Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF Army Overseas.

• 18-07-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, just out of college and thinking of undergoing cadetship in the PDF Army but I have a few questions. :)
    1. What educational requirements are needed for Cadetship ?
    2. Upon commission as a 2nd Lt will I be posted randomly in the country or randomly in my area ?
    3. What opportunity is there for an Officer to go overseas ?
    Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I can answer the first question.

A degree while unnecessary will give you 10% bonus marks in the Final interview.

Minimum Edu requirements are
    Leaving Certificate:
    3 honours at Higher level
    3 passes at ordinary level

You must do A language for Matriculation (IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

If you have an honours degree you will be commissioned as a 1st Lt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

thanks for the help guys but what if you earned your degree overseas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If its an accredited University it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Thanks for the help guys, but dose anyone know anything about the chances of getting overseas work ?
    Sorry to bring it up again but the chance to represent my country overseas is very important to me. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm not in the PDF but I'd imagine you'd have plenty of chances to serve overseas, why wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

You'll definitely have a chance to head overseas with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

im taking part in this years competition for cadets, at the overnighter in curragh we were told that you will be going overseas 100% in first few years as a junior officer by the officer running the competition this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

im taking part in this years competition for cadets, at the overnighter in curragh we were told that you will be going overseas 100% in first few years as a junior officer by the officer running the competition this year

Was that before or after Lisbon? I read in the most recent Phoenix (Can't confirm obviously) that the PDF was looking forward to closer military ties and cooperation abroad as a result of a yes vote.

Military are supposed to be afraid that if the vote is rerun there will be guarantees written in about non involvement in joint military venture. I'm aware of the triple lock but this is supposed to go beyond it.

Anyway I'm just mentioning it not looking for a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

You wont go oversea's at least for the first 3 years as you have to do your cadetship.

Thats if you can hack it, so learn to walk before you run and the army will only accept Degree from the UK and Ireland, the rest are mickey mouse and null and void..

• Advertisement
Advertisement