Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Importance, general discussion of

• 18-07-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

How do you know if you are self-important?

Self importance is an over used term IMO. And a negative concept that suggests people shouldnt' value themselves highly. If people are too worried about being self important, they repress and negate their own energy and personality. Self flagellation is no good for someone. Shouldn't people be honest about their egotism?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think you are confusing self-worth with self-importance. Truly egoistical individuals cannot be honest about this as it would defeat their main purpose in life, which is to get as much out of others as possible. A true egoist is aware that this behaviour is generally frowned upon so conceal their true nature to pursue their own ends. So really, when you are in the presence of a bona fida egoist, you won't know it. They don't trumpet their over inflated sense of self-importance, but keep it well concealed. Truly chilling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Heh heh heh, have a look at aristotle's "magnanimous man".......he's a prick!. But you can contrast that to teh christian idea of how people should be modest and all that.

I see what you mean sardonicat, but what about hurting other peoples feelings and the like? For example, If I have done well in a test I like to loudly congratulate myself and dance about a bit, however, if there are others near me who have done bad, I will refrain from doing so lest I hurt their feelings. But yeah...... it's scary stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

raah! wrote: »
    For example, If I have done well in a test I like to loudly congratulate myself and dance about a bit, however, if there are others near me who have done bad, I will refrain from doing so lest I hurt their feelings. But yeah...... it's scary stuff :D
    My take on that would be to disregard other people's feelings: If I was happy for doing well, I'd dance around. So what of other people didn't do so well? That shouldn't stop me being happy and expressing it. Is that self-important?

I think people should be allowed to be self-important but within reason. If they have warranted confidence in themselves, they should not be afraid to believe in themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think people should certainly value themselves but not to the point where it negatively impacts on others. I would qualify that by saying it depends a lot on context and value judgements. For example someone could exercise their self belief to openly criticize the way a group of people behave and they could be right to do so if that behaviour was harmful to others or to themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Pretentious moi?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think you are confusing self-worth with self-importance. Truly egoistical individuals cannot be honest about this as it would defeat their main purpose in life, which is to get as much out of others as possible. A true egoist is aware that this behaviour is generally frowned upon so conceal their true nature to pursue their own ends. So really, when you are in the presence of a bona fida egoist, you won't know it. They don't trumpet their over inflated sense of self-importance, but keep it well concealed. Truly chilling stuff.

Very well put indeed ,and they come from all walks of life to .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement