Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

import bmw

Options
  • 18-07-2008 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

lads if i was to buy a 2008 bmw 320d se from england what would the vrt on it be the mileage is 3135miles and it was first registered in january

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Al C

As far as i know once its over 6 months old and/or has over 5,000 km on the clock the Revenue will accept it as a 2nd Vehicle (Anything less and the charge VRT on the New Price!!!) so going buy your post you should be ok, just!

www.ros.ie has revenue's VRT calculator on it, but be warned they bump up the charge for any nice extra's. Probably best to call your local Vehicle Reg office...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

manual/automatic? what extras are on it? metalic paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read below carefully: from http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt1.htm#section13 The emphasis on the 'or' is mine!
    When is VAT chargeable and payable?
    New means of transport from other Member States of the EU

In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase.
    So, either under 6 months old, or less than 6,000km on clock - you have to pay VAT as well as VRT.

You would still have to pay VAT on a one year old car if it had less than 6,000km on it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15 9332EDWARD

Take a look at carzone..there is a 08 320d SE for 35950 euros. VRT'ed and taxed for a year.Black with 4000 miles.Worth a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I recently heard of someone who bought a 535d registered on 2nd Feb 2008 from UK. They went in to clear it on the 2nd of July. The guy behind the counter tried to charge the VAT as well. A bit of convincing was needed.

Also note that for any BMW/Merc/VW that is relatively new they will charge for extras. You will not be able to pay your VRT on first visit. They will have to check with manufacturers for any extras fitted to youe car. They do this using chassis (VIN) number. A colleague of mine was charged €70 extra for metallic paint on a Passat. I tought this was way too pedantic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I recently heard of someone who bought a 535d registered on 2nd Feb 2008 from UK. They went in to clear it on the 2nd of July. The guy behind the counter tried to charge the VAT as well. A bit of convincing was needed.!

Surely VAT would have been due as it was less than six months old?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

esel wrote: »
    Read below carefully: from http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt1.htm#section13 The emphasis on the 'or' is mine!

So, either under 6 months old, or less than 6,000km on clock - you have to pay VAT as well as VRT.

You would still have to pay VAT on a one year old car if it had less than 6,000km on it.

I can personally Gaurantee that the Dublin VRT / Revenue website is very misleading regading VAT on imported cars. It is not 6,000 km OR 6 months old it is BOTH > 6 months old AND more than 6k Km. The definition of New mode of transport is an EU definition and is very badly explained in the Revenue.ie website. Loot at the UK Customs and it much better. I also phoned the UK and they confirmed several Irish imports get stung. How do I know so well? I imported in June a Jan 2008 Audi with 9k miles and based on the Irish website took it that no VAT was payable. Got stung for the VAT, but lucky the Audi dealer in UK was great and it been OK to recalim the UK Vat. However you do need there assistance to complete form UK VAT form 411. Still a great deal, saved the guts of 8k on a much nicer speced car that was not available here.
    Also, in the Dublin Revenue they will have a checklist they go through. Depends on who you get, but in tallaght that are not the worst. I paid 1 K over the website price for Metallic & Leather, but there were lots of "other extras" not on the checklist. If you got someone who really knew there cars in the revenue you could really pay a truckload of extra VRT. I had no complaints as still a massive saving. However you need to research fully and be realistic that you will pay extra for anything extra on the car.

Surely VAT would have been due as it was less than six months old?

No VAT was paid on this car. That I am sure of. It was exactly 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

2 Feb - 2 July is 5 months..........
    Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    I recently heard of someone who bought a 535d registered on 2nd Feb 2008 from UK. They went in to clear it on the 2nd of July. The guy behind the counter tried to charge the VAT as well. A bit of convincing was needed.!

My bad, i meant to say 2nd Jan, the car was exactly 6 months old when he brought it in.
    Apologies. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

fortyplus wrote: »
    ... VRT / Revenue website is very misleading regading VAT on imported cars. It is not 6,000 km OR 6 months old it is BOTH > 6 months old AND more than 6k Km. ...

Great to hear that the dealer cooperated and you manged to reclaim the UK VAT. I agree that UK customs have things much clearer and that revenue's website should better explain the VAT but I don't think it's misleading at all, it fully concurs with the UK customs guidelines - although you might need a degree in computer programming to follow the greater thans, less thans, ANDs, ORs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭fortyplus

robbie99 wrote: »
    Great to hear that the dealer cooperated and you manged to reclaim the UK VAT. I agree that UK customs have things much clearer and that revenue's website should better explain the VAT but I don't think it's misleading at all, it fully concurs with the UK customs guidelines - although you might need a degree in computer programming to follow the greater thans, less thans, ANDs, ORs etc...

The new explantion is clear on the www.revenue.ie, ( note it has been updated July 2008 giving examples, etc), but in June the description was very ambigious, as agreed by the people in Tallaght office; it was down to the placment of a comma in the AND/OR interpetation. The printed form was even worse. I ain't the dumbest but I still had to read it several times, and it still could be read either way. Again, it's not an Irish definition, it's an EU definition so all States agree on what "New Means of Transport" means
    ( New explanation link below)
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

No VAT was paid on this car. That I am sure of. It was exactly 6 months old.

why don't you set up a business and claim the VAT back???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    why don't you set up a business and claim the VAT back???
    It wasn't my car, it was a friend of mine's dad (writing that sounds like I'm 10 yrs old :D, I'm not). He is retired & unlikely to go into business again. As it turned out he didn't pay VAT anyway as it was deemed to be 6 months old after a worrying discussion with the revenue representative at the counter. It was so tight to the timeline of 6 months 2nd Jan-2nd July that's why the debate generated.

Advertisement