Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

stevoman wrote: »

stevo while I personally think that's a great video it might get you banned here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Vegeta wrote: »
    stevo while I personally think that's a great video it might get you banned here. :(

true and respescted!

mods, my point is to point peoples awarness to how the fox will keep returning to the scene of the crime. im not trying to start a mass culling of foxes, but to make awarness of the suffering of the poultry aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Stevoman, that is totally inappropiate for this forum. I agree that sometimes it's necessary but thats taking it too far.

Stevoman, that is totally inappropiate for this forum. I agree that sometimes it's necessary but thats taking it too far.
    sorry helena i didnt think so. thats just real life but if the mods want to take it down thats fine. as i said im not trying to start a massive arguement here, its was just food for though IMO. i post here regularly and never cause any problems so i hope that the mods can see where i was coming from with the video and to highlight how much poulry can suffer from foxes, whic IMO is an issue that is very much overlooked in modern society. i took the link from the bbc news channel, its not as if i went to youtube to see some sort amatuer crueltly flicks. this is a piece of recent journalism on the topic.

stevoman wrote: »
    sorry helena i didnt think so. thats just real life but if the mods want to take it down thats fine. as i said im not trying to start a massive arguement here, its was just food for though IMO. i post here regularly and never cause any problems so i hope that the mods can see where i was coming from with the video and to highlight how much poulry can suffer from foxes, whic IMO is an issue that is very much overlooked in modern society.
    for this forum though a video like that is not right. I see your point and the same people who shout about not killing the foxes are the ones who insist on free range eggs (like me tbh). I understand it needs to be done sometimes. I just think your point could have been made without the video. Anyway, this is not the right thread for this particular disagreement. I've already given out about you in the thread at the top of the page :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Eddie Hobbs - you said in OP that you are house sitting :
    Housesitting at the moment and looking after some hens geese and ducks.
    Am I right in presuming the poultry belong to the person who owns the house, rather than yourself?

If so, maybe you should contact them & ask them how they want the problem dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can't hear the sound in the video, but from what I can see, the only "animal cruelty" featured in this video is what one animal inflicts onto another ...in other words: nature.

The killing of the fox certainly didn't look cruel to me, it was swift and effective ..I can't see any reason why the posting of this video should result in a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i think op has all the advice he needs. up to him now what to do. lets leave it at that.

peasant wrote: »
    ...in other words: nature.
    Yes nature, one animal killing another. It wasn't nature which put those chickens there, nor was it nature who shot that fox.

peasant wrote: »
    .I can't see any reason why the posting of this video should result in a ban.
    I don't think he should, or will be banned but technically, the charter has not been changed, so if the mods were being sticklers for the rules, then he broke a rule.

The posting of this video should bring up a discussion on whether videos/images like this should be allowed in this forum. point could have been very easily made without the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

That was just blatant animal cruelty .Why werent the chicken fenced in properly with wire,The poor fox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Thanks for all the replies

Just to make things clear killing the fox would be a last resort for me, my main hope in posting here was to get ideas on how to deter the fox from taking the poultry
    you would have to have the radio on very near where the poultry are for it to work, not inside the house.

I did have the radio on in the shed, turned up to the last!!
    LisaO Am I right in presuming the poultry belong to the person who owns the house, rather than yourself?

If so, maybe you should contact them & ask them how they want the problem dealt with?

I dont want to disturb them as they are on holidays and dont want them to worry too much about it either

Morganna wrote: »
    That was just blatant animal cruelty .Why werent the chicken fenced in properly with wire.
    because they are free range......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Even free range chickens only need so much land my anuts nieghbour has free range every bird under the sun and divided up the land and penned them of with fennching that is deep in the ground as well as an over hang to stop foxes climbing them.He hasn,t had any problems with foxes and did it to save himself money in the long run.

The farmers just won't put the money into it. They bring it on themselfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I dont want to disturb them as they are on holidays and dont want them to worry too much about it either

Can understand that but speaking as someone who keeps hens & ducks AND who has a house-sitter when we are on hols, I know I would prefer the phone call than to come back & find all my birds gone! This is a potential problem for anyone who keeps poultry & something you need to have addressed (at least in your mind) in case the situation ever arises. Could be that the owners have a very clear idea of how they would deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Impreza82

Not a lot you can do, unless they are VERY well fenced in you are pretty much at the mercy of the fox. It doesnt matter what time of day or even if you have dogs around the house they will still come , especially when they are feeding cubs.Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The farmers just won't put the money into it. They bring it on themselfs.

Oh my, so farmers in the hills of Kerry should fence in all their land? Keep Ireland open would love that.

Fencing is expensive and can be time consuming, more than one fox will repeatedly and aggrevate any weakness in the fence, even if its been fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If a fox sees hens roaming around with no dog to protect them, of course all he sees is free dinner.

Culling foxes can be a problem, because it results in *new* foxes moving in, which don't know the regular food sources.

A reasonable population of local, old-gentry, we've-been-here-for-generations type foxes is a good thing to have - they keep the country clean of rodents. It's when people try to wipe foxes out that you run into problems.

Since you're minding the hens, my suggestion is that either you contact the owners and ask them what to do, or you keep the hens in. Better slightly stir-crazy than slightly dead.

i know of two farmers who've lost fowl during the day despite having dogs around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

luckat wrote: »
    If a fox sees hens roaming around with no dog to protect them, of course all he sees is free dinner.

Culling foxes can be a problem, because it results in *new* foxes moving in, which don't know the regular food sources.

A reasonable population of local, old-gentry, we've-been-here-for-generations type foxes is a good thing to have - they keep the country clean of rodents. It's when people try to wipe foxes out that you run into problems.

Since you're minding the hens, my suggestion is that either you contact the owners and ask them what to do, or you keep the hens in. Better slightly stir-crazy than slightly dead.
    That is so true luckat

luckat wrote: »

your humanising foxes again. old gentry, been here for generations... the fox that takes is place will be from the area too.foxes populations are constantly changing due to hunting, road kill, being forced off by stronger dog foxes all different reasons. and a fox in any area will know all the regular food sources. this notion that old fox is better then a new one is nonsense. all foxes are killers and all will take stock when the chance arises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Whitser, you're absolutely right.

What I mean is that if there's a controllable residential population of foxes, they know where the good stuff is - in terms of rats and mice, for instance.

If foxes are wiped out in the area, a new hungry poplation moves in, and doesn't know the good places to hunt, so those foxes will go for the easier prey, such as unfenced or inadequately fenced hens.

(Incidentally, I've known a couple of people who kept foxes and pets, and everyone seemed pretty happy with the arrangement, though there was a certain perfume left in the air after they passed by.)

first, i never advocated wiping out all the foxes from an area. second any fox will always take the easiest meal available to it. the only thing that will come into it is how hungry he is and how mush risk he'll take. and this happens when theres competition for food ie too many foxes in an area. so culling and hunting(not exterminating every fox) keeps numbers at a controlable healthy level.

Advertisement