708.html
    There has been substantial speculation in respect of the futures of Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane, including press comment from both Sir Alex Ferguson and Rafa Benitez. In response our Chairman, Daniel Levy has made the following statement:

"Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players. It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date and is unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

"This comes after a series of events, dating back to last summer, which have shown Manchester United to be in breach of Premier League (PL) rules. As a result, we have today made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Manchester United. Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively.

"Irrespective of the outcome and futures of Robbie and Dimitar, we are continuing to seek to bring in quality, talented players for the future, who want to play in a Spurs shirt."

Think we're angling for a few more £m...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Clever stuff from Spurs.
    That said, if FIFA don't find Madrid guility, can't see them finding Utd or Pool guilty.

Face saving in front of the fans. People will blame it once again on Liverpool and United rather than it being due to them not being in the CL. Thus shifting the blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pretty sure liverpool were warned over ziege if it ever happened again theyd be docked points

its since happened 4 more times that i can remember off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

"I have no wish to sell etc"but to be honest the money would be crazy to turn down and we already have these two cheaper spanish guys to replace them,but at least i'll give ssn a headline for a few hours:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Helix wrote: »
    pretty sure liverpool were warned over ziege if it ever happened again theyd be docked points

Go on then name the four times that liverpool have been found guilty of tapping up Helix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's the first time I've seen confirmation that Robbie wants to leave. All along I thought, or maybe hoped, that it was just speculation, but this proves that his head has been turned. I'm gutted :(

PHB wrote: »
    Clever stuff from Spurs.
    That said, if FIFA don't find Madrid guility, can't see them finding Utd or Pool guilty.

We've complained to the PL mate, not FIFA. I'm pretty certain there are different standards expected by both organisations.

I think Rafa and Fergie stepped out of line by mentioning both players as targets, but in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world.

Levy is putting pressure on both clubs to try squeeze a few more £ out of them, plus he's trying to appear whiter than white to us fans, AND he paints Keane and Berbatov in a bad light as they are asking for moves.

If we were serious about this issue we'd not let either player leave, but that's not going to happen is it?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Liverpool and Man U in tapping up shocker.Sly sports will blow it up into the biggest football story of all time.Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

We've complained to the PL mate, not FIFA. I'm pretty certain there are different standards expected by both organisations.

I think Rafa and Fergie stepped out of line by mentioning both players as targets, but in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world.

Levy is putting pressure on both clubs to try squeeze a few more £ out of them, plus he's trying to appear whiter than white to us fans, AND he paints Keane and Berbatov in a bad light as they are asking for moves.

If we were serious about this issue we'd not let either player leave, but that's not going to happen is it?

;)

apparently the fergie quotes originated in the sun. Whether that true or not utd released a statement (bbc have it on levy article) saying a spokesman said - "We are aware of the allegation and will co-operate with the Premier League as necessary."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

And I can name 6-7 whee Fergie was accused!:rolleyes:

;)

So Totenham should be brought up for saying that they wanted Eto'o.

Bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Strange how Spurs don't seem to like what United and Liverpool have allegedly done to Berbatov and Keane. When they've been guilty of doing that themselves earlier this summer when they signed that young lad Bostock from Palace.

Go on then name the four times that liverpool have been found guilty of tapping up Helix.

yis didnt get found guilty thats my point

its always completely disregarded, which is an utter disgrace

And I can name 6-7 whee Fergie was accused!:rolleyes:

aye hes every bit as bad

Bulls**t.

oh you mean a player who was on the transfer list at the time?

aye hes every bit as bad

Every single manager and club have.
    Just like Spurs as pointed out a few posts ahead!

Helix wrote:
    oh you mean a player who was on the transfer list at the time?

No I mean the player who was approached, publically, by Spurs and had Eto'o came out and say no publically, all a month before Barca put him on the transfer list!
    Unless Spurs have a secret time machine I don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

yis didnt get found guilty thats my point

its always completely disregarded, which is an utter disgrace
    Have you by any chance heard the expression "Innocent until proven guilty" ? It would seem to me that you have not and now you chose to spout unsubstantiated rubbish on an internet web forum.

Spurs fans also seem to be forgetting about the fact that they allegedly tapped up Ramos while he was at Sevilla. But I suppose that was different :rolleyes:

Spurs fans also seem to be forgetting about the fact that they allegedly tapped up Ramos while he was at Sevilla. But I suppose that was different :rolleyes:

Course it was.
    But then we can hardly complain.
    Liverpool break the rules, Utd break the rules, Spurs break the rules, bloody Acrington Stanley break the rules.
    It's a fans job to look the other way.

This new policy of tapping up players, and then crying to the officials when someone does it to you is ridiculous though.
    First Fergie, and now this.

Bulls**t.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/23/ufnetoo123.xml
    Gus Poyet, Tottenham's assistant manager, says the club have no interest in signing Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.

The 27-year-old has been repeatedly linked with an exit from the Nou Camp this summer, with Tottenham's Spanish coach Juande Ramos reportedly one of those interested in the Cameroon international.

However, Tottenham have moved to dispel the rumours by insisting Eto'o is not among those on the club's list of transfer targets.

"Samuel Eto'o is not a priority for our team. Moreover, we're not interested in him," Poyet told Spanish radio station Ona FM.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/19/ufnspurs119.xml
    Tottenham are offering £6 million under the asking price with their £24 million bid and are willing to break their wage structure and offer Eto’o £107,000-a-week, according to reports.

However, Jose Maria Mesalles, Eto’o’s agent, confirmed that he has had no contact with Levy.

“I do not know if [Levy] met with FC Barcelona, but with Eto’o it is totally wrong,” he said.

Strange how Spurs don't seem to like what United and Liverpool have allegedly done to Berbatov and Keane. When they've been guilty of doing that themselves earlier this summer when they signed that young lad Bostock from Palace.

Bostock was not under contract to Palace, was he?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

As far as I know all Rafa said was Keane was an option and someone he was looking at.That should not break any rules IMO.

• Advertisement

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was reportedly set to fly out to Barcelona to meet with Eto’o’s agent and the Catalan club to discuss terms of a summer transfer, but it appears that Levy cancelled his plans at the last minute.

So he was flying to Barca for his holidays.
    Or maybe he was going to go knock on the Nou Camps door without contacting them first!
    Eto’o told CRTV: “Tottenham, and I hope the English fans will forgive me, are a club in mid-table and I need more.

“I insist that I have a contract with Barcelona until 2010 and I feel great at the club.”

And Eto'o himself said Tottenham, because he picked the name out of the blue!

No.

Tottenham sized out a transfer with the player and he said no, so they moved on.
    But no, Tottenham are innocent lambs being bullied by the big baddies!:rolleyes:

LONDON (AFP) - Spurs were on Sunday accused of making an illegal approach to Juande Ramos in their determination to lure the Sevilla coach to White Hart Lane.

The accusation comes 24 hours after Ramos quit Sevilla and was appointed as the successor to Martin Jol who was sacked by Tottenham on Friday.

The tapping up charge was made by Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido who plans to report the ailing Premier League side to football's governing bodies.

Del Nido told the Sunday Express: "If Spurs wanted Ramos they had to speak to me, but they approached him directly.

"They have acted incorrectly and I shall report them to FIFA and UEFA to defend my rights."

NEILWARNOCK fears his Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan could walk out because he is so disillusioned by Tottenham poaching boy wonder John Bostock for “peanuts.”

Eagles boss Warnock was livid when a transfer tribunal ordered Spurs to pay just £ 70 0 , 0 0 0 , rising to £1.25million with add-ons, for the prodigy Palace nurtured from seven years old.

:rolleyes:

So he was flying to Barca for his holidays.
    Or maybe he was going to go knock on the Nou Camps door without contact them first!

Did you read the 2nd link I posted?
    Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was reportedly set to fly out to Barcelona to meet with Eto’o’s agent and the Catalan club to discuss terms of a summer transfer, but it appears that Levy cancelled his plans at the last minute.

Eto’o has been put up for sale by Barcelona, who are planning a clear-out after a disappointing season, with the striker apparently considering England as a possible destination.
    And Eto'o himself said Tottenham, because he picked the name out of the blue!

I believe he was responding to press speculation.

Now unless you have anything to back up your point?

Now unless you have anything to back up your point?

And are you going to respond to the two posters, myself included, who have posted incidences of Tottenham tapping up?

No, cause you don't have any speculative ideas to back them up.

There's no proof of Eto'o being contacted by Tottenham, but there's no proof of them not either.
    There is however in the other two cases, but you conveniently choose to ignore them.

Spurs paid compensation to Sevilla for Ramos, I do not deny that the club approached him when he was still employed by the club.

As for Bostock, what part of "he had not signed professional terms with Palace" do you find difficult to understand? The clubs could not agree a fee, so a tribunal decided the matter (incidently, I believe the tribunal fcuked over Palace, but that's an issue with the tribunal)

Where was Palace's complaint to the FA, Football League or Premier League?

Fabregas
    Pique
    Fran Merida @ Arsenal
    Daniel Pacheco @ Liverpool

All moved to England from Spanish clubs under similar circumstances.

United have attracted criticism in France for their courting of Darnel Situ and Jeremy Helen, of Lens and Rennes respectively.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4039977.ece

:rolleyes: right back at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Fcuk Keane he is now a Judas in most Spurs fans eyes, so much about wanting to finish his career at Spurs! Also I think Levy's statement was fine up to the Berbs and Keane's heads being turned, with the statement he is basically covering his arse so he doesn't suffer Spurs fans for calling for his head, think he should have done his best to keep Keane happy. I also hope we sell off Berbs for 1 Million less to Barcalona to upset Taggart and Manure and leave Keane rot in the reserves for the rest of his contract and not sell him to the car theives

And are you going to respond to the two posters, myself included, who have posted incidences of Tottenham tapping up?

Did I not make the point that Bostock was not under contract to Palace or is that another post you haven't bothered reading?
    There is however in the other two cases, but you conveniently choose to ignore them.

See my post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I don't get United's obvious double standards. They complain about Real trying to unsettle Ronaldo while they are attempting to do exactly the same thing to Berba.

Seem like a buncha hypocrites to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

spurs, a guiding light and beacon of hope in the murky world of transfers :pac:

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    I don't get United's obvious double standards. They complain about Real trying to unsettle Ronaldo while they are attempting to do exactly the same thing to Berba.

Seem like a buncha hypocrites to me.

United have made a bid for Berbatov and said they hoped things would go smoothly whereas Real have yet to make a bid for Ronaldo but continued to say stuff in the media such as that Ronaldo would be at Real next season and that he would be unveiled on the 7th July(Must of missed that ;)) etc... The two situations are completely different.

Spurs paid compensation to Sevilla for Ramos, I do not deny that the club approached him when he was still employed by the club.

So your point is what then?
    That it's okay for Tottenham to do it?

Every club taps players up.
    It's not nice, but it's the simple truth.

Every fan overlooks their own club doing it, while tut tuting at the rest.
    Every club gets pissed off when it happens to them, while planning their next tapping up at the same time.

I can understand a smaller club going to the authorities, or the press when it happens to them.
    But when big clubs like Utd, and now Tottenham throw their toys out of the pram and cry, it's disgusting.

If it's too hot in the kitchen, you don't whine to the cooker while still lighting fires with your other hand.

Anybody who doesn't see this as Tottenham spinning the sale of their two players so that their fans don't blame them, is beyond naive.

You're own manager just came out and said that Tottenham are a club that sells players, and that this is how business works.
    They may not want to, but if they get a good offer they can't say no.

Somebody should tell your press department that they're being contradictory, but then again, any big club that complains about tapping is used to talking out of both sides of his face!!!:rolleyes:

But no, just blame everything on the big clubs, that makes everything okay!

United have made a bid for Berbatov and said they hoped things would go smoothly whereas Real have yet to make a bid for Ronaldo but continued to say stuff in the media such as that Ronaldo would be at Real next season and that he would be unveiled on the 7th July(Must of missed that ;)) etc... The two situations are completely different.

And Jap Stam, RVN, etc were perfectly legal transfers.
    Utd are being just as two faced as spurs now.

And Jap Stam, RVN, etc were perfectly legal transfers.
    Utd are being just as two faced as spurs now.

I never said United have never tapped anyone up I was just merely pointing out that there was a major difference between what United have done and Real have done( in regards to alleged tapping up) in that United have made a bid for Berbatov whereas Real have not as of yet made a formal bid for Ronaldo. Not that it makes United actons any better if the allegations made by Spurs are true.

Anybody who doesn't see this as Tottenham spinning the sale of their two players so that their fans don't blame them, is beyond naive.

I suggest you go back and read post number 8 of this thread before you address any points to me again.

I won't repeat myself.

I never said United have never tapped anyone up I was just merely pointing out that there was a major difference between what United have done and Real have done( in regards to alleged tapping up) in that United have made a bid for Berbatov whereas Real have not as of yet made a formal bid for Ronaldo. Not that it makes United actons any better if the allegations made by Spurs are true.

I agree in this instance, and think that Tottenham are obviously lying, seeing as all inside sources indicate that Tottenham have agreed terms with Keane leaving at least, which means that they were in talks with Liverpoll, and did not give a blanket no as they suggested in that press release.

All that I'm saying is that it is a bit rich for Fergie to accuse Real of tapping up, while he has been accused of the same thing by half the clubs in Europe.

• Advertisement

I suggest you go back and read post number 8 of this thread before you address any points to me again.

I won't repeat myself.

And you should read my posts instead of getting two lines in and making assumptions.

I've repeatedly pointed out that my problem is with them going to the FA in the first place.
    In the same way that it annoys me that Fegie did it with Uefa.

It's one thing for clubs to tell their fans that the big bad club from down the road was naughty, but this new policy of going to the authorities, wasting possibly hundreds of thousands in legal fees, and time, while at the same time, probably being actually embroiled in exactly what their giving out about!

Now I'm not scared of "repeating myself", so allow me to demonstrate!

This new policy of tapping up players, and then crying to the officials when someone does it to you is ridiculous though.
    First Fergie, and now this.

I can understand a smaller club going to the authorities, or the press when it happens to them.
    But when big clubs like Utd, and now Tottenham throw their toys out of the pram and cry, it's disgusting.

I can leave you off with this one, cause we were posting at the same time.;)
    All that I'm saying is that it is a bit rich for Fergie to accuse Real of tapping up, while he has been accused of the same thing by half the clubs in Europe.

But no, you ignored half of my posts.
    Maybe you should be the one re-reading.

Cause you know what.

"I won't repeat myself!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting.

We better still end up with Berbatov or I'll be p*ssed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

been reading some of the older news stories on ssn regarding spurs and berbatov.
    seems to go like this:
    Milan show interest in Berbatov
    Berb flattered by interest
    Ramos admits they'll sell if an offer matches the clubs valuation
    United show interest
    Ramos refuses to rule out sale
    United make bid, Ferguson comments that he hopes the transfer goes smoothly.

Exactly what part of that is tapping up on uniteds part ? Am I missing something here ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Wow Helix, wouldn't have expected you to have jumped on this one... I am starting to think that you are a closet pool fan. Stop worrying so much about other clubs.

pyure wrote: »
    Exactly what part of that is tapping up on uniteds part ? Am I missing something here ? :confused:

I might be wrong, but I don't think Daniel Levy is basing his accusations on press speculation alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this is funny.

as someone already said, all Levy is doing is trying to soften the anger that will be directed at him when Spurs sell their best two players, to English clubs.

I dont nescessarily think they'll even get more money out of either party, its just to make it seem like they really really really dont wanna sell, when in reality they really really really dont wanna turn down 40 odd million pounds.

Expect keane to be a done deal by monday and Berbas move to go through when Utd get back from south africa.

well played Levy, but spurs fans should see right through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

The point I was trying to make was that you can't state that you'll sell a player if you get a good enough offer - basically seeing how much clubs are willing to pay - and they cry foul when the player tries to have a say in their future.
    It all sounds like the spurs board trying to spin the situation to keep fans from becoming annoyed for selling one of their best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Definetly, there's certainly some very savvy PR guys working at Spurs.

It's just in retaliation to Fergusons comments about completing the deal, shareholders need to be kept happy regarding the sale of some of the clubs most valuable assets.

Clubs are multi million pound businesses, some of which are being run by successful businesmen, anything made public is usually strategically placed (or leaked!)

It's one thing for clubs to tell their fans that the big bad club from down the road was naughty, but this new policy of going to the authorities, wasting possibly hundreds of thousands in legal fees, and time, while at the same time, probably being actually embroiled in exactly what their giving out about!

There are three specific cases mentioned on this thread, none of which is covered by PL rules as they involve non-PL clubs.

Our approach to Bostock was legal as he was not under contract to Palace.

Our "approach" to Eto'o was denied by both Gus Poyet and Eto'o's agent.

Our approach to Ramos was indeed wrong, I've said as much. Sevilla complained to Uefa, we paid them compensation as a result of him moving to Spurs.

As I stated above, I don't believe either Rafa or Fergie's public utterances are a big deal, and I know that Spurs have been in discussions with both clubs re. transfers so I don't think either player has been unsettled by the paper talk. What may be a serious issue is the allegation that both clubs have made direct contact with the players and/or their agents, which is a clear breach of the PL rules.

I reject your argument that clubs should ignore blatant attempts to unsettle their players because they are all guilty of it.

If contact has been made (and if evidence does exist) then it has undermined Spurs in their efforts to extract maximum value from the players in question, and the club is right to bring this to the PL (as Arsenal were with Ashley Cole)

I understand and accept that clubs use the media and to an increasing extent trusted contacts on message boards (whose info end up in the media anyway) to spread rumours that are favourable to the club. Direct approaches to players without a club's permission are on a whole different level.

And before anybody uses Stewart Downing as a crutch to beat me with, Martin Jol was an idiot to comment publicly on a player we were interested in but had not received permission to talk to by his club, but I am not aware of any illegal approach being made by Spurs.

What may be a serious issue is the allegation that both clubs have made direct contact with the players and/or their agents, which is a clear breach of the PL rules

If its found that either clubs officials was in contact with the players after Spurs told them they are not for sale and did not give them permission to speak with them, then the book should be thrown at them.

(and i mean Parry/Gill/Ferguson/Ramos-hotels/cloak and dagger stuff....not finnan texting keane or any **** like that)

if its found that nothing happened, Spurs should recieve a serious reprimand for publically damaging the perception of both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If its found that either clubs officials was in contact with the players after Spurs told them they are not for sale and did not give them permission to speak with them, then the book should be thrown at them.

(and i mean Parry/Gill/Ferguson/Ramos-hotels/cloak and dagger stuff....not finnan texting keane or any **** like that)

if its found that nothing happened, Spurs should recieve a serious reprimand for publically damaging the perception of both clubs.

That's a very fair comment. If either of the three clubs have acted incorrectly, be it illegal approaches in the case of Liverpool and Utd, or defamation by Spurs, punishment should be applied.

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's a very fair comment

Thats me, Mr Fair :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've been calling you Mr Alan! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Typical Fergie imo

i presume Spurs will be reporting portsmouth too?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3836141,00.html
    "I like him, Kaboul," Redknapp told Sky Sports News. "He's a young player I tried to sign before and I'm interested, but the price has got to be right."

said similar about SWP and Crouch among others this summer already.

or is it alright when aul Harry does it cause Portsmouth aren't one of the big four?

And did Keane not go straight from his honeymoon to Spurs training camp? When did the "tapping up" occur?

• Advertisement
Advertisement