Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs report ManYoo and Liverpool to PL for tapping up - SSN

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i presume Spurs will be reporting portsmouth too?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3836141,00.html

said similar about SWP and Crouch among others this summer already.

or is it alright when aul Harry does it cause Portsmouth aren't one of the big four?

Al, it's known that Kaboul is available for takers and I believe discussions have taken place between Pompey and Spurs already re. a move.

As you can see from Levy's statement, this complaint is not just related to press reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Al, it's known that Kaboul is available for takers and I believe discussions have taken place between Pompey and Spurs already re. a move.

As you can see from Levy's statement, this complaint is not just related to press reports.

but isn't it known that Liverpool have been in talks with Spurs for quite some time about Keane too?

football just pisses me off sometimes is all-the hypocrisy of it all.

if this drags into another Barry-type affair, i swear to god i'm starting to follow ****ing rugby or some such ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

but isn't it known that Liverpool have been in talks with Spurs for quite some time about Keane too?

football just pisses me off sometimes is all-the hypocrisy of it all.

if this drags into another Barry-type affair, i swear to god i'm starting to follow ****ing rugby or some such ****e.

Hey!!!!!

I'll accept a lot of s**t here, and I can understand angry words being used in the heat of the moment!

But I won't stand for anyone calling rugby sh*te!!!

;)

Al, it's known that Kaboul is available for takers

But has your own manager not said that it's well known that Spurs are a club that must sell their older players.
    Therefore admitting that they're prepared to listen to offers for players like Keane and Berba, cause they're resigned to having to sell them for business reasons.

Now I know that this isn't an official transfer notice, but either is intimating that you're willing to listen to offers for Kaboul.

Both situations are similar.
    Not the same, but similar.

Al, 'Arry has done business with Spurs for four players since he took the helm at Pompey for the 2nd time [Mendes, Davis, Pamarot, Defoe]. On each occasion Spurs have sold players who were surplus to requirements for decent fees, and all with minimum fuss. In addition, 'Arry is on good terms with Levy as he is a very good mate of former #2 at Spurs Paul Kelmsley (who is bessie mates with Mike Ashley, explaining why 'Arry was in the frame for the Barcodes job when BFS got the sack)

All in all, it would be fair to say that Spurs and Pompey are on very good terms, and given that both clubs have been in touch re. Kaboul and his agent has just rubbished talk of a move to Sunderland but said he'll be going to another PL club, it's not a huge leap of logic to conclude that when 'Arry says something complimentary about a player still on our books there's a good chance he's made a bid, or is about to make a bid, and we're likely to accept.

Meanwhile, discussion has taken place between Spurs and Liverpool about Keane, but given that we'd rather not sell him I think it would be fair to say that the relationship between the two clubs is more formal, and so any public utterance from Rafa while negotiations are ongoing would be likely to raise heckles at Spurs. Throw in the suspicion of illegal contact with Keane and/or his agent and things get rather heated.

I think it's also worth mentioning the Defoe/Cisse comments from Rafa back in 2006 which prompted an angry response from Daniel Levy. Levy has a long memory...;)

Now I know that this isn't an official transfer notice, but either is intimating that you're willing to listen to offers for Kaboul.

Both situations are similar.
    Not the same, but similar.

See my post above.

No they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont understand the problem...every single manager and every single team are guilty of this.

Tusky wrote: »
    I dont understand the problem...every single manager and every single team are guilty of this.

But not every team feels the need to go to the FA, or FIFA, or UEFA about something that they themselves do.
    That is the problem.

See my post above.

No they are not.

So by your logic it's only okay to talk to the media about being interested in a player if you're friends with the board of the club in question.

I'm sorry, but I don't accept that.

If a reporter asks Harry about a player and he says that he thinks about him in a certain way, and a reporter asks Rafa about a player and he responds in a very similar fashion then you treat the responses identically.

Harry may be friendly with people in Spurs, but as soon as the press are asking the questions it's all business.

If Tottenham want to imply that Liverpool are breaking the rules, then they have to hold all other clubs to the same standards, and treat them accordingly.
    That's not only fair, but common sense too.

To compare, this is what Rafa said to the media, when directly questioned about Keane.
    Rafa wrote:
    "Keane is one of the other names and, okay, we are working on other names. We were in contact and we will see now."

Note how this is after Liverpool had been in contact with Spurs, and as to the possibility of Keane signing, all he says is "we'll see".

Since then when directly questioned about Keane, all he has said is that he is concentrating on the players he has, and that he is working towards a number of signings.

Please tell me how he is unsettling the player with these responses?

Harry's quote of
    Harry wrote:
    I like him, Kaboul," Redknapp told Sky Sports News. "He's a young player I tried to sign before and I'm interested, but the price has got to be right.

"We can't be paying over the top, you've got to pay what you consider to be a fair price for players.

Is in fact much more direct, and in depth.

He talks about how he's followed the player for a while, how he's tried to buy him before, and even goes into his opinion on the price.

If Tottenham going to paint Liverpools manager with one brush, then they have to paint every club manager with it.

In fact, your intimation that Harry and Levy are friends, implies favoritism, and one set of rules for one manager, and a totally different set for the rest.
    Which quite frankly makes it worse.

Either football is a business, or it's not, so friendship means Jack.
    And we all know that football is a business.

Now if it turns out that Liverpool were in contact with Keane illegally, then that's a completely different story, and they should be punished accordingly.
    But I highly, highly, doubt that they were, and as was pointed out earlier, untill proven guilty, are innocent.

So all in all, no my friend, your post proved nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

pyure wrote: »

Exactly what part of that is tapping up on uniteds part ? Am I missing something here ? :confused:
    In short, yes you are missing something here. Making a public bid for a player, showing interest in a player does not mean that you have not tapped up the player. The duplicity of Manu in this regard is laughable tbh.

Now if it turns out that Liverpool were in contact with Keane illegally, then that's a completely different story, and they should be punished accordingly.
    But I highly, highly, doubt that they were, and as was pointed out earlier, untill proven guilty, are innocent.

Thta's funny, because you have been happy to fling accusations at Spurs re. Bostock and Eto'o with rather flimsy "evidence" to back up your claim. Innocent until proven guilty you say?

My point re. Pompey and Spurs is clear enough, none of us are aware of what discussions have gone on or how far advanced they are but I believe it is not a giant leap of faith to suggest that both clubs have been in discussions on a mutually beneficial transfer, completely different from an uninvited move for one of our strikers by Liverpool.

Spurs want to sell Kaboul.
    Portsmouth want to buy him.
    Kaboul's agent is aware of this.
    Kaboul knows he is surplus to requirements.

Just how will Redknapp's comment undermine Spurs' negotiations? It's not like Kaboul is now demanding a move we'd rather not give him...:rolleyes:

It is also clear that the allegations made by Daniel Levy do not rest solely on one comment by Rafa Benitez:
    Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the PL about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player. Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of PL rules of conduct.

"Our subsequent position has been severely compromised by both clubs making their intentions widely known and indeed making contact with the players and their agents, without the Club's permission.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either. However, when a player's head is turned and their commitment is absent, particularly when they occupy key positions such as that of striker, they become a negative influence in a team dressing room in which they were once a positive addition and influence. This is the situation we now have on our hands, with both Dimitar and Robbie having made it clear that they wish to leave for Manchester Utd and Liverpool respectively.

Any attempt to put Redknapp's comments in the same category as those allegations is pathetic.
    Hull City manager Phil Brown has told BBC Radio Humberside he has made a bid for Wigan striker Marlon King.

Talks have taken place with Latics manager Steve Bruce about the 28-year-old and the deal has now moved up to "chairman-to-chairman" level.

He said: "There's a lot of work to do. If I get the chance to sit down with him, then who knows where it will go."

I suppose you'll try and claim that's the same as well...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/7513964.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fergie hits back:
    Sir Alex Ferguson says Tottenham face "embarrassment" for complaining to the Premier League over Manchester United being linked to Dimitar Berbatov.

A national newspaper quoted the United manager as saying he expected to sign Bulgaria striker Berbatov, 27.

But Ferguson denied the reports, saying: "I don't know where they got those quotes from, it wasn't from me.

"It's going to be very embarrassing for Spurs because the complaint appears to be on the basis of a story in a paper."

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy accused United of being hypocritical, given that the European Champions reported Real Madrid to governing body Fifa because they believed the Spanish champions were publicly courting Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Insane
    And the chairman said both United and Liverpool, who reportedly want to sign Spurs captain Robbie Keane, had behaved disrespectfully.

Levy said on Friday: "The public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players."

Speaking after United's 1-1 draw against Kaizer Chiefs in a Cape Town friendly, Ferguson added: "It's embarrassing for them but you know what Daniel Levy is like. He's different.

"It's something to ask chief executive David Gill about because I haven't really spoken to him about it because I've been preparing for the match."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7513117.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

have the PL responded or set a date for a hearing or anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol @ Levi, wasn't following this story but is he reporting us over a Sun article? God he is such an embarrasment to Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

RasTa wrote: »
    lol @ Levi, wasn't following this story but is he reporting us over a Sun article? God he is such an embarrasment to Spurs.

Why would you laugh at Levy or call him an embarrassment to the club? As far as I'm concerned he's done the correct thing by Spurs, and if his allegations turn out to be true we'll all laugh at Ferguson, especially now that he's come out and said this. If, on the other hand, Levy has made these allegations up and is using them as a smokescreen to sell the players without making it seem like he wanted to, then he should leave the club, and Spurs should be punished - and I'm a Spurs fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this whole situation is pretty funny.

Levy bitched about Utd and Liverpool in order to shift the blame onto the players, and hope fans ignore that one of the reasons they were so **** last year was because he spunked 16 million on a striker when other areas of the squad desperately needed money.

But in his attempt to shift the blame, he himself showed himself once again to be an utter tool by basing it all on a Sun quote, which was just made up.
    Then at the same time, weakened his position by acknowledging they have to sell.

PHB wrote: »
    But in his attempt to shift the blame, he himself showed himself once again to be an utter tool by basing it all on a Sun quote, which was just made up.
    Then at the same time, weakened his position by acknowledging they have to sell.

We don't know that's the only source he has to base his complaint on, so less of the "tool" thank you very much.

Fair enough, we do know he said its been a series of incidents. Nonetheless, as Fergie said, starting it after an alleged misquote is pretty foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

We don't know that's the only source he has to base his complaint on, so less of the "tool" thank you very much.

we don't know either way, and on the face of it the timing of things would seem to back united up so far.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Why would you laugh at Levy or call him an embarrassment to the club? As far as I'm concerned he's done the correct thing by Spurs, and if his allegations turn out to be true we'll all laugh at Ferguson, especially now that he's come out and said this. If, on the other hand, Levy has made these allegations up and is using them as a smokescreen to sell the players without making it seem like he wanted to, then he should leave the club, and Spurs should be punished - and I'm a Spurs fan.

Levy is an embarasment because of what he did with Martin Jol and always will be in my eyes. He has done this before with Carrick and it was actually Levy who has confirmed our interest in Berbatov and not United.

• Advertisement

He has done this before with Carrick and it was actually Levy who has confirmed our interest in Berbatov and not United.

Actually it was his agent...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=554981&cc=5739

But let's not let that get in the way of a good dig at Levy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Looking from the outside in, Levy has done wonders for Spuds.

The fact that you have Berbatov in the first place, managed to con United out of a small fortune for Carrick, and snapped up Modric and Dos Santos, is remarkable, and wouldn't have happened with the Spuds of the 90's.

Also, Fergie always goes on the ultra defensive when the finger is pointed at him. Butter wouldn't melt in that mans mouth.

I think this whole situation is pretty funny.

Levy bitched about Utd and Liverpool in order to shift the blame onto the players, and hope fans ignore that one of the reasons they were so **** last year was because he spunked 16 million on a striker when other areas of the squad desperately needed money.

You are missing a lot of "imo" in your statement above. In fact you are as guilty of pressuming as much as Fergie assumes Levy is.

Nobody, bar Levy, knows exactly what he is talking about.

How do you know that Berbatov's agent has not confirmed an underhand approach from Manu for their player? How about the same for Keane?

I mean, it's hardly like Manu have not got a record in this regard now, is it? And as for Fegie manipulating the media for his own end...heaven forbid that he ever be accused of doing that.

If anybody is acting the tool, it looks like it's fergie tbh :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Just reading in the paper(Not The Sun unlike Levy ;)) today that if Levy's claims aren't proved to the FA he's going to be looking at one hell of an expensive defemation case that will be brought against him by United and Liverpool. So if I was him I would really, really want my claims to be backed up with 100% concrete evidence and not just misquotes taken from The Sun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Just reading in the paper(Not The Sun unlike Levy ;)) today that if Levy's claims aren't proved to the FA he's going to be looking at one hell of an expensive defemation case that will be brought against him by United and Liverpool. So if I was him I would really, really want my claims to be backed up with 100% concrete evidence and not just misquotes taken from The Sun. :D

The damages that are awarded in a defamation case, whilst big to most, would be a pittance to a bloke of Levy's wealth. Also, defamation actions rarely go to trial and get settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

The damages that are awarded in a defamation case, whilst big to most, would be a pittance to a bloke of Levy's wealth. Also, defamation actions rarely go to trial and get settled.

All the same it would be very embarrasing for Levy were this to happen.

Actually it was his agent...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=554981&cc=5739

But let's not let that get in the way of a good dig at Levy...

That's agent talk, he is the one who confirmed that we put a bid in. Playing the 'look at me I have to sell my best players now' card. You still like him after what he did to Jol?

Also this is sweet Karma for Spurs after John Bostock so I've no sympathy for Levi or any Spurs fan moaning for that matter..

Also this is sweet Karma for Spurs after John Bostock so I've no sympathy for Levi or any Spurs fan moaning for that matter..

What is wrong with what Spurs did with Bostock? They did nothing illegal, and if Spurs didn't do it, another PL club would have done it. Before bashing Spurs, why don't you read the text below and see just how much Palace can/will earn from the Bostock tribunal. Fair enough it won't be as much up front, but if he reaches the potential Jordan was stating he has, they have no need to worry.

This was posted on a Spurs site, pulled from the Palace site;

This was passed on to me by a Palace supporter who tells me that it appeared on the Palace site and is a letter replying to a lawyer who had written to the FA seeking clarification of the Tribunal's decision in determining the fee.

"Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the transfer of John Bostock from Crystal PaIace to Tottenham Hotspur. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. This issue and a number of other issues has seen a particularly high volume of enquiries. The Football League has been working hard to work through the backlog.

I hope the following explanation of the Professional Football Compensation Committee’s (known as the ‘Tribunal’) decision, puts light upon the actual decision made in relation to the registration of John Bostock.

The Committee decided that Tottenham Hotspur Football Club should pay Crystal Palace Football Club an initial compensation fee of £700,000 plus VAT.

In addition, Tottenham Hotspur should pay Crystal Palace a further payment of £250,000 in the event of the player making 5 first team appearances for Tottenham Hotspur in a recognised competitive match; a further payment of £250,000 in the event of the player making 10 first team appearances; a further £250,000 in the event of the player making 20 first team appearances; a further £250,000 in the event of the player making 30 first team appearances; and a further £250,000 in the event of the player making 40 first team appearances in recognised matches. Should the player leave prior to completion of 5, 10, 20, 30 or 40 first team appearances then Tottenham Hotspur should pay Crystal Palace pro-rata on the number of first team appearances made. An appearance is defined as the player starting a match or being a used substitute who enters the field of play.

In addition Tottenham Hotspur should pay to Crystal Palace a further sum of £200,000 in the event of the player making his full International debut (only National A matches as defined by FIFA count as Internationals for these purposes). An International ‘A’ match is a match arranged between two members of FIFA and for which both Members field their first representative team.

Should the player leave Tottenham Hotspur at any time in the future for a transfer/compensation fee in excess of the fee paid, then Tottenham Hotspur should pay Crystal Palace 15% of such excess.

The Committee gave the following reasons for reaching its conclusion as follows.

Crystal Palace are entitled to compensation as provided for in the Regulations. The Club had no subsisting contractual relationship with the player. The player had been at Crystal Palace for a long period and had been developed by the Crystal Palace academy over a number of years.

The Committee took into account the costs of the academy and other matters set out in the Regulations. In looking at comparators it had regard to compensation value as fixed by other Tribunals (eg J Defoe) rather than ‘market’ fees agreed for players (A Ramsey). The player had achieved a considerable amount at Crystal Palace which will be a foundation for what he achieves in the future, but his future development and improvement will come from what he learns from Tottenham Hotspur. The Committee took the view that whilst he is a very talented young player he cannot be regarded as unique. As is usually the case, the losing club probably overstated the value of the player and the acquiring club understated his present level of performance and prospects. As a result the level of compensation fixed was not in line with the proposals put forward by either club."

This seem to suggest that if Bostock reaches his potential and passes all the milestones Palace will get:-
    £700k initial fee
    £250k - 5 appearances
    £250k 10 appearances
    £250k - 20 appearances
    £250k - 30 appearances
    £250k - 40 appearances

£200k - if he plays for england

= £2,150,000.00

Then add on 15% of any excess of a future sale above £700k

Therefore, if he meets his potential then the deal could be worth £3-3.5 or more if he's ever sold for a ridiculously high price.

So instead of getting £3 million up front, or whatever it was they were looking for, they'll get it over a period of time. Plus, the chances are that any cash deal for Bostock would have been broken up like this anyway, based on appearances, and not all up front, so the differences are minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Sure not to worry if he's any good either liverpool, man Utd, chelsea or arsenal will sign him. ;)

From the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7514933.stm

"Tottenham have submitted a year's worth of evidence to the Premier League to support their complaint over Manchester United's pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov.

A newspaper report quoting United boss Sir Alex Ferguson as saying he expected to sign the striker is understood to be only one of Spurs' concerns.

Ferguson denies making the comments, but the Londoners believe United have broken Premier League rules.

Spurs have also reported Liverpool for their public courting of Robbie Keane."

and

""The public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players," he said.

"It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Hobart wrote: »
    "The public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players," he said.

[/i]"

whatever he may have said or done - this was not done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/22/manual_154054.html

Manchester United's Scandinavian supporters' branch claims they were to blame for the recent quotes attributed to Sir Alex Ferguson talking about Dimitar Berbatov.

The group, who run a popular website in Norway, published quotes from Ferguson which are in turn believed to have been carried by some leading British newspapers.

Although the interview from Ferguson about Berbatov was claimed as an exclusive by one newspaper, the webmaster for the supporters' club feels they are to blame after misquoting the United boss.

"A feather has become 35 hens here. It might seem like we are to blame for what has happened," admitted the branch's webmaster Steinar Madsen to Aftonposten.

"We are to the blame in the sense how the interview was presented. Ferguson didn't mention the name Berbatov when he was interviewed by us.

"I would call it a misunderstanding. It was tricky conditions for the interview.

"As journalists, you have probably experienced this yourself, how it is to listen to the tape afterwards.

"That can cause problems and Ferguson's accent is not too easy to understand to start with.

"Ferguson confirmed that United had tabled an offer.

"We assumed it was Berbatov he was talking about. We might have taken it too far."

LOLOLOLOL

So Tottenham submit a dosier of a years worth of evidence on Utd (yeah right), and "report" Liverpool.

So basically, they think that they have something to complain about with Utd and Berbatov, including alleged newspaper comments.
    But with Liverpool, they have nothing.
    No evidence at all to support claims of tapping up.

They think they have something with Utd and Berbatov, and maybe even do (although I doubt it personaly), but have nothing on Liverpool, but paint them with the same brush.
    Where's the dosier on Keane?!
    There is none, cause Tottenham are crying wolf.

Even though nothing will come of this, and Keane will more than likely move to Liverpool, I'm still sickened that Tottenham can baselessly accuse us.
    Some of the mud will stick, and the average football fan will just assume it's true.:mad:

Which is further evidence that the whole thing started because of the alleged quotes. Fergie allegedly talked about Berbatov. Rafa talked about Keane some time a while ago didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This whole saga is about Levy squeezing more money out of United for Berbatov.

The Bulgarian and his agent have come out publicly nearly every month for the past 12 stating they are moving on this summer for champions league football. So Levy acting shocked and moralistic is a rouse and a sad one at that. He is the same man that was giving Jol the vote of confidence while at the same time courting Ramos without his employers notice, so people in glass houses, etc.

I think it not such a signifcant loss if Spurs sell both Keane and Berbatov as you would be led to believe, combined with the Sunderland bid that would be 60 - 70 million, not a bad bit of business and not a bad way to run a business when you consider United are 800 million in debt and Liverpool 350m.

I think Bent will step up to the plate this season, he is still young and managed 6-8 goals last season although he was injured for 5 months and got alot of his goals from the bench. As far as I am aware he didn't complain once and his attitude which is spot on is loved by clubs and fans alike.

It seems Spurs will play one striker up front next season with support from deep, that support by all accounts will be coming from Arshavin who will be the perfect player for Bent to play off as this is how he played when he was on fire at Charlton. Add to the mix Dos Santo and Modric and with maybe Lennon stepping up to the plate, that is some supply line.

As I said my opinion on the whole saga is that Spurs are not that upset at the prospect of losing Keane and Berbatov, smoke and mirrors to squeeze the extra few million, although knowing Rafa and his tight pockets Keane more than likely will be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

What did Ferguson mean by the comment(But you know what Daniel Levy is like. He is different.)?

How is he different?

I think Ferguson has opened his own can of legal worm's!

Which is further evidence that the whole thing started because of the alleged quotes. Fergie allegedly talked about Berbatov. Rafa talked about Keane some time a while ago didn't he?

Rafa only mentioned Keane publically after he had made an official move for him (same as with Barry).
    All he said, after being asked if he was trying to buy Keane by a reporter, was that he was an inteligent player who was on the list of players that he was looking at.
    All perfectly within the rules.
    In fact, all that Levy accused Liverpool of was discussing their interest publically.
    Which isn't illegal.
    Which is why the say that the "reported" Liverpool.
    They know that nothin wrong was done, but want to imply that it was to muddy the waters.

I'd love to se this backfire for Levy.

Dave! wrote: »
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/22/manual_154054.html

Manchester United's Scandinavian supporters' branch claims they were to blame for the recent quotes attributed to Sir Alex Ferguson talking about Dimitar Berbatov.

The group, who run a popular website in Norway, published quotes from Ferguson which are in turn believed to have been carried by some leading British newspapers.

Although the interview from Ferguson about Berbatov was claimed as an exclusive by one newspaper, the webmaster for the supporters' club feels they are to blame after misquoting the United boss.

"A feather has become 35 hens here. It might seem like we are to blame for what has happened," admitted the branch's webmaster Steinar Madsen to Aftonposten.

"We are to the blame in the sense how the interview was presented. Ferguson didn't mention the name Berbatov when he was interviewed by us.

"I would call it a misunderstanding. It was tricky conditions for the interview.

"As journalists, you have probably experienced this yourself, how it is to listen to the tape afterwards.

"That can cause problems and Ferguson's accent is not too easy to understand to start with.

"Ferguson confirmed that United had tabled an offer.

"We assumed it was Berbatov he was talking about. We might have taken it too far."

LOLOLOLOL

Two things - 1) if this is Levy's sole evidence (and I seriously doubt it is) then he is truly an idiot and shouldn't be running Premiership football team. 2) this sounds like such a crap cover up. It's a Utd fan site that published what Ferguson said in an interview. They were Scandinavian interviewers who would undoubtedly have a good grasp of english and Ferguson's accent isn't that difficult to understand that you could mistakingly think he said Berbatov when he didn't. This sounds as if Utd were in touch asking them to retract the statement, nothing more.

Not that it matters. As I've said if this is all the evidence Levy has then he is most definitely an idiot.

It's clearly not the only evidence he thinks he has. But he reported the thing after Fergie allegedly made those comments, so I'd imagine it was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Two things - 1) if this is Levy's sole evidence (and I seriously doubt it is) then he is truly an idiot and shouldn't be running Premiership football team. 2) this sounds like such a crap cover up. It's a Utd fan site that published what Ferguson said in an interview. They were Scandinavian interviewers who would undoubtedly have a good grasp of english and Ferguson's accent isn't that difficult to understand that you could mistakingly think he said Berbatov when he didn't. This sounds as if Utd were in touch asking them to retract the statement, nothing more.

Not that it matters. As I've said if this is all the evidence Levy has then he is most definitely an idiot.

Supposedly they have the interview tapes.
    If that's the case then it can be proved either way.
    Lots of small time clubs and orginisations warp interviews cause usualy only a few hundred people read it.
    They hardly expected the English media, and then the Spurs chairman to pick it up!

Remember how a tv show "Dream Team" had a story before about how one of their fictional player was signing for Liverpool in the show.
    The NOTW picked up on it, thought it was a real player that Liverpool were signing and ran a story on it.
    Even Liverpools own ClubCall service was telling callers that we were about to sign him!
    Anything can happen when an interview is mis-written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bump

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has stoked the fires of his long-standing grudge with Tottenham by describing the North London club as ‘hypocrisy personified’ over their strong stance against Manchester United.

Tottenham have reported the English champions to The Premier League for their pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov, and a strongly-worded statement from chairman Daniel Levy on July 18 accused United of ‘sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players’ after reputed quotes from Sir Alex Ferguson that have since been discredited.

Levy also described United’s conduct as ‘disgraceful’ and accused Ferguson of being ‘unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid’.

However, Levy’s response to United’s interest in his star player has been met with incredulity in Spain, after Tottenham infuriated Sevilla last season when prising coach Juande Ramos from Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

Spurs officials were pictured meeting the then-Sevilla boss in August 2007 and Del Nido even threatened to report Tottenham to Fifa for allegedly making an illegal approach.

Twelve months down the line, the Sevilla chairman has made perfectly clear he feels little sympathy for Levy and Spurs in their current predicament.

“Tottenham are hypocrisy personified,” Del Nido told the Spanish press.

The North London club are also believed to be chasing Sevilla winger Diego Capel but Del Nido is determined not to let the player leave the club, stating: “Capel is not for sale.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hypocrisy meets hypocrisy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what it comes down it is that everybody does it, which we already knew. They're all guilty. Some more then others, but none of them can really go throwing the first stone. (biblical references ftw!)

Advertisement