Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here work in an Abattoir?

• 18-07-2008 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

(If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry, could the mods please move the thread, thank you).

Basically I'm writing something during holidays from College and I need to know a couple of things in general about the Ins and Outs of working in an Abattoir. (including basic trivia, training, and work flow)
    If anyone here does in fact work in one I have a list of short questions I need answers to, Please PM me and ill send along the list.
    I would be greatful if you obliged.

Thanks.
    GM.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Question one. Do your saws have any problem cutting through human bones?
    Question Two. Do you store acid on site, or do I need to bring my own.
    Question Three. How DO you get blood out of the curtains in your sitting dissecting room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

GM: What are you writing? Oo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is this more sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

It's basically a story thats been floating around my head for the last year and i want to put it into print to make room for more stuff in my head ;)
    I've told a few poeple and they say, "so, you're writing a novel?"
    which you could say is true however im not going to treat it like that.

I've always been interesting in writing as a hobby, so i've been trying to tap into ait a little further to see if its really a thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Best of luck with it.
    Try ringing/writing to some abbatoires directly? I'd image they're pretty shy about showing you around, but if you explain that you just want to chat/interview an employee, they might be a bit more responsive.

Moved to Vegetarians, Vegans & Misc. Hippehs forum. >_>

I might just try that Karoma, thanks!

I want it to look decent and not half-arsed, basically i want there to be some solid research behind it and not obvious that i'd have made some random trivia up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Karoma wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.
    Try ringing/writing to some abbatoires directly? I'd image they're pretty shy about showing you around,
    i don't see why tbh me and my da had a look around once when he was delivering cattle.there aren't many peta type crazies in ireland,plus the meat factories work to a very very high standard.op i may be able to answer a few general questions,if you want to find out the 'gory details'maybe check out a turn of the 19th century piece called 'the jungle'

Goat Mouth wrote: »

I want it to look decent and not half-arsed, basically i want there to be some solid research behind it and not obvious that i'd have made some random trivia up.
    a buddy of mine used to service the machinery in one, and he said the factories are fairly disgusting!

if i were you and gettin some on site research done, then i wouldnt have a breakfast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Goat Mouth wrote: »

Can we get a mention in the credits? ;)

• Advertisement

i may be able to answer a few general questions,if you want to find out the 'gory details'maybe check out a turn of the 19th century piece called 'the jungle'

Mind if i PM you some of the Questions? they're pretty basic questions, I rushed them while in work today
    taidghbaby wrote:
    if i were you and gettin some on site research done, then i wouldnt have a breakfast!!

I'm not particularly squeamish, however there has been some times... :eek:
    but I'm going to try and keep the gore toned down for the story's sake (otherwise it would really be gratuitous)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

yea pm them to me,can't guarantee i'll have the answers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Some butcher shops still slaughter their own cattle, Is that relevant to what your asking about. I was around a butcher shop. The butcher would soak the ground with water, and the cow to be slaughtered would be brought in onto the stone. The stones would be fricitonless and the cow would be unable to charge. It would try to charge and struggle as it might it could never get a grip on the wet floor. Its throat would be cut by hand with a knife and it would bleed painlessly to death.

pirelli wrote: »
    Its throat would be cut by hand with a knife and it would bleed painlessly to death.

Sounds painless. Want to confirm the theory?

I think rules are much more stringent these days.
    As far as I know, and I don't particularly want to.
    Two vets have to confirm that the animals are not distressed before a slaughter.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Sounds painless. Want to confirm the theory?

I think rules are much more stringent these days.
    As far as I know, and I don't particularly want to.
    Two vets have to confirm that the animals are not distressed before a slaughter.
    seemingly...and i dont know this for sure (i was told by someone else):

the first animal in the morning wanders in happily totally unaware of his fate!!
    after that as the next animals are brought in they can smell the blood of the first animal and then realise their fate....basically **** themselves then!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

taidghbaby wrote: »
    basically **** themselves then!!!

As opposed to when they are away from abbatoirs and exhibit perfect potty training :p

I got a fairly detailed tour of one a few years back OP, I'll have a go if you want.

Channel 4 did a programme lately on the process involved and it was very explicit. I can't find it but it dealt with veal (young calves) the week I saw it.

Advertisement